Ca 302
Ba P 635
Zn 68
Mo B 383

Physical Tests

Viscosity(cst 100C) 6.3
Solids
Acid 2.33

Lab comments: Torque converter/pump wear indicated. Silicon level satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified range.

Action: Inspect for source of wear. Drain oil from unit and resample after corrective action taken.

those hondas are not known for great transmissions the good news if its only the converter and pump that can be done reasonably but do it asap..that and the timing belt (belt is a must)

I used to have a 2002 Odyssey and several years ago had the tranny fluid analyzed. Came back VERY similar to yours - I remember High Aluminum, and the lab (Analysts, Inc) said Torque Converter wear in mine as well.

I never did anything about it, other than change the fluid more frequently. The transmission never failed, and I eventually sold it in 2007.

Thanks btanchors. I forgot to mention the trans shifts fine,
has a very slight whine which it has had since we bought it.
You sure beat the odds on your 2002

Are you using any supplements with the Valvoline such as Lubeguard?
What other fluids are you considering?
I would change more often ~ 7500 miles.

I am changing again today(sump, 3.5 qts) after about 2000 miles and adding Lubegard red. I will re-sample, but not drain,
after another 3k. Maybe that way I will get a better feel on
readings. I've heard good things about Maxlife, so really haven't considered others. Recommendations? Thank you!

What's the price comparison with Honda DW-1? There's also BG ATF, that is if you can find it.

Not really much point in just sampling in 3k miles unless you are doing a flush before adding the additive.

Quote:
Not really much point in just sampling in 3k miles unless you are doing a flush before adding the additive.

For sure. You need a VOA of the virgin fluid plus the LGred for comparison before you can possibily make any sense of a UOA.

I was going to do a sample to see if the Al numbers had dropped.
At what point to do recommend a re-sample? Thanks guys.

I was going to do a sample to see if the Al numbers had dropped.
At what point to do recommend a re-sample? Thanks guys.

Here's factory fill on a 2006 for comparison (back in early 2007). Both are 5AT, but not sure if the actual trans models are the same--probably not since at least the filters are different.
2006 Odyssey UOA ATF
anyway my iron and aluminum were just as bad. I never resampled.
Wife still drives it everyday. 100k later. Now, I DO perform a d/f with Honda z-1 every 7500 miles....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back