Thinking of a Chevy Cruz, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rented a Cruz for a day and was impressed with the car.

Is there 2 or three different gas engines?
1.4l
eco 1.4l (turbo)
1.8l

How is the reliability of each of these? I want to buy it and drive it for 13~ years.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thoughts...decent car overall, had its ups and downs in the beginning of production but should be a decent car overall. I would go with the NON turbo 1.8. I dont think chevy has proven the long term reliability of there turbos. My advice, shop around and test drive all cars in this class then pick. There are obviously some that are more reliable than others.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Thoughts...decent car overall, had its ups and downs in the beginning of production but should be a decent car overall. I would go with the NON turbo 1.8. I dont think chevy has proven the long term reliability of there turbos. My advice, shop around and test drive all cars in this class then pick. There are obviously some that are more reliable than others.

What are some other cars in that class?

The two engines are essentially the same. The ECO model will save you in the long run.
Copy & paste:
Cruze Eco's high fuel economy rating is thanks in part to its aerodynamic features, including grille vanes that close at highway speeds, which help it slip through the air more easily. It also weighs about 200 pounds less than other Cruze models. Efficiency comes with a price, however, as the Cruze Eco sacrifices performance in the form of slower acceleration, longer stopping distances, and poorer handling compared to the less fuel-friendly Cruze models.

I'm guessing the ECO model uses light weight alloy wheels, lighter than norm and low rolling resistance tires not seen on other trims.

I'd get the stick.

Very interesting website btw: http://www.mpgomatic.com/2011/03/02/2011-chevrolet-cruze-eco-review/

I'd also look at a new Mazda3. My wife drives one with a Skyactiv engine and a stick and gets over 40 highway.

The 1.8L is abysmal IMHO in rentals. MPG was worst than a Camry, Accord, Fusion, Altima I have rented and power dreadful/coarse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'd also look at a new Mazda3. My wife drives one with a Skyactiv engine and a stick and gets over 40 highway.

Beat me to it. The new 3 is considered top of the class by many, including Car and Driver. 3 Hatch 2.0 review

My Dad has a 2012 1.4 LT2...

A/C is weak and noisy, ok for front seat people, but back gets hot.

1.4 is tough on oil. Change when OLM reads 25%, use a full synthetic Dexos 1.

Turbo is cooled after car is turned off, helps turbo lifespan.

Front and back of car is plastic, scratches easily, in a wreck, major $$ to repair.

These quibbles were minor, it's a nice car, handles well, decent on gas (low 30's)

I never thought anything but a Yugo could make a Toyota look exciting, but i was wrong.
A loaf of Wonder bread has more personality.
lol.gif

My 2012 Cruze Eco
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Rented a Cruz for a day and was impressed with the car.

Is there 2 or three different gas engines?
1.4l
eco 1.4l (turbo)
1.8l

How is the reliability of each of these? I want to buy it and drive it for 13~ years.

Thoughts? Ideas?

From a pretty darn satisfied owner of a 2012 Cruze Eco manual transmission with 88k miles on it:

2 gas engines: the 1.4 turbo and 1.8. The 1.4T is by far the superior engine. Lower NVH, better daily-driver power thanks to the turbo, and better fuel economy. It's port-injected and has a timing chain. At a 65 mph cruise, expect a automatic to get about 38-40 mpg, while my stick-shift Eco will get about 43-45 mpg. Then there's the diesel, which is basically a diesel Verano with a Cruze skin wrapped around it. Whole different car than the gas Cruzes.

Reliability: Mine's coming up on 3 years old, and has 88k miles on it. In that time it's needed two water pumps, both replaced under powertrain warranty. I also snapped some lug studs thanks to my over-torquing. That's been it for unexpected repairs. The water pumps are hit or miss. Either you get a good one, or it conks out quickly. It's an easy part-slinging job that's covered under powertrain warranty.

For being hard on oil, I started that meme! What I mean is that the oil really does need to be changed by 7500 mile at most, and to get that mileage a full synthetic oil is necessary. Otherwise, a semi-syn oil is good for about 5000 miles. GM reprogrammed the OLM for the 2014's to be much more conservative. If you buy new, follow the OLM. If purchasing used, change the oil at 7500 miles or 25% on the OLM, whichever comes first.

If traffic/family permit, get a stick-shift Cruze. That will get better fuel economy than a automatic. The only issue with the manual in the Cruze is that the OEM transmission fluid needs to be changed by 15k miles. Amsoil Synchromesh is a fantastic replacement, or Amsoil 75w-90 since you're in Texas and it's hot down there.

Aside from those issues, my Cruze has been a very good car. I've been quite happy with the NVH, space inside, fuel economy, ride, and handling. I still enjoy driving it after almost 3 years of ownership. For me it's a keeper.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about the car. Looks nice too, I just wish they'd release an SS model.

I bought a 2011 Cruze LT with the 1.4T engine, brand new with 1 mile on the odometer. I have 65k miles on it now, and it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I haven't had one single issue with it, at all, which honestly surprises me. I will say that the 2011's transmission programming sucks, I ended up flashing my own custom tune on the car which really increased the throttle response and changed the shift points. It's a very satisfying car to drive, with plenty of pep.

As sciphi mentioned, you do need to change the oil around 7500 miles on these earlier cars.
I also had a 2013 LS with the 1.8 (that just got totaled in an accident) and I was not very happy with the power from that engine. The 1.4 is much more refined.
I think you will be very happy with a Cruze.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim74
I bought a 2011 Cruze LT with the 1.4T engine, brand new with 1 mile on the odometer. I have 65k miles on it now, and it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

I would expect any car with only 65K to have zero problems to date.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I never thought anything but a Yugo could make a Toyota look exciting, but i was wrong.
A loaf of Wonder bread has more personality.
lol.gif

A chimp could write a more useful and informed post.

My wife owns the 14 Cruze Eco. we bought it with 2 miles on it. 10,000 miles later no issues. Fun to drive. Zippy at low speeds. 35mpg on average . No extended highway driving at this time . Messing around with the autostick is fun. ditto to the oil change suggestions. at 2000 miles my synthetic was very dark , at 10,000 miles i have changed the oil 3 times total all with dealer supplied Mobil one . My car is a 2013 malibu and i think the Cruze is funner to drive.

I test drove a 1.4L Cruze Eco with a 6-speed manual and was very impressed.

We also drove used and new Honda Civics and a Mk6 Jetta (the new, decontented US version). The Cruze was the best of them all, when it came to my needs. It drove really well and had a nice interior, but was smaller inside than the Jetta.

I eventually purchased a 2010 Jetta instead because I got a smoking deal on it, but the Cruze was probably the next choice on the list.

The new Mazda3 is supposed to be really great, and for 2014 VW has recontented the Jetta in some respects. But a slightly used Cruze could be a very good value.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Stop offending Chimps.
lol.gif

You know Trav, I think he doesn't agree with your assessment of the driving dynamics of the Cruz, LOL!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back