Vizio Tv Intermittent No Picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 year old Vizio tv's screen intermittently either dims slowly until black or is black (no splash/input logos) on startup. The audio works as does logo light that illuminates on startup.
It's a M series.

model number?

or at least more details to narrow it down.

Last edited:
This just happened to my brother's 3-yr old Vizio set: logo light still on and audio is fine, but no picture. Local shop said it was an internal board failure and repair would be about $140 + labor + tax.

Model M3D460SR

It seems to be a common failure (on many brands) and there are repair parts available for mine. I'm hoping not to just throw parts at it.

Not with Sharp Aquos, my 3 TV's are 7-8 years old and none has this problem or any other failure. I paid a little more than Vizio back then because I think Sharp has better quality control than Vizio.

So you recommend that I repair my Vizio with Sharp parts because their quality control is better? Which Sharp part number should I use?
lol.gif

Sharp is not immune: Sharp sound but no picture

Sony is not immune: Sony sound but no picture

Panasonic is not immune: Panasonic sound but no picture

Samsung is not immune: Samsung sound but no picture

Shall I keep going?

No such thing as a perfect TV brand, BUT:
What I think/assume is such failures occur at a much higher percentage in Vizio compared to more established brands.

Our 2008 Samsung LCD is still going strong. No issues of any kind so far.
I am thinking of upgrading to a larger size LCD, and will probably go with Panasonic as Samsungs model line up has become too confusing and looks like they're adding more gimmicks.

(Will NEVER even consider Vizio, all 3 people I know who got Vizios had problems very soon after buying - that was about 5 yrs ago; IDK if anything has changed or not, but I am not risking it.)

I have (2) 2010 Samsung LCDs which are wonderful. When I have to replace, will definitely consider Samsung first but WILL NOT buy any "smart" or "3D" tv. If I have to consider other brands, my list would be LG followed by Sharp & Panasonic.

I understand other manufacturers may make more reliable units but how does that help my current situation?

"My Chevrolet won't start but the headlights come on bright and the radio works"
"My Toyota always starts"

That's helpful advice!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I understand other manufacturers may make more reliable units but how does that help my current situation?

ah - I should have quoted; I was responding to the "Brand X, Y and Z are also not immune" comment.
Also, it CAN indirectly help to avoid Vizio in the future
smile.gif

Has anyone in BITOG land repaired their own TV by replacing or repairing a board?

Why don't you try the Vizio threads at AVS forums? I am sure there's a lot of discussion of this type of thing there. That's the best place to search. They will even have specific threads for brands AND model line ups. (official thread for XYZ series Vizio, etc)

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Has anyone in BITOG land repaired their own TV by replacing or repairing a board?

Why don't you try the Vizio threads at AVS forums? I am sure there's a lot of discussion of this type of thing there. That's the best place to search. They will even have specific threads for brands AND model line ups. (official thread for XYZ series Vizio, etc)

Thank you for the AVS suggestion but if that's the answer then why have any other forums but oil and filters here? Why discuss car repair, lawn mowers, home improvement, etc? There are dedicated websites for all of that somewhere else.
I tried BITOG because the breadth of knowledge on some subjects is surprising. Don't think for a second that I'm only relying on this thread for an answer.

Well that's not THE answer; perhaps one of them, and just a suggestion.
You sound very angry/irritated, no? Aww. j/k
smile.gif

I suggested AVS Forum because it's a DEDICATED forum for Audio/video stuff, and thought you might have a better chance of getting a better/quicker answer(s) there, as you are asking the question about a SPECIFIC TV model.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I have (2) 2010 Samsung LCDs which are wonderful. When I have to replace, will definitely consider Samsung first but WILL NOT buy any "smart" or "3D" tv.

Are there non-smart TVs now at all? If there are, they will probably be the lowest level line and smallest sizes of any brand.
I don't care for smart either, but i don't think you can avoid them unless you go 32" or smaller and bottom of the line models.

Panasonic still doesn't offer their latest line up anywhere other than their own website. which is a bummer. (They're all smart, too) - I am looking at their AS650 series ...

If you'd like, I'll report back what was replaced on my brother's 3-yr old Vizio when he gets it back.

I've fixed several pieces of A/V equipment & computers over the years. The TV's and monitors were all CRT-based. I closely examine all components, looking for burned spots and bulging electrolytic capacitors.

If yours is still under warranty, then don't open it. If not, and you're the adventurous type and good with tools, then crack the case remembering what screws went where. If it's loaded with dust, blow it out with an air compressor, a can of air or an electric leaf blower. Also check the fans, if there are any.

No doubt there are thermal breakers in many of these sets that will turn them off if they overheat. You can also check the PS rails to each board, if you know what you're doing.

It sounds like your power supply is still working and you have audio, so that narrows it down to the video processing board. These video IC's usually run warm to hot. If you find a cool one, it's either Tango Uniform or not getting power.

Things like this are tough to troubleshoot over the net. Since power is everything, I always check rail voltages first. Good luck.

I'm not angry but a little irritated. This is BITOG, you need to be prepared for a thread to take a left turn on the first reply and maybe not ever acknowledge the original question while going into a death spiral. That's why I don't start many threads here.

I didn't really ask a question about a specific model, I stated that my Vizio was broken with specific symptoms. I was then asked specifically what model it is. The reply's after that were Sharps don't break because my Sharps aren't broken and Sharp and Samsung are good TV's. Right now I don't care about how good your TV is or how bad Vizio might be, I'm hoping to discuss broken and repaired Vizios. I have learned (not from Bitog) that Vizio doesn't have the best reputation but many brands have exactly the same problem with electronics going out.

I do appreciate your recommendation for AVS. I'd already been there and am going to try my hand at board repair, what do I have to lose? While it is helpful to try to point someone to a different forum, it doesn't further the original discussion here. Why would anyone want to ask about lawn equipment here with Lawnsite.com being more detailed? Why ask about home improvement with Finehomebuilding.com being available? Because I like the quirky folks at BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back