Date codes on tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, what year did they start putting date codes on tires? On my old (1980) pickup, which I just buy used tires for, and my 65 mustang, which just gets used for cruise nights and shows, I can't find any numbers that could possibly be date codes. I find it on my new (2014) car, but not on any of the old ones, so just wondering how old the tires probably are?

Last edited:
old1, it's also possible, if the date codes appear to be missing, that they're on the sidewall that's facing in towards the vehicle. Tire manufacturers are required to put the full DOT code (including the date produced) on at least one of the sidewalls, and the full code should be on the sidewall intended to face out. So they'll be on the sidewall with a white wall or white letters, or on the sidewall that's labeled "OUTSIDE" for an asymmetrical tire. But for a symmetrical blackwall tire, with two sidewalls that are the same, the date code may be facing in.

DSC_0016_zpsc8d66842.jpg

27th week of 1995. The little triangle means it's from the 1990s. IIRC lacking a triangle makes it the 80s, and 4 digits = 2000+.

From my collection.

If they're trying for looks on your mustang they probably put all the boring stuff on the inside, on purpose.

And to answer the original question.

The law goes back to the late 1960's. I'm sure there was a transition period, but I can't tell you when the drop dead date was - but by the time I started working in the tire industry (1971), it was fully implemented everywhere.

And, yes, if you don't find the DOT code or only a partial, look on the other side of the tire. Prior to 2008, when it was mandated that a full code had to be on the side intended out and the other had to have a partial, it was only required on one side and usually that was the side intended in.

That is probably why I couldn't find it, I am sure they are prior to 2008, and they are whitewalls, so must be on the inside. Next time I have the car up for service, I will see what it says on the inside. Not that it really matters to me of course, as long as they go around I will run them. I was just curious. Thanks

I actually ran into this problem myself, I had trouble locating the date codes on two sets of tires for my fathers 4runner. On a set of yokohama's from 2009, and a set of bridgestones from 2011, the date codes were molded into the interior sidewall of the tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back