Wix 51714: Giganto Filter That Fits Fords!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure hope this freqen monster works on my Focus as I stopped at the free Napa barbeque today and bought a Napa Gold for 13 and odd change. Spent another 15 on metric tools but the burgs and beans x 2 were cheaper than feeding mom out today. O.K. Dave, I agree big is better, and this filter is a whopper.
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by fastbear:
Sure hope this freqen monster works on my Focus...

Don't know if you missed my post, but if it's a DOHC engine then it requires a special filter, not a FL-400s equivelent. Remember threads and gasket surface aren't everything.

My Focus has a base engine so I assume its a single cam. Have been using ST3600 filters. The thread is the same, my only concern is the diameter of the filter and length clearing other engine compartment obstacles. Will O&F tomorrow. Bigger is better, right.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:

quote:

Originally posted by fastbear:
Bigger is better, right.
grin.gif

Except in a situation like the one described by T-Keith, BIGGER IS BETTER!
fruit.gif

To steal from Jeff Foxworthy: "IIIIIIF your oversize filter doubles your oil capacity..... you might be from BITOG."

tongue.gif

-T

I just bought the Napa Gold 51568 for the new Odyssey. Now what's this with the 8-11 and 16 psi information? Can someone help a brother out. I don't want any problems to come up if I use this filter.

There are some applications that appear to have special needs for bypass settings. There's an assumption, since most filters from a given manufacturer share the same bypass setting, that it is to limit the stress that the media sees in differential pressure. Some Euro types (VW, AUDI) have 30 psi bypass settings. These are exceptions.

If the filter is spec'd for your engine, especially from WIX, don't worry about bypass settings. JMO.

The one with the 16, most likely. That doesn't mean that either holds more or less "stuff" ...it may have more or less media square inches ..or density or this or that. The ultra high bypass settings must have some reinforcement to prevent the media from collapsing under that pressure.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
The one with the 16, most likely. That doesn't mean that either holds more or less "stuff" ...it may have more or less media square inches ..or density or this or that. The ultra high bypass settings must have some reinforcement to prevent the media from collapsing under that pressure.

WRONG!! They could both have the same paper, and most likley do in these spring rates. The difference would be the rating of the spring in the bypass valve. 8-11 pounds is not the same as 16 pounds. No matter what.
nono.gif

Pete, why do some bypass pressure settings mention a range (8-11) and some only say a specific pressure (16). Don't all bypass valves have a range over which the go from partially to fully open?

Originally posted by Winston:
Pete, why do some bypass pressure settings mention a range (8-11) and some only say a specific pressure (16). Don't all bypass valves have a range over which the go from partially to fully open? [/QUOTE

The amount of "open" is determined by the flow through the orifice, and the pressure difference generated by that flow, on the dirty side vs clean side of the element. the pressure rating of a spring is deternined by a lot of factors, but suffice it to say that the "cracking pressure" (first point at whicH flow begins)is the lower number or the number. If the available surface area of the valve plunger is decreased it takes more pressure on the spring to crack the valve, and vise versa. Sorry, but I understand how it works and why it works but it's a little difficult to put it in words without confusing someone. (mainly Me)

[ July 22, 2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Pete C. ]

quote:

Originally posted by CQUG4R:
Pete C.

How can we find out how much media a filter has inside of it? I'm asking specifically about WIX filters.

First of all I can't tell You that. But if I wanted to find out here's what I'd do.

1- Carefully disassemble a NEW, (those used ones are unreliable, and messy) oil filter of your choice.

2- Count the number of pleats. (1 pleat is 1 "V" shaped section of media) and multiply by 2.

3- measure the length of the element (width of the media) at a point where you think is best. It's best to use calipers rather than a ruler. If it has metal endcaps subtract three thickness of endcap material (2 end caps and 1 for adhesive). If it's cardboard just measure in-between the endcaps.

5- Measure the depth of the pleat. from the top of the outer fold to the bottom of the inner fold.

6- Do the math.

