Amalie Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
While watching an IHRA event on TV the other day I saw an oil name I've never seen before.

Amalie Oil
http://www.amalie.com/specsheets/1_pcmo.pdf

What's up with this stuff. I've searched and found nothing about this oil on this site.

Mind you I'm not interested in using it, I'm just wondering who's heard of it, and what's the deal with it? Curiosity mostly, brought on by this site
grin.gif

It's a cheap oil, apparently only available in the US. Probably no better or worse than Autolab from Canadian Tire or AutoPrix from Zellers, just a minimum specs oil and no more. Then again, I've only ever seen Amalie oil once at VIP Auto, and I think it was the non-detergent stuff. Bah, what do I know.

[ January 01, 2006, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: 55 ]

Maybe 20 years ago Amalie was a sister brand to Kendall brand oil and was owned by Witco Chemical. They were both first class oils but generally not marketed well. The two brands have since been sold off. Someone here probably knows who owns them now. If I had to guess I would say Conoco.

From its website:

Amalie Oil Company was one of the original "Pennsylvania Crude" oil companies.
Founded in 1903 in Franklin, Pennsylvania by the Sonneborn brothers, Amalie quickly developed a reputation for high-quality, well-engineered petroleum products.
In 1953, Amalie was the first oil company to introduce a multi-grade motor oil: the Imperial 10W30.
Through the years, Amalie has continued to innovate with synthetic oils, high-TBN fleet lubricants, specialty industrial oils, and a technical services department and on-site laboratory that ensure only the highest-quality products.
Our state of the art main production facility in Tampa, Florida boasts some of the fastest and most sophisticated bottle blow-molding, blending, and packaging equipment available.
Located on a deep-water dock, and with over 18 million gallons of bulk storage and blending, Amalie has the economies of scale to economically produce fully licensed products that meet or exceed the manufacturers' requirements, as well as your expectations.

From Yahoo finance:

No one can mix up oil like grandma does.
Amalie Oil (named after the founders' grandmother) blends and supplies lubricants and other oil products including motor oils, transmission fluids, gear oils, and greases.
To control costs, the company also manufactures its own bottles to store its products.
Amalie Oil, which markets its products worldwide, has distribution operations in Dallas; Jacksonville, Florida; and Los Angeles.
The Sonneborn brothers founded the company, one of the early Pennsylvania Crude (paraffin-rich) oil enterprises, in 1903.
Lubricants firm Petroleum Packers acquired Amalie Oil in 1998 and Petroleum Packers changed its name to Amalie Oil.

Whitco owned Amalie and Kendall,sold them off to Sun Oil and then the Florida bunch bought Amalie from Sun because they thought they were "neglecting" the brand.Brad Penn is made at the former Whitco site.

I've used their Pro Synthetic Blend 5w-30 motor oil. It is available at local Federated Auto Parts stores and I pick up a case when I see its on sale. Never had any issues with it. Engines run just as quiet on it as they do on the other oil I use Valvoline, Mobil-1, Castrol, and Kendall. Amalie, for some reason, has always beeen in auto parts stores where I live(Cleveland, Ohio).

Thanks for the info xtell... I haven't seen it here locally...but I really haven't been looking for it either... might pick me some up if I ever spot out it in the wild.

No problem, I actually had this posted on the UOA section when I first had it done. I was impressed, I think for the $3.60 a quart I paid for the oil that I am getting a very good add-pack. I buy it from a local independent store that always has the owner behind the counter and he's very resourceful and helpful. We actually run 3 varieties of Wolf's Head in my house. Super Duty 10-30, Syn Pack 5-30 Dexos, and 15-40 Extreme Duty. These 3 weights cover all our vehicles requirements and I get it for a decent price and team it with the Wix filters he sells. I suppose I could save a few pennies going to Wal Mart or something. However, is Wal-Mart going to source me a Lada Niva clutch or spend an hour trying to cross reference 2CV wheel bearings?

I like those kind of autopart stores... not mainstream and knowledgeable folks that have been in the automotive industry for many years... Along the same lines as our local Western Auto.. I know I might pay more ,but they know what I'm looking for and always seem to have my parts in stock or know how to get them.

I've seen Wolf's Head gain a foothold here in Kalamazoo over the last couple years and have used it with no issues in my outdoor power equipment and customer vehicles like this 2CV very often. I'm a little surprised at how well this oil fared in Mr. Boyle's 2CV, given the cost, compared to Rotella and Delo which have been used in past. I'd have no problems running this oil in any HD application that requires 15W-40 I just wish it were more widely sold here in Michigan. If anyone is looking for a good quality lube, don't be afraid to run with the wolf.

I used to use their oil all the time when I lived back home in NYC. I used to buy it from a speed shop out on Long Island when they would clear it out for $1 a quart. It was always the 5W50 that was cleared out and really dusty. I used it in a car that really didn't care what it got and never had issues with it. Have not seen it on a shelf in quite a while though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back