Factory fill question, needing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new 14' Mazda 2 about 6 weeks ago. I questioned the service manager at the dealership about when to change out the factory fill as it wasn't listed in the owner's manual.

He adamantly held up five fingers and said, "5000 miles no questions asked. The oil has special additives for break-in. Leave it in a full 5000".

The problem is that this vehicle is a from home to work and back commuter that only gets 300 miles a month of use. 5000/300 = 17 months to change oil, not counting the 4 months it was sitting at dealership.

I really want to change it out right before winter.

What do you all think?

It will be fine if you leave it in for 5,000 miles, but the owners manual will specify a maximum number of months to leave the oil in once you take ownership, approx 6-12 months depending on your model.

Just drive it hard, break it in good and dump the FF before winter, you will sleep much better at night, don't even have to let the dealership know!

Originally Posted By: Vibe_2007
He adamantly held up five fingers and said, "5000 miles no questions asked. The oil has special additives for break-in. Leave it in a full 5000".

If you fall under the severe service, then Mazda is pretty clear that the oil change interval is not only every 5k miles, but also every 4 months, whichever comes first:

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/maint_schedules/2014_MZ2_MS.pdf

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

If you fall under the severe service, then Mazda is pretty clear that the oil change interval is not only every 5k miles, but also every 4 months, whichever comes first:

Wow, 4 months. Kind of sucks that 0w-20 is a pretty pricey oil to dump at that interval. Really going to shoot for 6 months. Drive it 20 miles on weekends for something. Mazda 0w-20 high moly oil is 7 bucks a quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It will be fine if you leave it in for 5,000 miles, but the owners manual will specify a maximum number of months to leave the oil in once you take ownership, approx 6-12 months depending on your model.

Just drive it hard, break it in good and dump the FF before winter, you will sleep much better at night, don't even have to let the dealership know!

Good points here. Probably a good plan to dump it right before winter anyhow. Sat on dealership lot from temps ranging from -25F to now 90F this summer.

Special break-in additives. LOL. That's a good one.

However, he is close to being on point. Oil analyses of factory fills sometimes show higher levels of molybdenum which seems to be not an intentionally added boost but rather due to some residual assembly lube that is on the internals which dissolves into the oil. Not a bad thing.

If it were me I'd stick with the recommendation, but since the car is being short tripped by the commute, I'd be sure and take it out and drive it an hour or so straight at least once a week to remove possible build-up of unevaporated condensate in the crankcase.

Bought a new 14' Mazda 2 about 6 weeks ago. I questioned the service manager at the dealership about when to change out the factory fill as it wasn't listed in the owner's manual.

The problem is that this vehicle is a from home to work and back commuter that only gets 300 miles a month of use. 5000/300 = 17 months to change oil, not counting the 4 months it was sitting at dealership.

What do you all think?

I left my FF in the 2014 CX5 for 7,200 miles. It has the 2.0 engine. Definately smoother with the new oil in (went with PP 0w20) but I dont think there is any issue with leaving in FF as long as stated by the manufacturer. With that said, feeling good about how you treat your car is more important, so if you feel better changing it out early go for it, definately wont hurt.

12 months max, it is dino, so lose it.
Read ur owners manual, it says 12 months or 5 k ...

Take it on empty road and drive at varying rpm
Google break in procedure.

I bought a case of the Mazda 0w-20 "high moly" oil and from what I have read it has a lot of moly. Could mitigate dumping a factory fill with high moly by running genuine Mazda high moly oil.

My main issue is that the crankcase has been in sub zero weather sitting, then test drove, then sitting, etc.

+1 on getting it out on the weekends to put some highway miles on it.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Special break-in additives. LOL. That's a good one.

However, he is close to being on point. Oil analyses of factory fills sometimes show higher levels of molybdenum which seems to be not an intentionally added boost but rather due to some residual assembly lube that is on the internals which dissolves into the oil. Not a bad thing.

If it were me I'd stick with the recommendation, but since the car is being short tripped by the commute, I'd be sure and take it out and drive it an hour or so straight at least once a week to remove possible build-up of unevaporated condensate in the crankcase.

What do you all think?

I bought a case of the Mazda 0w-20 "high moly" oil and from what I have read it has a lot of moly. Could mitigate dumping a factory fill with high moly by running genuine Mazda high moly oil.

That's what I'd suggest. In the past the special break in oil usually was just a high moly oil. I don't know if that's the case here, but if it is then just replacing it with more Mazada high moly oil would be a great replacement if you wanted to change it earlier.

As for the engine and the oil in there, what's done is done, the only thing I think you can do (other than changing the oil) is to take it out on the high way for a good 30 minutes to make sure it gets up to temps and gets out any water that might be in there.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Wow, 4 months. Kind of sucks that 0w-20 is a pretty pricey oil to dump at that interval. Really going to shoot for 6 months. Drive it 20 miles on weekends for something. Mazda 0w-20 high moly oil is 7 bucks a quart.

The 0w20 at walmart cost the same as 5w20,5w30 and 10w30. Whether it be Mobil-1 or Castrol...etc.
Is 0w20 more where you live?

Didn't know you already had a supply of the good stuff, so I think your idea as backed up by sicko is likely a prudent avenue to consider. It gives peace of mind and you would essentially be putting pure factory fill in to replace the used stuff. I'd recommend using the OE oil filter as well instead of some after market piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back