Snap ring pliers - Lisle or Channellock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

I have the Channelock ones.
I don't like the multi-tip ones, too much wasted time screwing around with trying to make the one size tool you actually need.

The KD 1715 combination external/internal snap ring pliers is what I reach for most often. If the job is within the jaw range of the tool it's the easiest to work with.

Of those two, I would go with the Channellock (which is $10 cheaper on Amazon). The snap ring pliers with multiple tips don't work on some snap rings - fuel pumps come to mind.

You should also take a look at Knipex. They are German made and of amazing quality.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Of those two, I would go with the Channellock (which is $10 cheaper on Amazon). The snap ring pliers with multiple tips don't work on some snap rings - fuel pumps come to mind.

You should also take a look at Knipex. They are German made and of amazing quality.

And you came first. :)

Originally Posted By: shDK
Originally Posted By: Gabe

And you came first. :)

Great minds think alike!
cheers3.gif

This is one tool where cheap one is just not worth the aggravation. Get the most expensive that you can afford. I got a deal on US made Proto and they are OK for occasional use but I would have preferred something with even a better quality.

My recent auto trans rebuild project really illustrated the need for quality snap and lock ring pliers. Like others have said, this is one place where Harbor Freight tools are NOT worth the aggravation.

One thing to consider before buying your snap/lock ring pliers; make sure they're able to handle the size of retaining rings you're working with.

I too cannot stand those replaceable bit pliers. But I have a couple of them in the tool box.

I bought some craftsman ones with the changeable tips. Adequate for everything I've needed, but no big jobs.

That knifed set is tempting but I haven't needed to do any jobs that need big ones.

I used to use Craftsmen snap ring pliers with interchangeable ends, but often had problems. I do have some of their conventional designs, and they are perfect.

I think if I had to work with more snap rings, I would buy the Knipex set, but that seems unlikely now, given my medical conditions.

I purchased the Channel locks yesterday to install a snap ring on a lower ball joint. I was able to get the snap ring installed on the first shot.

With the cheap HF types I had wasted more than 10 minutes to get that snap ring on when I did the other ball joint.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Regards, JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back