F-15's still flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost positive I saw one here in the eastern half of Washington State near Colville flying at low attitude. I got quick look at the back half and it had the straight up and down double vertical stabilizers. We don't typically see those in this area. Are they stationed here?

Not sure where they're stationed, but I'm sure they're still flying.

As far as I know, the F-22 is replacing the air superiority variant, but there's not yet a fully phased-in replacement for the Strike Eagle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

They are still in use. They might be stationed up in your area for the increasing field trips the Russian Bear bombers are making to the Left Coast.

I developed/engineered the electronic circuits for the guidance systems on the F-15's.

Along with many other planes & other interesting things.
wink.gif

We typically see Prowlers or Growlers here almost a few times per week but don't see fighters here. I live in a remote area and they do a lot of very low altitude flying here. Probably the best part is seeing them flying up close and those few seconds when you can't really hear them and then BAM!!! We get a pretty good show way out here on a weekly basis.

Probably flying out of Fairchild AFB in Spokane. I think every large AFB has F-15s, and F-22s are only stationed at 5 or 6 bases since there are only about 183 of them total. The F-15 is still being produced in a modernized version, even with some stealth capabilities. US is still selling some of these to other countries.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
...... for the increasing field trips the Russian Bear bombers are making to the Left Coast.

What? (!)

Yep, was on the news, June 11th 2014
“The last time we saw anything similar was two years ago on the Fourth of July,” Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Norad spokesman, told the Free Beacon.

Davis said the latest Bear H incursions began Monday around 4:30 p.m. Pacific time when radar detected the four turbo-prop powered bombers approaching the U.S. air defense zone near the far western Aleutian Islands.

Two U.S. Air Force F-22 jets were scrambled and intercepted the bombers over the Aleutians.

After tracking the bombers as they flew eastward, two of the four Bears turned around and headed west toward the Russian Far East. The bombers are believed to be based at the Russian strategic base near Anadyr, Russia.

The remaining two nuclear-capable bombers then flew southeast and around 9:30 P.M. entered the U.S. northern air defense zone off the coast of Northern California.

Two U.S. F-15 jets were deployed and intercepted the bombers as they eventually flew within 50 miles of the coast before turning around and heading west.

A defense official said the four bombers also were supported by two IL-78 aerial refueling tankers that were used for mid-air refueling during the operation this week.

The Tu-95 is a long-range strike aircraft capable of carrying nuclear cruise missiles. Other versions are equipped with intelligence-gathering sensors and electronic warfare gear. It has a range of around 9,400 miles without refueling.

Davis said the aircraft “acted professionally” and the bombers appeared to be conducting a training mission.

They are still flying - they roar over my farm in southwestern Virginia several times a week. I believe mine are out of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in Goldsboro NC.

Tom NJ

They might be from a Guard Unit, but the closest base that has F-15's is Mountain Home AFB in Idaho. The F-22's have replaced a few. I retired in 2009 from Seymour Johnson AFB here in NC and still live here. Pretty much Mountain Home and Seymour are the main bases with F-15's and then there are some over in England. But a few Guard bases have them as well.

Yes, they are still flying today.That is what I flew in Iraq.There is no better air superior fighter in the world today. The new fighters are still in the test stage and have not seen combat. And Tom is correct google Seymour Johnson AFB, Goldsboro,NC.

F-22s are not still in the test phase, the F-35 is though.

Every F-22 has been built and delivered to the AF and stationed at AF bases, have been for a year or two now.

F-22s would go to combat if a war ever breaks out here in the USA. The AF isn't going to deploy F-22s outside of this country to fight, they are primary slated for homeland/boarder defense use. F-22s smoke all other platforms when red flag games are played. F-22s kill all other offensive platforms before they ever see the F-22 on radar/sensors.

The F15 has never been shot down in air to air combat. Used by the isrealis in 1975. 39 years of dominance. We'll see how the f22 plays out when its for real.

If the F-22 doesn't end up matching the F-15's combat record, it won't be because the F-22 is a worse plane; it'll be because its opponents are a better match than the F-15's were.

Against anything that's flying or close to flying now, I think the F-22 will be more than able to carry on the tradition.

The ANG in Portland and Klamath Falls Oregon fly the F15. We see them several times a week doing practice touch and goes at the Redmond airport while they are flying to and from their training area's in S.E. Oregon.
DD

Any UAV that replaces the F-22 would have to be fully autonomous. It couldn't be remotely piloted because remotely piloted UAVs have controller lag (which hurts dogfighting) and generate a lot of RF signals (which ruin stealth).

Do you really think we're only 10 years away from implementing an AI good enough that we can trust it as much as the highly-ranked elite pilots who fly the F-22 now?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Any UAV that replaces the F-22 would have to be fully autonomous. It couldn't be remotely piloted because remotely piloted UAVs have controller lag (which hurts dogfighting) and generate a lot of RF signals (which ruin stealth).

Do you really think we're only 10 years away from implementing an AI good enough that we can trust it as much as the highly-ranked elite pilots who fly the F-22 now?

Like you, I believe pilots are necessary for intercept missions.

081010-F-1234X-020.JPG

ZeeOSix,

+10

They're out of Fairchild. Lived there in the early 70's when my dad was stationed there. Saw them last summer up there when I was visiting.

Take care,
Gary

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
ZeeOSix,

+10

They're out of Fairchild. Lived there in the early 70's when my dad was stationed there. Saw them last summer up there when I was visiting.

Take care,
Gary
That's what I was thinking but didn't realize they had F15's out there. I knew they had a lot of re-fueling planes and even B-52's not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back