GM's Active Fuel Management System (AFM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent the last several days perusing truck forums, mostly GM related, trying to find out more about the AFM problems that started around the 2007 model year. Major oil consumption, lack of proper repairs under warranty (sometimes numerous repairs) only to have the AFM system tank completely once their warranty was up and then be on the hook for big $$$ repairs with little or no help from GM after the fact. I've read Dodge has a similar system but it appeared from opinions and reviews that their system was a lot better than GM's. IDK.

ALERT: This is not a GM bashing post. I've owned numerous GM products throughout my lifetime that served me well. I'm actually thinking about a full size P/U and this caused my initial research into this issue.

I know problems with vehicles get highlighted on forums when people want to vent. I personally wouldn't want a vehicle with this system if I had the choice but sadly it appears these type of systems are here to stay to satisfy CAFE requirements. Have any on this forum had to deal with this issue? Or, were the other forums magnifying a problem that's not the norm for most GM truck buyers from 2007 on?

Having owned mds equipped hemi's and maintaining 3 more I can say for certain there is no issue whatsoever with the dodge system.
And contrary to popular belief you don't have to run a 5w-20 for it to work properly.
The Chev issue was that they didn't close the valves in the shut off cylinders til after it vented a combusted fuel load,so there was no real pressure in the cylinder to seal the rings against the cylinder walls and oil consumption inevitably happened.
SteveSRT owns a fleet of chev vans and he's not having any issues whatsoever with them,so I suggest taking the internet info with a grain of salt.
Most guys don't join a model specific forum to say how great their truck is. It's usually to find info to fix or find out about problems.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
We just had a multi-page discussion on that very topic:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3393698/4

Ask the dealer or seller about ANY issues if this is a used vehicle (CarFax it), and if a new vehicle, ask the new vehicle dealer to show you GM documents that the problem has been solved, or purchase another brand.

Can't believe I missed that thread. Thanks for the re-direct. BTW MolaKule, your sig brings a smile to my face every time I read it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back