Guide me in buying a firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a rifle and join a range. I have always enjoyed shooting, but never had a rifle of my own.

Have spent a lot of time at ranges with my parents' firearms or friends. Now it's time for me to get something.

I am looking for:
- Rifle
- Bolt Action (NY SAFE Act bullsnot - bolt action rifles can not be considered "assault" weapons)
- Cheap, starter rifle
- Small caliber, cheap rounds

I mentioned .22 in another thread - but it's still super hard to come by here.

Any thoughts?

.22 is still going to be your cheapest round to fire.

I will recommend you look at a Mosin Nagant and buy some bulk Russian ammo. This is only if you are shooting at an outdoor range. It is not a small caliber but it is almost as cheap as .22 now and a good rifle will cost you around $200. Just make sure you do not get one that has been counterbored.

I'm not sure if it would be considered "cheap" but CZ rimfires are a bargain, excellent quality at a good price.

The 455 series has the advantage of interchangeable barrels which could ease the ammunition availability problem although the barrels are not cheap.

Look at the "Training Rifle" and "Lux" series.

Just one example:

cz-usa-cz-455-lux.png

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-lux-22-lr-5-rd-mag/

I asked a similar question about 4 months ago (see thread here).

I wound up getting a Savage Mk2 in .22LR, and I like it a lot:
qzZxRhUBE_71VFTDlC8.png

It's true that .22LR is still hard to find. The LGS I bought it at sold me 250 rounds with the gun (they keep a stash to sell along with firearm purchases). My brother found me 500 rounds more at a gun shop near him, though it cost $50.

Gander Mountain's firearm page is pretty easily searchable, and even if you don't plan to buy from them, it'll give you an idea of what's available in what caliber.

There are some fairly inexpensive bolt-action rifles in .223 Remington that might fit the bill for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is there anything decent from Marlin/Bushmaster? Those are made locally ... or used to be when I worked at Remington.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
and if you need .22 ammo just order it online http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
^^^ also a great place to buy ammo is http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/categorylisting.aspx?catid=75

The People's Republic of NY does not allow buying of ammunition online thanks to SAFE act bullsnot.

Well that's a bummer... Hmm...

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
and if you need .22 ammo just order it online http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

Not in NYS. You can't ship ammo to your house anymore, it has to go through a FFL, and they charge a fee.

It can still be worthwhile if you buy a lot, but .22LR is generally way overpriced online to begin with.

can't have .22 ammo shipped to your house? Holy cow. God I love Virginia, don't even need to have a CCP to carry my handgun concealed in my car.

If you want a real rifle and want to shoot at a range don't get a darn .22...

Get a Savage (or any other for that matter) .243 bolt action. Great round, ammo is relatively cheap and it is deadly accurate at long range. This round is so versatile you can do almost anything with it. It offers very little recoil and yet packs enough punch to allow you to hunt with it if you ever want to try that.

Just stay away from the walmart Remington 770 things, they are cheap and absolute horrible most of the time.

Also might want to consider a .223 bolt rifle, it is a cheap round, pretty accurate and can be had up to 70+ grain bullet weights for small game hunting, good plinking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm looking to buy a rifle and join a range. I have always enjoyed shooting, but never had a rifle of my own.

Have spent a lot of time at ranges with my parents' firearms or friends. Now it's time for me to get something.

I am looking for:
- Rifle
- Bolt Action (NY SAFE Act bullsnot - bolt action rifles can not be considered "assault" weapons)
- Cheap, starter rifle
- Small caliber, cheap rounds

I mentioned .22 in another thread - but it's still super hard to come by here.

Any thoughts?

I would buy:
1. Savage axis in 223 or a 110 in 223
2. Buy walmart 223 ammo
3. Another option is to buy a package savage 223 with scope, should run about 350$.

223 is a great round and you can find ammo easily.

The CZ would be a real nice option for the .22 if funds would allow. If not, the Savage is nice, I have one in .17 heavy barrel and I absolutely love how fun it is!

With that said, if you do ever want to try hunting, the .243 would do you right. I have a Ruger that's older than me, and I love that one for the caliber. Again, a Savage in .243 with their accutrigger and quality glass would be a good pick here (in fact, I was on the verge of buying this three years ago, but decided I didn't need a 4th hunting rifle!).

Just keep in mind what you want to do, strictly plinking, or plinking and possibly some type of hunting.
And the .223 suggestions are good too. Last I checked (a few years ago), any center fire cartridge that could safely take game was legal, I don't know if there is a minimum caliber requirements now. For YEARS I would watch my grandfather take Buck after Buck with his old .223 Savage.

Last edited:
Get a Savage or Marlin .223 bolt action, and if you can find one at the right price, a Remington 700 in .223 or .243.

You can buy super cheap russian .223 at wal-mart.

If possible, I would like Remington, Marlin or Bushmaster as they are made locally. I used to work at the factory for a short while and have family members that do.

I will check out .223

Hunting may be a possibility down the road - but only once I get a house.

While I agree a small centerfire would be a nice option, .223 is one of the first calibers to go out of stock around here when the hoarding starts.

If going centerfire I might look at something not normally chambered in a semi-automatic. Of course if mail order is prohibited or otherwise not cost effective due to fees, local availability rules - what can you get?

Although more expensive than .22, .17HMR is more available round these parts and still cheaper than most centerfire.

Are you talking outdoor range or indoor range with limited distance and are you looking for open sights or a scope? Also - define "cheap" what is the budget?

Edit: I see the Remington/Marlin preference (does Bushmaster make anything other than ARs?) now and am unfamiliar with their current offerings...

Last edited:
How is .223 compared to .22 for availability and pricing?

I will have to double check to make sure .223 can legally be purchased. I'm sure there's some association between Newtown and .223 ... AR-15 has been banned outright by name.

My main reason for going with bolt action is so I don't inadvertently end up buying an "assault" rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back