0W20 oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I only do about 5K on my 2012 Camry a year which came with the 0W20 oil. Had to argue with the dealer at the 1yr/5K mark to change the oil and filter under the free maintenance program a year ago this November. When they changed the oil they used Mobil oil not Toyota. Since I am not that comfortable going a year on an oil change I was wondering if I could use 5/30 synthetic like in my 08 Highlander every 5K without any issues. Or is there really merit not a gimmick to this 10K or 1 year Toyota oil change interval, seems like they just want to say some $$.

The oil can't tell time, change it when the mileage or owner's manual dictates.

There are members on this board running 3 year old with only 1,000 miles on it.

There is no reason at all to go with 5W30 over 0W20. Any 0W20 oil will be fine.

However, I don't see why the dealer wouldn't honor the free maintenance program as outlined by the manual, you shouldn't have to argue.

quote=901Memphis]0w20 or 5w30 synthetic are fine after 5k in your engine. Going up to 5w30 gives you no advantages, just disadvantages. [/quote]

I live in Fl so low temps are not an issue. What disadvantages are you referring to?

You'll want to stick with 0w-20 for warranty purposes, although if thats not a concern the 5w-30 will make no difference, especially since you aren't seeing cold temperatures in Florida.

Annual changes are fine if you're doing just 5,000 miles in that time. 10,000 highway miles should be fine too, although I wouldn't want to push it that far if you're only taking short trips.

If the bypass setting is specified for a 20 grade oil you could be going into filter bypass more often under conditions that might be lower rpm than normal as well as cold starts with even less throttle. Granted your in Florida so these risks might be smaller but any filter bypassing is best avoided.

Do you go wide open throttle a lot?

Originally Posted By: 007
quote=901Memphis]0w20 or 5w30 synthetic are fine after 5k in your engine. Going up to 5w30 gives you no advantages, just disadvantages.

I live in Fl so low temps are not an issue. What disadvantages are you referring to? [/quote]
You first need to understand that the 0W-20 grade, and preferably the lighter TGMO version, provides all the hot engine protection your engine will ever need and then some. Running the heavier lower VI 5W-30 grade is simply a less efficient lubricant in terms of fuel economy and increased oil drag (less power) particularly on start-up and during warm-up (and yes 100F is a cold for an engine). It's also easier on your engine running an oil with a more optimized viscosity.

I guess my concerns started when the maintenance reminder light went off at 10K recently and I only had 5K since my last oil change 8 months ago. I remember someone once telling me oil should be changed no later than 6 months regardless of the mileage. Struck me as odd that Toyota would have the light set at 5K when the oil fill cap shows 0W20.

I will change it every year on our camry which will be around 4-5K with 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic that I have in my stash.

Originally Posted By: 007
Struck me as odd that Toyota would have the light set at 5K when the oil fill cap shows 0W20.

What?

Currently running the same 4 cylinder engine you should have on 10w30.

Runs quieter than it did on 5w20 thats for sure.

As for the filter bypassing because of a different oil weight... good god the myths that are perpetrated here now.

Yeah, 20w60...MIGHT and I mean MIGHT cause it...but I doubt it.

The vvti on these motors wont even sneeze with 20w50 in the sump.

Im not a fan of leaving oil in that long in our high humidity, even though I know physically the water would evaporate with the increased temps...but Ive never made it to two months on an oil change, so it doesnt matter to me.

5k on conventional or 10k on synthetic in that engine wont matter.

Last edited:
Just so you know the recommended OCI with Toyota Canada has stayed at 5,000 miles and it was only a couple of years ago that Toyota USA increased it to 10,000 miles. Of course you're engines OCM is based on more than just mileage. If you've been doing mostly short trips without the oil consistently getting up to temperature the OCM will trigger sooner.

Having said that, as has been mentioned time is not a significant factor in determining remaining oil life as the engine has to be running for the oil to deteriorate. If the oil is always brought up to temperature to evaporate any condensation and fuel that gets into the oil, the oil can last for years. Under such conditions mileage is the main factor that determines remaining oil life.

If the maintenance light is anything like Honda's, it calculates when the oil should be replaced based on use.

I don't understand your issue between the maintenance light and the oil weight. Just run 0W20 like the Toyota specifies and enjoy the car!

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
007 said:
Currently running the same 4 cylinder engine you should have on 10w30.
Runs quieter than it did on 5w20 thats for sure.

Talk about oil myths, there's another one.
I've never been able to detect by sound any difference viscosity makes. What is "for sure" is the loss in fuel economy and performance that heavier oil extracts.

The free maint program allows for an oil service every 10k or 1 year, whichever comes first.

The maintenance message will appear every 5k. The schedule calls for a tire rotation and vehicle inspection every 5k, and an oil service every 10k.

Odd that you get free oil changes at 5K. Mine will be done at 10K. I'm doing my own oil changes at 5K, 15K as well only because I have so much free oil from the O-Reilly contests this summer and last. Otherwise I'd be fine with 10K. I did 10K in my Civic and that was an '03.

Use your 5w30 with no problem. That's what I'll be running in summers once the free maintenance is done. These sticklers for running only what the manual calls for aren't taking all of the information into account.

It's said over and over again here...it's bureaucratic US CAFE requirements vs. climate requirements. One guy can live in N. Dakota a block from Canada and one guy in Texas a block from Mexico, yet both are recommended the same viscosity. At the same time if you do live in Mexico your viscosity recommendation will be...wait for it...THICKER than in Canada.

So don't be afraid of going up one grade if, like you say in your original post you just want to use the same oil as in your Highlander. [You'd probably be fine with 20w50 conventional in reality.]

I would stick to the recommended oil while you are under warrranty, but it will be fine with 5W30. However.. I would not hesitate to keep the OCI to once per year based on the mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back