Clicking at start-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

I've got a 2004 Hyundai XG350L with the 3.5 liter sigma engine that is shard with 2003-2006(ish) Santa Fe, Kia Sedona, Kia Sorento, and Kia Amanti.

I've got a clicking sound at start-up, especially in the cold, coming from the cam cover. It goes away after the engine is running for a while. What could possibly be causing this? How do I fix it?

Thanks.

Take the cam cover off. Drape everything except the area of concern. Start the engine. Put your thumb on the rocker, be careful. Lifter? Rocker arm? Camshaft? All three.

It looks like it has hydraulic lifters/lash adjusters, you may have one or more sticking.
You can try an additive for this before tearing anything apart. There are a few out there, MMO or Rislone work as you drive and are cheap and easy to find.
Start with one of these before getting into anything stronger or more expensive. Depending on how many miles on this OC you might want to do an OC at the same time.

Don't let anyone talk you into a $25 bottle of snake oil, the only thing it does is clean you wallet.

Sounds like dirty lifter. I agree with Trav, start with kreen or MMO as "gentle" cleaners, but I personally wouldn't count on them working based upon my experience in a very clean engine.

I ended up having to go B-12 very carefully (idle only, no driving, just before change), and there are instructions on here in one of the B-12 threads.

I've also read that restore CSL is used on keeps a lot to quiet lifters. It has worked on mine it seems.

I have had many vehicles come to me suffering from lifter tick. Poor maintenance is usually the problem.

I've used seafoam,mmo,stp multi,all with success. My habit is to do an oil change using 1 grade thicker oil to compensate for the additive thinning the oil slightly.

You could try a flush type product that is run at idle then change the oil to a decent syn known for cleaning like pennzoil and monitor.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. Here's what I think I'll do:

Throw in a quart of MMO for about 2,000 miles. If that doesn't work, I'll put in some seafoam or B12 right before the oil change. I plan on doing Maxlife Syn with an OEM filter. Hopefully that does the trick.

B-12, NOT seafoam.

DOnt drive it once you put it in, just idle for 15 minutes or so. Make sure the dosing is correct.

You sure a "click" isnt some relay coming on and off (eg. O2 heater circuit with relay PWMing the controls)?

If the car has anything other than an OEM oil filter on it, THAT is where you need to start. Hyundai/Kia has issued several TSBs about this very thing. The noise you are describing is the exact noise the engine will make when an aftermarket oil filter is used. Don't ask me why this is the case, but it IS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
If the car has anything other than an OEM oil filter on it, THAT is where you need to start. Hyundai/Kia has issued several TSBs about this very thing. The noise you are describing is the exact noise the engine will make when an aftermarket oil filter is used. Don't ask me why this is the case, but it IS.

This.

My aunt has a Sonata and I used an OEM filter on it after hearing they're picky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back