80 pleats x 2= 160 x .75" pleat depth= 120" media length x 2.5" width= 300 sq" or 2.08 sq" of media in our make believe filter.

But sometimes you might get it out of the person manning the phone at the help desk.
wink.gif

Hope that helped?

PS, anybody wanna buy my Dodge Pickup?

quote:

The amount of "open" is determined by the flow through the orifice, and the pressure difference generated by that flow, on the dirty side vs clean side of the element. the pressure rating of a spring is deternined by a lot of factors, but suffice it to say that the "cracking pressure" (first point at whicH flow begins)is the lower number or the number. If the available surface area of the valve plunger is decreased it takes more pressure on the spring to crack the valve, and vise versa. Sorry, but I understand how it works and why it works but it's a little difficult to put it in words without confusing someone. (mainly Me)

I understand how it works too. Let me rephrase the question. Why are some of the relief valve settings listed as s specific pressure (say 16 psi) which I would guess is the "cracking" pressure as you say. While other filters liste the relief valve setting as 8-11psi. Where I assume the 8 psi is the cracking pressure and 11 is the pressure where the valve is fully open. So, why don't they list the fully open pressure with the valve that is rated at 16psi?

Hummmmm!!! Got me there. But like they tought us in the Air Force, I may not know the answer sir, but I know someone that just might know it. I'll ask when I see them. But That won't be till Tuesday at the earliest. Movin the youngun to Mississippi State tomorrow.

quote:

WRONG!! They could both have the same paper, and most likley do in these spring rates. The difference would be the rating of the spring in the bypass valve. 8-11 pounds is not the same as 16 pounds. No matter what.

Well, I think you got the assertion wrong.

Do you use robust media that can withstand 30 psid without collapse ,...but would rather bypass unfiltered oil for your customers?? Or would you put a 22 psi bypass on your current 8-11 and let it rupture and then bypass all kinds of unfiltered oil?

So, can we reasonably assume that bypass setting correlate to the ability of the media to withstand stress? That they are a safety mechanism that is "married"/integrated into the package? Or is it just some arbitrary whim of some engineer?

Now I don't think that having a higher bypass setting will mean that you have a "better" filter in terms of holding capacity ..but I think that it's not too much of a stretch to believe that the higher the bypass setting, the more substantial the media is and the more stress, in terms of differential pressure, it can withstand.

Well, one could say "but it conforms to manufacturer's spec's. Then I would ask "Well which company is violating them? Is it Wix with their routine and consistant 8-11 ..or Purolator with their higher bypass setting (VW filters exempt for all) ..or is Donaldson and Baldwin with their "all over the board" approach (prehaps more custom to the application) ..but why would a filter manufacturer decide to bypass MORE oil with a lower bypass setting if they, in fact, used a media that could sustain more PSID ..assuming as you assert that they're using the same paper??

Anything wrong with what I said there
confused.gif

Additional edit: Now I can see the "paper" being in a "range" of acceptable bypass settings. That is, that your 8-11 paper can take 12-19 ..like (I think) Purolator tends to run ...and you surely could compensate with more media so that loading will impact the media less so that your 8-11 will bypass no more oil than a Purolator at the higher setting. I can also see that higher bypass ratings can potentially cause some issues in some applications depending on how the oil system is configured and how close the system is to its relief settings.

But I would like to understand how your generic 8-11 is justified across the board. I would like to understand how Purolator functions with the same, or superior, distinction with its higher setting. I would also like to understand that if both are acceptable ..and are allegedly using the "same paper" ..why Wix would opt for the lower setting (that can be compensated for with more media) and Purolator ..does not?

So can we assume that ..for example if we used a clicker bypass valve ...and it was ..let's say ..off by as much a 50-75% of design rating ..then everything should be okay since a 8-11 bypass can use the same paper as a 12-19 bypass filter??

[ July 23, 2005, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Gary, what do you mean?

If a filters by-pass setting is set to 8-11 psi and another is set to 16 psi, which one would have "stronger" media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back