2012 toyota tundra 5.7 0w30 when towing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Alex38
I believe the Toyota manuals say that 0w20 is recommended, but that a heavier grade of oil may be used if driving a high speeds or under a heavy load. Read the manual very carefully, but I believe they leave the window open for thicker oils under certain circumstances. Nothing wrong with 0w20, but if I were towing in the heat in a Tundra I'd probably move up to a 0w30 or 5w30 synthetic. Just my opinion.

Yep, they started doing since XW20 were phased in. Reading between the lines, xW20 are good for most but not all drivers. Surprise, surprise
wink.gif

Maybe one size doesn't fit all if the OEM qualifies it.

yes there is and Toyota agrees with me the 0w20 runs cooler and lubes better.
Listen to Toyota you may need their warranty those engines have had problems in the past. The only reason i dont do a lot of them yet is because of the warranty. Im thinking they improved a little

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
yes there is and Toyota agrees with me the 0w20 runs cooler and lubes better.

How much cooler ?

How much "better", and what is the mechanism through which it lubes better ?

And why does this only work in economies either with CAFE, or high carbon cost on vehicles purchased ?

Use the 0W-20 with confidence. Another member here, 2010_FX4 has posted great results using mobil 1 0W-20 while towing in his F-150. I would not hesitate to use 0W-20 as that is what the engine was designed for.

Pour some Mobil 1 0W-20 in your Tundra and pull that heavy load with confidence!

it does run cooler because it flows faster how much cooler i dont know but ford, Toyota and Honda agrees and they spend millions to find these things out. It lubes better because it flows faster and according to what i learned from two oil reps that were guest speakers at our engine rebuilders seminars the 0w20 is a more refined oil. And as for the last question i asked this exact question in 2010 to one of the ford factory reps and his answer was they don't have oils in that weight in some other countries. (i asked this about 5w20)
Will the 0w30 or 5w30 destroy an engine? I dont think so but the 0w20 does the job very well

Where does it flow faster in an engine (with a positive displacement pump), and where does it send the heat that it is getting ?

If Ford and Toyota agree, and have spent millions, then chances are there's a paper explaining it somewhere.

Ran a 4.7 tundra for 160k before s3lling...on rotella 15w40.

Stop thinking thick or thin is the end all be all and run what makes you happy.

Ive yet to see an ounce of proof it makes the slightest difference.

Yeah, I agree that it makes little difference, just don't like to see one way or the other justified with made up "science".

Originally Posted By: trod30
Ok went and grabbed the owners manual. I was wrong sorry. It states if 5w20 is used, that it must be replaced with 0w20 at the next oil change. It also states. An oil with a higher viscosity than 0w20 may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or under extreme load conditions.
So how I understand it, 0w30 is going to protect under load better than 5w20 or 0w20 right?
Also what is the concern with using the 0w30 besides a slightly higher oil?

The same statement is in the OM for the FJ Cruiser....0w20 preferred, but 0w30 when high speed, high load, towing, etc. I've spent some time on the FJ Cruiser forums, there's a few guys there running 0w30 since new and some are over 100k with no issues and just as good mpg compared to the guys running 0w20..

So, bottom line is: it won't hurt. And since the Toyota engineers recommend a higher viscosity under those conditions, it's obvious that they have done some testing under a heavy load and found there is better protection with a 30wt.

Last edited:
Why is it that 2 posters that advocate the 0W20 oil for towing have crazy in their name? Are you 1 or 2 persons?

Either way, both of you crazies, do you have much towing experience and oil temp and pressure measurements while towing with 0W20?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, I agree that it makes little difference, just don't like to see one way or the other justified with made up "science".

Hey if he heard it somewhere then who are you to discount it? Haw!

But seriously, as FJ above stated, you need the oil temps and the pressures to see if it is really needed. As long as the vehicle has adequate oil cooling then you can stay in grade, otherwise going up a notch is cheap and has zero downside IMO...

You aren't going to have the same oil temperatures while trying as you would unloaded. The oil will be hotter. A 0W-30 is also going to have excellent start up properties. I would definitely want something more than a 20 weight pulling 6500 pounds. It will more than likely be the viscosity of a 20 weight @ 100C while towing.

You aren't going to have the same oil temperatures while towing as you would unloaded. The oil will be hotter. A 0W-30 is also going to have excellent start up properties. I would definitely want something more than a 20 weight pulling 6500 pounds. It will more than likely be the viscosity of a 20 weight @ 100C while towing.

I'm not saying a 20 weight would lead to imminent failure, every post here is opinion and I'm just adding mine.

Mm!0w30 wont affect your engine and will be beneficial for hard work .might want to use penzoil ultra platinum 0w30 (if there is such a thing.if your toyota is diesel ?i would suggest mobil delvac1 le5w30 since where ever you are on the planet it likely pass the demand.but like i say this is for work .if it isnt working hard stick to manufacturer recommendation .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back