BMW confusion, why not just use M1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
BMW has had an FE spec for over a decade (LL-01 FE). I guess this LL-14 FE is an updated version of it.

True, but I doubt that this latest spec will have the same backwards compatibility as 04, 01, 98 and Spezial. It seems to be much more than a simple update.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I can't really see how a Costco discount would work at the BMW dealer.

Don't think they are "participating."

But BMW could invite some monkeys from the zoo over to work on your car and match price, I guess.

Obviously, you're not a member then...or you're not using all of the benefits. Just because you can't "see" it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Originally Posted By: LotI
I can't really see how a Costco discount would work at the BMW dealer.

Don't think they are "participating."

But BMW could invite some monkeys from the zoo over to work on your car and match price, I guess.

Obviously, you're not a member then...or you're not using all of the benefits. Just because you can't "see" it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

My apologies after re-reading your post.

No Costco in my town so I am not a member.

There is a SAM's here and they did, a few years back, have some affiliated car dealerships that displayed new cars at the club.

LL-04 is not backwards compatible with LL-01 in the US.

Originally Posted By: lim
BMW has had an FE spec for over a decade (LL-01 FE). I guess this LL-14 FE is an updated version of it.

True, but I doubt that this latest spec will have the same backwards compatibility as 04, 01, 98 and Spezial. It seems to be much more than a simple update.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Why not just stick with dealer 5w30 for your intermediate changes? You may also avoid consumption issues due to flipping back and forth.

I'm assuming your vehicle is NOT on the new 10k/yr OCI?

My vehicle is in the 10k/yr OCI category.

Is there a comsumption issue with M1 0W-40 vs. Castrol 0W-40?

I don't know about the Castrol, but the M1 0w-40 is the lowest in terms of consumption in my M5. 1L/10,000Km.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you mentioned you got better oil consumption with PU 5W-40 or was that not for a full 10,000 kms?

My high mileage 328i has low oil consumption (1/2L/8,000 kms) on a light (HTHSV 2.9-3.0cP) 0W-30 blend. Heavier oils I've run in the past were no better.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Why not just stick with dealer 5w30 for your intermediate changes? You may also avoid consumption issues due to flipping back and forth.

I'm assuming your vehicle is NOT on the new 10k/yr OCI?

My vehicle is in the 10k/yr OCI category.

Is there a comsumption issue with M1 0W-40 vs. Castrol 0W-40?

I don't know about the Castrol, but the M1 0w-40 is the lowest in terms of consumption in my M5. 1L/10,000Km.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you mentioned you got better oil consumption with PU 5W-40 or was that not for a full 10,000 kms?

My high mileage 328i has low oil consumption (1/2L/8,000 kms) on a light (HTHSV 2.9-3.0cP) 0W-30 blend. Heavier oils I've run in the past were no better.

Nope, was not the whole 10K Km's. The PU consumed at twice the rate (2L in 10K) as the M1 0w-40 (1L in 10K).

And I presume that's the lighter SM version of M1 0W-40?

Yes, this car has not seen any of the SN rated stuff, I only recently saw my first bottle of it at CT a few weeks ago actually, LOL!. I have about four cases of the SM stuff left in stock here.

You actually saw some SN M1 0W-40 at Cdn Tire in litre bottles?
That's the first I've heard of it so I'll have to check out my local CT stores not that I would buy any.
I have enough US bought SN M1 0W-40 to last me for a while.

That's the first I've heard of it so I'll have to check out my local CT stores not that I would buy any.

You could go to Imperial Oil and engage in some false economy and buy some Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 at about $25 a jug.
wink.gif

You actually saw some SN M1 0W-40 at Cdn Tire in litre bottles?
I have enough US bought SN M1 0W-40 to last me for a while.

Yup, finally did! But only at the one store, LOL!

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
LL-04 is not backwards compatible with LL-01 in the US.

Originally Posted By: lim

Not backwards compatible in Australia either.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
M1 0W40 is also now $22.66 at my local walmart, cheapest I've ever seen

Hmm, I thought some were seeing $22.47 or something? Regardless, that's dirt-cheap. Just confirmed my stores have the $22.66 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back