Duragloss 601 and 105 mix question

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that have done this before. I mixed the 601 Bonding Agent one part to the 105 Total Performance Polish 4 parts. Applied it to the car in the garage cool, and let it sit overnight in the garage. This morning I went out and took it off with a large microfiber cloth. It didn't come off easy at all. I thought you were supposed to let it sit? What is the proper procedure for doing this? Or is it always a pain to remove? Car looks good though.

I'd only leave it on for a few hours max. Wipe off when it passes the smudge test. Apply it with a cheap wax spreader for even application. Then it should be very easy to remove. Hopefully you clayed the car first as well.

In my experience, when mixed properly, it goes off fairly quickly, and certainly within an hour or two. I use it on the windows, bumpers, and plastic, too. Preparation and a good clean and uncontaminated surface is key. Really fantastic stuff, especially when finished with a carnauba wax.

Car is new and I only clayed the top and hood. I thought I read some where you were supposed to let it sit. BTW I've checked the Duragloss web site and searched all the info I can, I can't seem to find any definitive directions for this procedure.

You're supposed to let it flash (dry). I usually coat the entire car, then check the first panels to make sure they pass the wipe test, then buff off in the order I did the panels.

Quite frankly, my best bet would be that you applied it too thick. This is very common with synthetic sealants. It's almost as if you can see it from 5 feet away, it's too thick.

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
For those that have done this before. I mixed the 601 Bonding Agent one part to the 105 Total Performance Polish 4 parts.

You mixed them in the same container and then applied it? I haven't heard of that before. 601 is supposed to be applied to the car first, but you don't wipe it off. You apply your LSP over the top of it.

Let me see if I can find the directions.

Edit:
To apply Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent, spread a very thin coat over your vehicle. Allow the product to haze but do not remove it. Apply the paint protection of your choice on top of the hazed PBA. Remember that PBA works with polymer sealants, such as Duragloss Clear Coat Polish #111. During the application and removal of the sealant, you will remove both products at once.

Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent serves as “glue” between the paint and a polymer paint sealant in the sense that it encourages a better bond and longer life of the sealant. You can get double the protection and double the length of protection by simply adding one coat of PBA before your last step product.

http://www.duragloss.com/Pre-Polishing-Agents/Polish-Bonding-Agent/8-oz.---Duragloss-PBA-(Polish-Bonding-Agent)

^ Right on their website. It's a time saving update that was added recently.

Originally Posted By: fredf
Agree with the last comment--you likely applied it too thick.

A full size car should only take about 1.5 ounces of product, give or take a bit.

I agree that too much was used but also there is no reason to let it sit so long. It should flash and be ready to remove in minutes. Leaving it overnight serves no purpose.

I will not make the same mistake next time, I created a lot of extra work for my self. The car is slick though. I like the way it looks.
photo1_zpsa6bd1a01.jpg
photo2_zpsad006ed2.jpg

Last edited:
I mixed 601 with 501 1:4. I applied to the whole truck, and then removed (about an hour cure time). I loved the results. Application and removal was very easy.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33
For those that have done this before. I mixed the 601 Bonding Agent one part to the 105 Total Performance Polish 4 parts.

You mixed them in the same container and then applied it? I haven't heard of that before. 601 is supposed to be applied to the car first, but you don't wipe it off. You apply your LSP over the top of it.

Let me see if I can find the directions.

Edit:
To apply Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent, spread a very thin coat over your vehicle. Allow the product to haze but do not remove it. Apply the paint protection of your choice on top of the hazed PBA. Remember that PBA works with polymer sealants, such as Duragloss Clear Coat Polish #111. During the application and removal of the sealant, you will remove both products at once.

Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent serves as “glue” between the paint and a polymer paint sealant in the sense that it encourages a better bond and longer life of the sealant. You can get double the protection and double the length of protection by simply adding one coat of PBA before your last step product.

This is how I did it on my 14 Mustang GT and it worked great. It came off easy. I used the 601 and 111. I applied it last November and a few months ago I used the Aquawax after I washed the car and the car was still wet and I wasn't as impressed with the feel of the paint afterward. The 601 and 111 together made the paint feel very smooth. Using the Aquawax later made it feel rough. The water still beads up great though and the paint does shine. I like Duragloss and will continue to use it.

Wayne

I did the 601, 105 combo on my wife's Escape today. I did it differently than I did last time. This time I mixed the two right on my applicator and smeared it around and applied it, I had both bottles with me and just guessed with the 4-1 ratio. But any way it turned out fantastic. Easy on and easy off unlike last time when I let it sit. This vehicle just hit 100k, we've owned it since new. I'll be stacking it with Chemical Guys wax too.

[img:center][/img]

On another note, I stacked some Chemical Guys butter wet wax on top of the 601-105 combo I did on my Focus which started this thread. All I can say is, I think this is the combo I'll use on this car, the picture really doesn't due it justice.

[img:center][/img]

I know. I've been messing with cars/motorcycles since I was 16 (almost 25 years) washing waxing detailing like most normal gear head car guys. I've never had a finish turn out like the Focus has.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Using the Aquawax later made it feel rough.

Check it again after 24 hours which gives the AW a chance to cure. Will be as slick as owl snot.
thumbsup2.gif

I'll be stacking it with Chemical Guys wax too.

Surf City has a nice carnauba wax called Barrier Reef liquid wax which would be a great topper. Only $10 a bottle or so. Or the DG Aquawax as mentioned which is one of their best products imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back