Airventure 2014 Oshkosh WI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any aviation buffs heading to Oshkosh the end of July to early August? All the info is on the EAA website. I'll be there at least a few days, I have the 1st days off so far.

The opening entertainer this year is 'Kenny Loggins' on July 28th. I live fairly close, so it's easy to get there.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

I will be there! One of my favorite events. I am a private pilot, so it kinda makes sense hahaha.

Never gone. It's tempting, but we have the Air & Water Show here which offers a lot of the same stuff for free.

I went in 2000 and 2001 "working" for Civil Air Patrol. It was pretty cool to do all the air marshaling. One of the jobs we had was writing down the tail numbers of every plane that landed, that was fun.

Dparm, since you are near Chicago it's an easy day trip, long day. I hardly go for any of the flying air show, I do turn my head when something catches my eye or ear.

I like the forums, commercial exhibits, seminars, and the overall environment. I'm wondering if I should Spring for an upper end noise canceling headset. The one's I'm looking at are the Bose A20 or that new AV-100, I think it's called.

I have a Piper Warrior that I plan to keep until our 10 y/o is through his formative years. He may want to learn to slip the bonds of earth someday.

Mr_Joe, when I was at Airventure last year, I tried every headset (except for the AKG AV-100, it wasn't out yet.) and concluded that I liked the Sennheiser S1 the best.

The AKG looks very promising though, I'll be trying it this year.

The reason I go to Airventure is not the airshows (though they are great), but because of the people and atmosphere.
I always volunteer some of my time as a departure briefer as well, I find it quite interesting.

Thanks for the headset pirep, my 1st choice has been the Bose A20, just saw that newer AV100 on the market the other week. For what I do the older David Clarks do O.K. I do think I put up with more noise than I have to.

If I don't order one before Airventure, I may just try a bunch out and see what I like. Since DC has been good to me, I should check their offering too. I thought blue tooth capability would be nice though. I think I would like clear cell phone capability just before takeoff if able.

My family has attended for many years. Because of going for years it has influenced my son to be an aerospace engineer.
He will be starting his freshman year this fall at Iowa State.
My youngest son's dream is to be an Air Force pilot and fly not fighters but the big cargo planes. I can't argue with that.
The show has a lot of great things to see and do.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Thanks for the headset pirep, my 1st choice has been the Bose A20, just saw that newer AV100 on the market the other week. For what I do the older David Clarks do O.K. I do think I put up with more noise than I have to.

If I don't order one before Airventure, I may just try a bunch out and see what I like. Since DC has been good to me, I should check their offering too. I thought blue tooth capability would be nice though. I think I would like clear cell phone capability just before takeoff if able.

A few pilots I know have bought DC's ANR set and ended up returning them and buying A20s. They say the DC's ANR system and comfort has nothing on the A20's, and I believe them.

Like I said, I tried them all at Airventure and the DCs were definitely not my pick. Just trying to save ya some trouble.
wink.gif

I won't be there, but Cleaveland Aircraft Tool will be. I do some welding work for them. Talk to Mike, he's a total geek when it comes to flying and the tools that they sell. A good guy for sure!

What the hay, I ordered the Bose A20 headset today. If one was to average all the reviews, it's hard to not have them as a top pick.

Can I use them(or Son) plugged into the home computer with an adapter? Just thought they would maybe do well there too.

I flew a few times with the new Bose A20, work just great. I actually got them NIB from a reputable eBay seller, just a bit off retail.

I plan to be at Airventure on the 28th, may just go for the day, possibly overnight. My plans are very fluid, the weather will factor in too. Besides the flying part, I'd rather not camp in the rain.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Never gone. It's tempting, but we have the Air & Water Show here which offers a lot of the same stuff for free.

Nothing you can see in Chicago is anything close to what EAA's annual convention event offers.
Has a Concord ever shown up?
How about an A380?
Both have made it to Oshkosh in the past.

I can't really go until tomorrow. The Piper Warrior is all ready, including a fresh oil change, wash and wax job. It's fueled precisely for the two
The weather looks like it will cooperate, some headwind on the flight up.

I've been to Oshkosh a few times. Once when it was intolerably hot. Once when we had some very damaging hail. However, both times, it was incredibly fun and I want to go again.

Maybe I'll fly my Cardinal up there. It's about 7 hours from South FL, and 80 Gal each way. Ugh.

Well, at least in FL you have Sun & Fun at Lakeland in April. I went way back in 1992, it was fun, camped by the plane. Oshkosh is larger of course, helps that it's close for me.

Right now the weather looks O.K. For the most part. There may be a shower or 3 but no major system parking over WI. It's always better to tent camp with cooperative weather.

Three of us flew up in the Warrior, the older Son and a friend. We had a great time. I even bought 2 cases of Phillips 66 aviation oil, and a few other things. The weather was great, moderate temps and a few mid-level clouds.

That's all I get this year, one full day. I didn't get to some forums I bookmarked, but did do some valuable research. We had a nice tailwind for the flight home.

Given the continuing attacks by various media and politicians on PP-ASEL holders flying certified GA piston singles, and just GA in general, the EAA is doomed. Just wait until the GA haters in the media find out that there are folks flying around a/c on only their driver license because they can't pass a 3rd class medical, and those a/c may have been amatuer built. I can see USA Today wetting their pants already.

As for me, I'll take one Arion Lightning LS-1 please. Maybe even the experimental version ('cause it's faster).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back