Would you use this filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you use this filter? It's a Wix 57090 cartridge oil filter. Bent pleat out of the box.

14273759247_a3052d39b0_b.jpg

Probably not a big deal but no I wouldn't use it I'd return it. Nice thing about cartridge filters is you can see before you buy.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
While I'm sure it's perfectly fine to use, I would still probably return/exchange it.

How is that perfectly fine to use? I would probably not buy a used car from you.

It's perfectly fine to use in my opinion in the same way that a torn purolator would still be perfectly fine to use in my opinion. I think the filter pictured would still be able to filter the oil just fine, and there would be no damage to your engine as a result of using it.

I think the quote below from a recent torn purolator thread sums up the way I feel best.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Oh heck no. Those tiny tears will not stop the oil from being filtered. If it goes thru a tiny tear on one pass, it will most likely get filtered on the next pass. And for the intervals that get used around here, the oil will be serviceable. And I doubt we will hear about an engine having a problem anytime soon.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...s_e#Post3393370

If the pleat is still attached to the end disc then its okay, if the pleat has ripped from the end disc then it needs to be thrown out or returned. Looks to me like physical damage after production.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Probably not a big deal but no I wouldn't use it I'd return it. Nice thing about cartridge filters is you can see before you buy.

Thats so true...

I have seen FRAM Extra Guard in cartridge look great and if my car would to use it I would have no problem using that filter.

Fram i good when it comes to cartridge filters b/c they follow exact OEM specs.. So I have to give it to FRAM when it comes to cartridge filters.. However they do seem to cost more.
However I think its b/c of patent fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back