Waste of motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 5.0 mustang GT

Car had factory fill drained in early June and replaced with 5w20 Pennzoil Ultra. Factory fill was 7 month old motorcraft synth blend with 1800 miles on it.

Car will have about 5000 miles on it at most by the time it goes into reduced winter use sometime in November. So figure 3000 miles on the PU fill in there now. Winter use means driven once or twice per month over the winter for about 15-25 miles each time. Car is garaged and stays above freezing but there is no heater in there.

My question is do I need to drain the fill in there before I put it into reduced winter use/partial storage? Seems like a waste to drain that expensive oil out of there with so few miles on it and replace it with new stuff that will more or less just sit there for the most part over several months.

+2 leave it in.

Remember even "used up" oil has enough TBN to not actively corrode engine innards. You'd have to get into "over used" territory which is a long ways off.

Why would you have to drain oil that still shows good TA/TB numbers?
NO reason whatsoever.

NJOY THE COYOTE!

m5lp_1003_54_o%2b50_coyote_engine%2bmulti_plate_silentlink_chains.jpg

Last edited:
Well it is a waste of the PU, but there will still be a lot of break in noise in the 2nd fill, so i don't think its the worst thing to get it out of there. If it wasn't the 2nd OCI i would say leave it in for 5k minimum or your crazy, but like i said its still producing more contamination than a 50,000+ mile engine.

Thanks guys. I plan on changing the oil once we get into March/April next year. Just wasn't sure about doing it before this winter or not.

PU isn't cheap and I want to stretch it out as long as I realistically should. The PUP isn't available in my walmarts and I grabbed every jug of this stuff off the shelf when I saw it there on clearance.

I've gone 2.5 years and less than 3k miles on oil in my seldom-driven '98 Z28. The iron numbers rise a little due to leaching, but not enough to worry about. All the other numbers are good.

I wouldn't worry about it.

But I would like to say that, after buying a brand new Mustang, the costs associated with an oil change is chump change. Waste of oil? Waste of money? So?

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I've gone 2.5 years and less than 3k miles on oil in my seldom-driven '98 Z28. The iron numbers rise a little due to leaching, but not enough to worry about.

From the crank/sintered powder rods?? (Not much else is iron in our LS1s
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I've gone 2.5 years and less than 3k miles on oil in my seldom-driven '98 Z28. The iron numbers rise a little due to leaching, but not enough to worry about.

From the crank/sintered powder rods?? (Not much else is iron in our LS1s
wink.gif
).

Acid brew waiting to fire up and lubricate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back