Heated Drying in Dishwashers - Bosch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our DW is nearly dead.

Bosch looks and sounds good. None of the models seem to have heated drying (as in active heating element). Does anyone have experience with the Bosch DW? I can't imagine the dishes are wet when done. How well does their system work?

We had one. It was very quiet and did a good job. You almost could not tell if it was running. But when it quit running I could not find a place to work on it that appeared to be trust worthy. So I replaced with a much cheaper Frigidaire that works just as well and makes noise. So far, so good.

I have a Bosch (about 8 years old) that I use for parts cleaning at my company. The heating element is not visible/exposed in the bottom like it is on my Whirlpool at home. But larger stainless steel components that I clean in the Bosch come out too hot to touch at the end of the cycle, and they are sufficiently dry, so there is a heating element somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Our DW is nearly dead.

Bosch looks and sounds good. None of the models seem to have heated drying (as in active heating element). Does anyone have experience with the Bosch DW? I can't imagine the dishes are wet when done. How well does their system work?
it's a condensation drying system. When I sold major appliances, the drying was the #1 complaint of Bosch. They wash awesome and they are quiet. The loading is nice. If you adjust the rinse-aid(which you MUST use) the drying is pretty good. The vast majority are made in the USA.

If your number #1 goal is drying, look at Asko with a fan dry system. It's great and uses the residual heat from the hi-temp rinse.

Frigidaire is bang for the buck...they will woo you with specs and features, then die before other brands.

It works pretty well. I have a Bosch Ascenta series dishwasher and I've had it for about 1.5 years.

It has an extra dry heat mode that I have turned on in my dishwasher. I think it just heats the final rinse water more so it will evaporate faster. The manual tells how to turn on the extra dry heat mode. We sometimes leave the door open for a few minutes after it's done to help the hot water evaporate, but I don't even know if that helps.

Frankly, drying doesn't matter that much to me. All I know is that when I empty it there doesn't seem to be water on everything. I do use rinse aid.

Plastic items sometimes are wet, but that's an issue with any dishwasher.

Our dishwasher cleans great, is super quiet, is built in the USA with US and global components and was pretty affordable.

My mother in law just recently bought a Fridgidaire and I was unpleasantly surprised to see that it's made in China.

Bosh dishwashers are slightly smaller on the interior than something like a Whirlpool. My main priorities were quiet (it's almost unbelievably quiet for a dishwasher this cheap) and cleaning performance. It's very good in both categories. I would definitely buy it again.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
I have a Bosch (about 8 years old) that I use for parts cleaning at my company. The heating element is not visible/exposed in the bottom like it is on my Whirlpool at home. But larger stainless steel components that I clean in the Bosch come out too hot to touch at the end of the cycle, and they are sufficiently dry, so there is a heating element somewhere.

In-line heating element with the pump. More efficient that the Calrod in the bottom of the tub and won't melt your plastics. Europeans use it. Asko, Miele, Bosch

Last edited:
We have a rather old KitchenAid. We always thought about buying a Bosch or something newer, but have never had a need (knocking on wood now).

Its quiet and it cleans well. Only complaint is the food catch is more of a hard plastic mesh catcher and not a grinder that puts it down the drain.

Im sure they have been bought by some other company and cheapened and made to be lousy now (just speculating, dont have any data to suggest this), but KitchenAid might be on your list too. Quiet and dries well...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We have a rather old KitchenAid....Im sure they have been bought by some other company and cheapened and made to be lousy now (just speculating, dont have any data to suggest this), but KitchenAid might be on your list too. Quiet and dries well...

KitchenAid is still a subsidiary of Whirlpool. Have been for years.

My mom got a Bosch dishwasher a few years ago, and the heated drying system does work well. The only downside is that you have to let the dishwasher cool for over an hour before you can unload it.

I turn off my heated drying.
Wastes energy, air will dry them in an hour.

Hint - You can thin that expensive rinse aid 50/50 with white vinegar...
Like $1 a gallon at Maul-Mart...

You can also turn off the heated wash, but leave the heated rinse on.
Sterilizes the dishes....

10+ years on our Bosh, Problem free and we have terrible well water that eats appliances (Hard).

Owes us nothing, Cleans great, Dries Great and the Stainless Tub looks like new.

like others have said, the bosch does not have a traditional heating element inside the tub - rather it super-heats the water with an element underneath. so, for glass, ceramic dishes that hold the heat, they dry well. plastic dishes do not dry so well.

that said, the unit is very well made and extremely quiet.

