Adding lubrication to diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya ulsd feul is a problem ,and no biodieseldidnt fix the problem (unless you live in Canada witch ask for 2% bio.not ideal but way better then the 20 % you see in usa!methyl ester is hard on engine but it make the economy turn since diesel component always break

If you add 2 stroke oil to your tank, and it burns completely, wouldn't the burnt 2 stroke oil's particles mess up the diesel particulate filter in the exhaust system?

ulsd in usa is 15 part per million (as per regulation ,and in a lot of state bio is set at 20% wich is a huge problem .yep there is such a thing as too clean in engine techno.but around 1% is perfect ,and no you cant be at 0% yes physicly you can you ll have ton of issue even today ,at around 1 or 2% tho you are right in the sweat spot

i used to use the TCW-2 in my 94 Cummins at on bottle per tank full.
i been thinking about using that in my 06 Beetle TDI but not sure how
it would run. or try to find a close place that sales Bio-Diesel

There is hardly a truck stop in the nation that does not have some level of bio blend at the pump. I can't even recall the last 5 years a station that I fueled my semi that had regular diesel with no bio. Most places, the blend is 5% or more, which brings lubricity way above the pre-ULSD and pre-LSD days. And it doesn't cost any more at the pump than if diesel only was available. I like not having to add anything, no additional cost over and above the fuel itself. Took one engine to almost 1 million miles on this stuff, and my present engine has 271,000 mies on it and is in great shape.

It might be questionable how adding some oil product to diesel might affect the DPF units. Since it captures particulates and burns them off, it would depend on if the DPF could keep the filter from clogging over time from particulates from the oil one adds to a tank.

I have been using walmart brand gallon tcw3 oil in my om617 diesel for a while now. works great and is cheap.

Another WM TCW-3 user here. I try to put approx 1 oz/gal. The WM gallon jug is the lowest cost. For my smaller pickup size tank fills I pour the TCW-3 into empty 16 oz water bottles and makes it easy to dump that into the tank with approx 16-18 gallons of fuel.

My old truck has the mech inj pump, so I always use some type of additive for lubricity. But I also use the TCW-3 in my newer electronic injected trucks.

100 to 1, TCW-III 2cycle oil results in very significant lubricity improvements when added to Jet A (kerosene) . From HFRR 650+ down to 255 (lower is better)

op, 2 cycle is cheap lubrication,
I use soyshield by schaeffers, but I found that most quality diesel stations have their addy in the diesel and has good lubrication already.

look up lotsofmiles and dutchpilot on dieselplace, they have run combines nearly a million miles without any extra addy.

Well, the old "this is what we did in the past" may come back and bite some folks in the back side. The Tier 3 and Tier 4 diesel can be pretty finicky characters with those DPF and SCR/DPF systems, let alone the crazy common rail pressures that have became part of the scene. I have seen the look on more than one owners face when they had to replace a DPF filter.

But this lubricity thing is mostly a ruse to get folks all worked up. I go thru 21,000 gallons of diesel per year on average. I have been using ULSD since it's introduction (roughly 2006), running trucks roughly 135,000 miles a year, no additional lubricity additives put in to compensate, just winter fuel treatments and biocides, and the last injector I lost was in 2001, long before ULSD even was a blip on the radar. I have had ZERO fuel system related problems due to ULSD.

Check with any major OEM dealer shop or authorized repair facility. ULSD has not been the gremlin that many folks seem to think it is. There may be some other issues that ULSD has, especially regarding additional retention of water and easier for microbes to set up shop in fuel tanks, but lubricity has not been one of those issues.

I wonder if the HD fuel injection equipment is made to the same standards as passenger cars equipment is made.

Apparently not if the life expentancy is set at 120k miles for fuel with HFRR WSD 520µm. At 460µm it's already 200k miles. When running pure kerosene with a WSD of +-700µm, the life expectancy of the fuel injection equipment is roughly 1 tankful.

I suppose it couldn't do any harm to make sure the WSD is kept low for the fuel you're using, especially if you have a remapped/tracked car or just run it hard. DPF's are expensive, but fuel injection pumps more so, and sometimes a bad injector takes an engine with it.

ran down I-43 west shore of Lake Michigan this morning, -8 degrees, 4 rigs stranded in 130 mi.

Yep, it is always interesting to see the number of diesel vehicles that are sitting along the road after a big temperature drop. Usually, blame can be laid at the retailer for this. Many reputable outlets will have fuel "winterized" to meet the conditions. But with the pricing wars that go on, when they get temp rises, they will go back to regular #2 in the tanks and even if they get a load of blended when they know colder weather is approaching, when it is mixed up with the fuel already in the storage tank, it may not be effective.

The owner must be proactive with their fuel buying. Listen to the weather reports now and then. If colder weather is coming, don't rely on the good graces of the retailer to look out for you. Dose the diesel with a little additive as a preventative measure. Sure, you may not actually need it, but sitting along side the road with a problem is not the time to realize that you did need it. A little common sense can yield great rewards.

One of the Mom's at my daycare had her TDI jetta just barely running last week when we hit -25 due to gelled fuel. She goes through a tank in two weeks or less, so I was surprised that any station would still have summer diesel into December here as we could hit -25C almost any time.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
One of the Mom's at my daycare had her TDI jetta just barely running last week when we hit -25 due to gelled fuel. She goes through a tank in two weeks or less, so I was surprised that any station would still have summer diesel into December here as we could hit -25C almost any time.

Yeah, like today! LMAO!

Originally Posted By: dblshock
ran down I-43 west shore of Lake Michigan this morning, -8 degrees, 4 rigs stranded in 130 mi.

I drove my duramax diesel 1 winter, and that was it. I counted a dozen or more on a day when temps where -14F

But I did not have had any gelling issues, I refuse to buy diesel from small gas station, I drive out on the hwy and buy mobil diesel from a truck stop or from Meijer diesel from a high volume Meijer (Meijer has shaeffers addy).
it became a pain to drive in Michigan winters, not it sits and watches the snow plows driving around my neighborhood ;-)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
She goes through a tank in two weeks or less, so I was surprised that any station would still have summer diesel into December here as we could hit -25C almost any time.

That's one reason to always fill up a diesel passenger vehicle where the truckers fill up.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I sent samples of Jet fuel out for HFRR lubricity testing and learned quite a bit about what actually works. (below by memory)

Jet A = 650 microns wear scar (larger number is worse)
Jet A with stanadyne lubricity additive = 450
Jet A with Stanadyne and 100/1 TCW-III = 220

It's generally considered that a wear scar of 460 or less is acceptable for diesel fuel.

Clearly, TCW-III at 100/1 works quite well.

Geez I don't think I'd try 100 to 1 with a diesel equipped with a DPF or even a DOC.

BioDiesel, Opti-Lube, WM TCW-3, in that order for lubricity.
The consumer has to be proactive in winter. Retailers are in the business to make money, not come rescue you when stranded if your fuel goes belly up in the cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back