Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 29662
The v-rod engine was designed by Porsche if I remember correctly so your statement is moot. Harley is a marketing machine that most other companies hope to emulate. Their build uality is subpar compared to many of the Metric bikes as evidenced by the FACT that they are perennially at the bottom of reliability ratings. Their succes is due more to to a subculture than the design or quality of their bikes.

As a side note Harley riders ride the fewest number of average miles per year of any major brand. Hard to rack up miles when you just go to bike night and bar hopping.lol...

How many Harley rallies have you attended? Weekend riders..yea they exist.

I don't attend Harley rallies. I don't associate with "those" kinds of people. ROFLMAO!!!

Yeah pushrods and air cooling are real cutting edge, as is fuel injection.

Last edited:
The v-rod engine was designed by Porsche if I remember correctly so your statement is moot. Harley is a marketing machine that most other companies hope to emulate. Their build uality is subpar compared to many of the Metric bikes as evidenced by the FACT that they are perennially at the bottom of reliability ratings. Their succes is due more to to a subculture than the design or quality of their bikes.

As a side note Harley riders ride the fewest number of average miles per year of any major brand. Hard to rack up miles when you just go to bike night and bar hopping.lol...

Vrod was co-designed with Porsche. Just like the ZR1 Corvette was co-deigned with Lotus and built by Mercury Marine. So your point is moot. Lots of companies out source design or part of their manufacturing. I've had more problems with my Honda's than any of my bikes. Most of my Harley friends ride 20k or more each year. But so do my Goldwing friends. If you don't like Harleys then don't ride one. Why try and run down someone else ride?

Over 500,000 bikers at two well known spots in the country a year can't be wrong. Guess all those weekend runs to the Ryans Buffet were just warm ups for the long ride to Sturgis or Daytona.

Us posers would NEVER eat at Ryans....we drive our Beemers to Ruths Chris. We wouldn't want our Harleys dropped by the valets.

Originally Posted By: xl2006
Over 500,000 bikers at two well known spots in the country a year can't be wrong. Guess all those weekend runs to the Ryans Buffet were just warm ups for the long ride to Sturgis or Daytona.

And how many people actually RIDE there? I suspect most TRAILER the bikes there!

I've ridden twice to bike week in Daytona, in 92 and 93. Around 1,500 miles each trip with side trips to Jacksonville, Cape Canaveral and my brothers house in Kissimmee when he lived in Florida. I have the tee shirts to prove it..LOL! Not one problem with our Harleys either trip. Some trailer they're bikes but MOST ride them. In late February take a ride down south to say...Brunswick,Ga and get a nice spot along I95 and take note of the number of Harleys being ridden to Daytona vs being trailered, then get back to me.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: xl2006

And how many people actually RIDE there? I suspect most TRAILER the bikes there!

Wrong answer.

Yeah right. I guess all those Harleys I see going down the interstate wern't included in your statement.

I see more Harleys than all the other brands together on the interstate. You are just a hater, haters gotta hate.

OK lets see, the original post was to list Harley's that were ridden over 100,000 miles. I posted one that went 1,000,000 documented miles. No one said it had to be done with all the original factory equipment. Not bad for an air cooled, outdated, slow, evil handling motorcycle with 1903 technology. Someone posted a link to a guy with a metric bike that was close to 500,000 miles, but never posted back whether he made it or not.I'm guessing NOT. He might have died of boredom, or realized they came out with a better model so he traded his in. Other then alot of haters remarks, no one came up with proof that a metric bike has gone the same number of documented miles as the Harley I posted did. Harley 1 metrics 0. Thank you metric guys for helping me prove my point that a Harley ridden hard, will definitely out live a lightly ridden metric bike, and STILL be worth more.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
OK lets see, the original post was to list Harley's that were ridden over 100,000 miles. I posted one that went 1,000,000 documented miles. No one said it had to be done with all the original factory equipment. Not bad for an air cooled, outdated, slow, evil handling motorcycle with 1903 technology. Someone posted a link to a guy with a metric bike that was close to 500,000 miles, but never posted back whether he made it or not.I'm guessing NOT. He might have died of boredom, or realized they came out with a better model so he traded his in. Other then alot of haters remarks, no one came up with proof that a metric bike has gone the same number of documented miles as the Harley I posted did. Harley 1 metrics 0. Thank you metric guys for helping me prove my point that a Harley ridden hard, will definitely out live a lightly ridden metric bike, and STILL be worth more.,,

Yeah it went 1,000,000 miles with 11 rebuilds/new engines. And you're bragging about that, really. Typical Harley riders logic.

Is it possible to have an honest open discussion about Harley's issues without prejudice or hyperbole; I doubt it.

