plastic fuel filter used as coolant filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
dxyew.jpg

The filter you are using is not designed to handle the temperature, or pressure, that is involved in the cooling system. Using it to remove contaminants and then tossing it is probably not going to cause any major issues, but I would not leave it on there for any significant length of time.

I personally don't think that coolant needs to be kept as clean as oil, but on this site that may be my opinion alone. I've never had a breakdown or overheating situation related to "dirty" coolant and I leave mine in there for the maximum length of time indicated by either the car manufacturer or the coolant manufacturer. I converted my 89 Accord from OEM type coolant to Dexcool in 1997, started going 100,000 miles between coolant changes, and had no problems. Changing the water pump is part of the timing belt service on that car and I never saw any gunk or buildup there or in the radiator.

There is such a thing as overkill.

Yeah that's all i'm doing it removing contamination and tossing it. I feel the system is dirty enough to do this, since its not one of the pristine systems i hear about in BITOG land.

You can see all that it caught in 10 miles + 30 minutes of idling.

I have heard good things about RMI-25 for cleaning up cooling systems. I am using it every 15,000 miles. My cooling system only needs a half cup maintenance dose and since I started when the car was new there is nothing to remove.

If you're willing to spend a bit of money there are inline mounting bases that accept spin-on coolant filters. Those can be left on as long as you like and changed on a scheduled basis.

Using RMI-25 and a coolant filter I don't think you'd ever have to change the coolant.

I use these NAPA systems on all of my cars and trucks. That filter has more than enough capacity for garbage, and it just spins on and off. And yes, they do catch a lot of trash, even in a "clean" cooling system.
2014-06-01175920_zpsaa70078a.jpg

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I use these NAPA systems on all of my cars and trucks. That filter has more than enough capacity for garbage, and it just spins on and off. And yes, they do catch a lot of trash, even in a "clean" cooling system.

Now that's an awesome setup! Got any more pics or info on how it plumbs into the cooling system?

Love it!!! Very well done!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Now that's an awesome setup! Got any more pics or info on how it plumbs into the cooling system?

Part# WIX-24019

You plumb it into either the heater core feed or heater core return line.

I had been looking at adding one of these setups to my F150. How often do you normally replace the filter?

I have done exactly the same thing before with the same plastic fuel filter on a coolant line.

I wouldn't advise it because although mine did not fail, it warped pretty badly.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I have done exactly the same thing before with the same plastic fuel filter on a coolant line.

I wouldn't advise it because although mine did not fail, it warped pretty badly.

Yes mine did warp too. I kept an eye on it every time I stopped and it only stayed onffor a few days.

Brake line exploded on the Taurus during a panic stop recently. It's gonna be sitting for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back