In: Castrol conventional; weight unknown, Protech filter

>>>>>

Don't you hate that?
mad.gif

1998 Chevrolet S10 4.3L

169,429 mi.

Out: Castrol conventional, weight unknown, Protech filter

In: Mobil 1 HM 10W30, Purolator L24011

After taking the S10 in for a past-due rotate and balance I noticed an oil change sticker on the upper corner of the windshield. Crawled under the truck and sure enough there was a white Protech oil filter staring me in the face. I was [censored]!!!
So, on the way home I stopped in at Wally world and got a Puro filter and a jug of the CORRECT oil I've been using for years. Mobil 1 HM 10W30. As soon as I got home I got out the ramps and undid what this shop had done!!!
This really sucks because I do my oil changes every 5,000 mi. and at 170,000 I'm doing a tune-up and having intake gaskets replaced. So I'll probably be doing another oil change in less than a month!!!

Originally Posted By: DavidZ28
1998 Chevrolet S10 4.3L

169,429 mi.

Out: Castrol conventional, weight unknown, Protech filter

In: Mobil 1 HM 10W30, Purolator L24011

After taking the S10 in for a past-due rotate and balance I noticed an oil change sticker on the upper corner of the windshield. Crawled under the truck and sure enough there was a white Protech oil filter staring me in the face. I was [censored]!!!
So, on the way home I stopped in at Wally world and got a Puro filter and a jug of the CORRECT oil I've been using for years. Mobil 1 HM 10W30. As soon as I got home I got out the ramps and undid what this shop had done!!!
This really sucks because I do my oil changes every 5,000 mi. and at 170,000 I'm doing a tune-up and having intake gaskets replaced. So I'll probably be doing another oil change in less than a month!!!

Did they charge you for the oil change? A Honda dealership did that when we brought in my girlfriend's Civic for a timing belt service without asking us and we complained and had them comp us since the oil was literally just changed a week or so beforehand.

Not charged, and no mention at all. I found it by "accident" when I saw that sticker on the windshield. Very reputable shop too, I am perplexed at why they would do that. I haven't mentioned it to them yet and don't know if I will. But I talk to them at least twice a week as they buy parts from us.

I always fear that happening. Never had it happen though. I imagine if it did I would walk in there pretty ticked demanding to see someone to rip into.

It's not the oil that bothers me - its the filter. They screw them on so tight it's almost impossible to get off. Had to crush one with a filter wrench once before I got it off. Do they impact wrench those things on?!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

It's not the oil that bothers me - its the filter. They screw them on so tight it's almost impossible to get off. Had to crush one with a filter wrench once before I got it off. Do they impact wrench those things on?!

That's exactly what happened. That Protech filter was a bear to get off, and it was only on there for 14 miles!! I want to meet the gorilla who put this filter on. I think he might have paid for an engine or two in the past because of a loose oil filter.

I think it also has to do with the fact that they have more leverage from standing underneath a vehicle compared to most of us who use ramps.
21.gif
Regardless, I've noticed the same thing when I've worked on cars that were dealership maintained prior. I have had to crush a few filters getting them off.

Father-in-Law's 2010 Ford F150 with 5.4 litre V8

Out: Local Ford Dealer oil (I believe QSGB 5W-20) and Motorcraft 820s

In: Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and Motorcraft 820s

Last edited:
Mother-in-Law's 2007 Toyota Camry with 2.4 litre 4-cylinder

Out: Mobil 1 5W-20 and Orange Can 4386

In: Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and Purolator Classic 14477

Originally Posted By: i812
Outback 3.6L
Out: 7qts GC 0W30 OEM filter
In: 5Qts PYB 20W50, 1Qt Mobil TDT 5W40, 1Qt Kendall Ti blend 5W30. OEM filter

Wow. Just curious why the 5qts of 20w50?

Some how the bottom of the 5qt jug was punctured and a small amount of oil seeped out. I didn't have a spare container to transfer the oil into. So, I decided I would use it for my OCI that was due. Just coincidence!

2005 Ford Focus 2.0L

Out: VSP 5w-20 and Defense oil filter

In: QS Horsepower Synthetic 10w-30/Fram Synthetic 5w-30 and NAPA ProSelect

1995 Buick Roadmaster

60,103 miles

Drained out Pennzoil 5W-30 Synthetic Blend and Bosch filter

Filled with Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30 Synthetic Blend and ACDelco PF52
Also noticed small antifreeze leak from what I believe to be a rad hose

120,000 miles/7k OCI/8oz added since 113,000: PP 5w-30 + Toyo/Denso filter...feels silkier than before when I thought it was already smooth as, well, you know....

Last edited:
Back