As for the comment about being a hater; hardly. I ride with a Harley rider and wave at anyone on two wheels. The same can't be said for a lot of Harley riders, 'cause they're too cool. And I think that the new Harley electric bike looks really good, it just needs a few tweeks.

The real problem is not the bikes or the manufacturer it's the culture that surrounds it. You guys are just too cool for the rest of us.

When I ride up in the mountains (WNC) I see far more metric bikes than I do Harleys, now If I drive by bike night I always see more Harley's parked than I do metrics.

Ride what you like, I do.

[ [/quote]

Is it possible to have an honest open discussion about Harley's issues without prejudice or hyperbole; I doubt it.

[/quote]

Most of the prejudice and hyperbole seems to come from you.

I ride a 2012 Honda Shadow Spirit. All the bike bashing especially Harley bashing is why I don't post in this forum very much. Yeah I have been riding for 56 years.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with metric bikes is parts availability. I worked on an old Suzuki from the 80s and it had to be junked because we couldn't get the parts for it.

Yeah it went 1,000,000 miles with 11 rebuilds/new engines. And you're bragging about that, really. Typical Harley riders logic.

As for the comment about being a hater; hardly. I ride with a Harley rider and wave at anyone on two wheels. The same can't be said for a lot of Harley riders, 'cause they're too cool. And I think that the new Harley electric bike looks really good, it just needs a few tweeks.

The real problem is not the bikes or the manufacturer it's the culture that surrounds it. You guys are just too cool for the rest of us.

When I ride up in the mountains (WNC) I see far more metric bikes than I do Harleys, now If I drive by bike night I always see more Harley's parked than I do metrics.

But you complain about what others ride? What do you ride that never had any problems? I've been riding since 1969 and still haven't found that bike. We have 2010 Limited that we ride with that is at 95K miles. And that was a month ago when he was leaving on a 3 week bike trip. Tell us what do you ride?

I guess I should have posted this last post with bigger letters that say "NO ONE SAID IT HAD TO BE DONE WITH ALL FACTORY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT" There, that should make it easy for you. Plus I posted a bike that went 10 times as far as the challenge asked for. I really don't get why your getting so upset. You had the chance to post what metric bike made it even half what the Harley did, but I guess you couldn't find one that went that many miles. I think your logic is a little backwards. I can't help it if you can't understand the Harley culture, What does the brand of bike you ride Offer? How about posting a picture of your brand support tattoo? Oh yeah, I love ridding in the mountains. Where else can you see guys in power ranger outfits driving brand new metric bikes off the road on clear, bright, sunny days, for no apparent reason?.,,

K.
Even if we take into consideration the 1000000 mile bike had 11 rebuilds its still going 90000+ miles between rebuilds,and was the million mile bike an evo,or which engine was it.
Because on anything older than a twin cam 90000 miles is amazing.

Just sayin.

As a side note Harley riders ride the fewest number of average miles per year of any major brand.

That sounds like a bit of hyperbole. Can this be backed up by other sources?

If you keep contradicting yourself, you'll be up there with Grampi as one of my most entertaining posters.

I wonder where 29662 gets his information. I have posted facts and real life experience about several different makes I have owned over the last 40 years and my posts have been largely ignored or cherry picked. I have enjoyed all of them and all were good reliable motorcycles, from dirt bikes when I was young to the Harley I own now. I haven't trashed any brand but have ended up defending Harleys and they're owners. I honestly don't understand how so many people have such contempt for one particular brand of motorcycle and they're owners. I'll be going for an early morning ride in the morning before the heat sets in and I'll stop somewhere for a cup of coffee and if another motorcycle is parked in the parking lot I'll search the rider out and speak to him or her about they're bike. I already know we have something in common before I meet the rider. I'm beginning to wonder if I were to approach some of you, what you might say about me and my bike once I left....or maybe to my face. I really don't get it.

Typical Harley riders logic.

I don't believe its typical. Most Harley guys will acknowledge their bikes have shortcomings like any other make, but will point out the positive attributes that they feel make up for them.

Most who take personal affront at any criticism are mentally or emotionally weak people with low self esteem who have linked themselves with that particular brand as a way to connect with something larger than themselves because they believe it will cause others to perceive positive qualities in them that they do not believe they possess on their own. In your mind you're criticizing a motorcycle company. In their minds you're attacking the locus of their self worth.

It isn't just HD. I see the same thing in some fellow military veterans. The next time you find yourself in the company of several veterans, voice a small criticism of the way that particular branch does something. Most everyone will agree and laugh about it. Invariably, it is the dumbest, most insecure guy in the group who gets bent out of shape.

Or point out a shortcoming of a GSXR, CBR, or R1 in the company of sport bike riders. It will be the same thing with one of them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back