New car oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any definitive and authoritative answer from the various factories about their original factory fill and if it is different and how it might be different from the bottle of oil on the shelf at the parts counter?

I think there are enough UOAs of factory fills that demonstrate that some factory fills are different than the manufacturer's bottled oil. Honda is one such example. There may be others. Honda's factory fill has traditionally had much more molybdenum than their bottled oil, for example, and the viscosity is also a touch lower (like, down towards the new 0W-16 grade range).

Originally Posted By: Lex94
Note the bottle at 2:00...10w30.
What engine is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2p8yStnJ2A

An engine or mock-up of an engine located on a film set.
27.gif

Seriously, there's no reason to believe its a real SRT engine, or that the grade shown is actually recommended for it if it is. To actually answer the question: its so out of focus its hard to tell much, but it looks like a transverse engine and that would mean its probably a Caliber SRT-4, which hasn't even been produced since 2011 as a 2012 model. Long before the bottle being poured in was made, if I'm right that its an SRT-4.

SRT is very clear that they use Pennzoil synthetics as factory fill (and Chrysler as a whole uses Pennzoil synthetics and conventionals as factory fill in everything), but most of the SRT engines I'm familiar with (392 Hemi, Viper V10) get PU 0w40, which isn't even available in "PUP" form yet to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is there any definitive and authoritative answer from the various factories about their original factory fill and if it is different and how it might be different from the bottle of oil on the shelf at the parts counter?

Since SRT has changed from M1 0W-40 to PU 0W-40 you may notice that this spec changes like the wind based on profit margin and advertising potential, etc.

Unlikely to ever be discussed as they want the flexibility to change as desired...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back