B737 damaged from engine run on loose bricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty amazing...notice the pile of bricks still sitting on the horizontal stab.
shocked2.gif

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6107110/

Looks like a really solid surface including the mat that was under the sand (ummm...not). Wonder if it was a paver "machinegun" when the engines were throttled up?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'm boycotting that FOD walk.
can you splain what you said to us not in the know?

I think it means foreign object damage walk. Doesn't the navy walk the catapult lanes to look for damage, foreign objects?

Simply amazing. My backyard patio is made with those silly pavers. What crazy mind thought it would be a good idea to use them on an airport apron? They're lucky that the engine didn't suck anything into the inlet. They're certainly capable.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I think it means foreign object damage walk. Doesn't the navy walk the catapult lanes to look for damage, foreign objects?

the AF also does this also. Every piece of loose debris is scoured from the maintenance areas periodically. Pebbles, pieces of concrete etc.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

It's Foreign Object Debris. Bits of rock/metal/rubber/whatever on ramps/runways/and taxiways that can do a lot of damage to an aircraft. After all, FOD is what took down that Air France Concorde.
A FOD walk is done periodically at airports to check for anything that may cause damage. If you find it, you pick it up; in this case, the FOD is a ton of bricks.

Pavers for a ramp material isn't totally uncommon, but doing a full power run-up on one isn't a great plan.

It's interesting, the USAF refers to it as foreign object "Damage" and the FAA refers to it as "Debris" but the USAF will refer to the debris as FOD and have "FOD Damage".

I gather there was no ground spotter on an intercom or a Monkey on a string as we use to call them in the USAF...

In 1980 our C5a outboard engines were tested to full power on the ramp and pealed back large sections of the perfectly manicured Yakota AFB grass...

Last edited:
Pakistan strikes out again. That 734 isn't worth repairing but they might just habeeb it and rivet in an aluminum patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back