Is it time to replace front calipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last winter was really brutal in Maryland. When temp dropped to teens, my 2003 Toyota Echo (130K miles) had right front disc brake binding issue. When temp dropped to single digits, left front disc brake had the same issue. After 10 minutes driving as front discs warmed up the issue went away. A mechanic thought it was temperature related, and found no evidence of damages related to binding on both front discs. So, I put off the idea of replacing both front calipers then. However, I never experienced this in prior winters.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a brief screeching noise from my left front brake while stopping at a red light. Due to the nature of my job I have a very brief window (a week) to take my car to a garage for repair/maintenance in the summer. Next window will be Xmas break. Should I replace both front calipers now before next winter hits considering the age of my car as a preventive measure? Each caliper would cost roughly $300 from dealer (since my car model is no longer made) plus labor.

Last edited:
Hopefully Toyo has a kit to rebuild them like Honda does. That's what the dealer used on my 99 Accord when it had 135k miles on it and the caliper started to stick. $250 to replace pads, resurface rotors and rebuild the calipers iirc.

Yes replace them if you won't have another time, but buy some calipers on Rockauto.com and take them to a shop that will install them.

You can get an unloaded Raybestos caliper for $64 on rockauto and pick your choice on pads, maybe $23 for a good set like the Wagners or $40+ for the AC Delcos.

If you are replacing calipers/pads too its wise to buy new rotors especially in the rust belt.

I wouldn't pay those crazy prices at the STEALERSHIP! Did they even figure in the price for pads and rotors? $600 for the calipers, you'll probably be at $1000 before you leave with pads and rotors.

The parts by themsleves from Rockauto will only cost you about $250 unless you buy Delphi rotors or something that are $100 each instead of your Raybestos which are about $30 each.

Just say NO to the dealership!

sifan, I used centric loaded posiquiet pads and calipers on my echo. I also bought beck arnley rotors

With help from the guys @ bitog, I did my whole front brakes for a FRACTION of what it would be to buy 1 toyota caliper.

It is truly an easy job and should take you < 2 hours; don't forget to bleed the brakes when you are done. I understand if you might not have the time.

I thought you scrapped your Echo....

-T

The mechanic could not find a rebuilt one due to the low volume of Echo. The aftermarket one cost as much as OEM's.

Low temperature will have nothing to due with the operation of the calipers. Have you cleaned and greased your slides/pins lately?

I have two Echos, 2000 and 2003. I still keep the rusty 2000 just as a backup for now. But, I intend to drive my 2003 till I die since I put a pre-luber and two Frantz (oil/transmission) bypass filters on it when it was new by myself.

Last edited:
I let the garage to do the brake jobs on my Echos since I don't have my own garage. Doesn't lubing the calipers be included as part of a brake job? How often do you have to lube the calipers?

Doubt that you need new calipers, probably just need the slides lubricated. Done every year or two should keep them in good shape.

Originally Posted By: sifan
I let the garage to do the brake jobs on my Echos since I don't have my own garage. Doesn't lubing the calipers be included as part of a brake job? How often do you have to lube the calipers?

They should clean and lube them with every brake job, but if the shop is busy (or the slides aren't seized) they often skip this step.

Then you come back later with brake problems, and they get to do more work on your car...
lol.gif

Last edited:
I guess you haven't done any/ much research. Oreillys has calipers for $55.99 each. Their website says to call ahead of time and it'll take a couple days for them to get them. This isn't some super rare car that they only made 100 of.

You don't need your own garage to do brakes. Brakes are one of the easiest things you can do to your car. Very few tools needed.

Originally Posted By: sifan
What? if you have a driveway , you can do a brake job. My old heaps are prone to sticky calipers. I have 2 special tools. An 8" C clamp and a 6 incher. I also use Sil Glyde as assembly lube. They are all single puck calipers. As long as I havent sheared a bleeder screw, I can rehab a caliper and slides, to working. Or I can go to an auto parts store, and buy what I need re-manned. and return the take off in the boxes for the core charge.

I have started to just take apart the calipers when they stick on the BMWs. After I loosen the bleeder and the hose, I snug them . I remove the pads an replace them with a thin piece and slowly pump the brake pedal and carefully watch the puck ease out of the caliper Get it out far enough to grab the puck lightly with pliers after I unscrew it from the hose. I wire brush the pucks and clean out the bores making sure the bleeder port and inlet are squeaky clean. Then, I give everything a good smear of the Sil Glyde. I even rub a bit on the seals to make them slippery. I use a C clamp and a small hammer to start the puck through the dust seal and into the bore. I use the hammer to keep the puck going into the bore with side wise taps. All the time tightening the clamp. Once it is in, I put it back to work
grin2.gif

I though caliber is a lifetime product, none of my cars ever need replacing caliber. 360+k miles LS400 still on original caliber, but the front rotor had been replaced 2-3 times and rear rotor once.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Low temperature will have nothing to due with the operation of the calipers. Have you cleaned and greased your slides/pins lately?

I agree! Lube the slide pins or replace them and use a good lube. This would have been my first move! And check that the piston is in good working condition. Check the pads for binding in their clips on the hold down bars and bleed the system.

I'd have to look at these brakes myself!

we rarely replace calipers. In Fl we just don't get all the salt corrosion you northern guys experience.

Hoses tend to get replaced more than calipers IME...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I though caliber is a lifetime product, none of my cars ever need replacing caliber. 360+k miles LS400 still on original caliber, but the front rotor had been replaced 2-3 times and rear rotor once.

What could be considered a lifetime in a nice climate is 5 years give or take in the salt belt.

I have driven in the salt for over 43 yrs and only once/twice have I replace a caliper due to an entirely different cause/issue. I drive my cars for 16-18 years
laugh.gif

The caliper that the OP is speaking of just needs some maintenance. Maybe before each winter for good measure
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back