2013 Yamaha Road Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does it compare to other bikes in the 1600-1700cc class ? Ride comfort , h.p. , torque , get up and go , etc.

I rode a pal's 1600 Road Star several hundred miles. I'm sure the new Road Star is a little better, but his '02 model was a total dog.

That engine was a real boat anchor. I was constantly bouncing it off the rev limiter trying to get decent thrust out of it, to no avail. Nasty bottom end vibration at about 80 mph. Hated it.

Not as good as a H-D TC 88 or 96 or a Victory 100. And nowhere near my favorite big v-twin, the 113 in the Raider or Roadliner . If you can afford it, go for one of the big Stars.

Ride comfort was OK, other than the high rpm vibration. Mediocre brakes and suspension. Typical cruiser in most ways. Handling wasn't terrible, in that it wasn't scary and the bike felt OK right up until the floorboards started dragging.

Last edited:
I will agree, the Triumph Thunderbird is just a great machine for the money. The parallel twin has such a friendly and linear powerband than many of the V twin bikes.

I'm not a cruiser guy, but there are two cruisers out now that I really would like to take out for a demo ride: the Moto Guzzi California 1400 and new Honda Valkyrie. Three if you consider a Ducati Diavel a cruiser. The Guzzi and Valk are unconventional and it's a real stretch to call the Diavel one. What can I say, I like bikes that go, stop and turn.

I picked up a 2013 Road Star S brand new for $7999 . Only had it for 2 days and like it a lot so far.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I picked up a 2013 Road Star S brand new for $7999 . Only had it for 2 days and like it a lot so far.

Hope you enjoy it. I've had Road Star's and they were great bikes. Looks like you got a great price!

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb

Hope you enjoy it. I've had Road Star's and they were great bikes. Looks like you got a great price!

Yea they only had the one and I was surprised no one scarfed it up before I went back to get it. They have an msrp of over 13 k I believe . This bike rides as easy or easier than any bike I`ve ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back