It's good to know that they do at least heat the water. Our dishwasher (kitchenaid) has a sani-rinse option that boosts the water temp high enough in one cycle to supposedly kill almost 100% of the bacteria. I rarely use that option though.

Lately I've discovered that if I deselect heated dry, it really doesn't make a huge difference. Everything is still hot enough in there from it heating the water, that the dishes will about burn my hands if I try to unload it right after it's done.

Wish I had tried it sooner. That heating element running another 15 minutes or so after it's done washing, pipping steam out the vent (which it still does a little even without heated dry), and using up who knows how many more hundreds of watts, seems like a real waste now.

We have had one for about 6 years since we replaced our old Gaggenau (which was also very good)

As people have said, it works well, and is VERY quite.

Some lower end models are made in Mexico.

I just bought a new dishwasher a couple of weeks ago. Kitchen Aid (fancy Whirlpool) competes squarely with Bosch and has heated dry. We like the Kitchenaid, the only time you can hear it running is when the water is running in the drain, The old one made it difficult to watch TV in the room 20' away. The Kitchenaid is Made in USA also.

The only vote against the Bosch is the rack's pegs aren't adjustable and some dishes don't fit the rack's peg spacing. That's why we went with the Kitchenaid.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
It's good to know that they do at least heat the water. Our dishwasher (kitchenaid) has a sani-rinse option that boosts the water temp high enough in one cycle to supposedly kill almost 100% of the bacteria. I rarely use that option though.

Lately I've discovered that if I deselect heated dry, it really doesn't make a huge difference. Everything is still hot enough in there from it heating the water, that the dishes will about burn my hands if I try to unload it right after it's done.

Wish I had tried it sooner. That heating element running another 15 minutes or so after it's done washing, pipping steam out the vent (which it still does a little even without heated dry), and using up who knows how many more hundreds of watts, seems like a real waste now.

I never had the heat on, air dry all the time. What is the different between put the cleaned dishes away in 10-15 minutes after the dishwasher finished and next day ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
...I never had the heat on, air dry all the time. What is the different between put the cleaned dishes away in 10-15 minutes after the dishwasher finished and next day ?

to some Folks, there is a world of Difference.

My Dad is one of those folks, If he knows something like that didn't get done, he couldn't go to sleep.

he even gets mad if you let things air dry for an hour or so when hand washing dishes.
The Job isn't Done, until everything is dried & put away. and there's no relaxing until the work is done.

Last edited:
We've had a Bosch dishwasher for 5 or 6 years. I'm not sure the exact model but it was a middle of the road model that we paid ~$500 for, on sale, at Lowes.

The two biggest differences between it and previous dishwashers we've owned are:

- Lack of a grinder (it has a filter instead).
- No heating coils.

Neither has been an issue for us. The water is heated during the final rinse cycle and seems to evaporate away. Everything, outside of plastics, are dry and we don't have to worry about anything melting. The filter is a non-issue and just requires rinsing off if we clean something especially dirty.

I really have no complaints -- It's quiet (hard to tell it's even on), cleans well, dries well, and is incredibly efficient.

jefe's complaints about modern dishwashers:

-- They use the same chassis and squirt-a-ma-jiggers across the line, but sabotage the cheaper washers by having a poor tray/ peg layout. Fits dishes and glasses fine but odd shaped stuff has it rough. Little Tupperware lids are trouble in my house. Oddly replacement trays are ridiculously expensive; they know their racket.

-- Typical wash cycle is an hour forty minutes. Steam the dishes, let the steam soak the food off, rinse, repeat. Saves energy. The "hour turbo" mode uses more electricity.

-- My dishwasher demands 120'F water on input. I've never seen it go on strike, though. I think for it to reach its energy star rating it needs "someone else's hot water".

My dishes dry the old fashioned way.... with the thing open so people trip over it.

Originally Posted By: expat
We have had one for about 6 years since we replaced our old Gaggenau (which was also very good)

As people have said, it works well, and is VERY quite.

Some lower end models are made in Mexico.

Gaggenau is a sister company. Them and Thermador are part of BSH, the home appliance division of Siemens.

Can you site your reference for Mexican-made BSH products? The have a d/w plant in Germany and New Bern, NC
New Bern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back