inspecting used tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
i have had zero luck with used tires. i had 8 put on my peterbilt and only 6 made the 60 mile drive home.the rest blew up over about a 2 month period sittting in my driveway. i bought one for my jeep and it had a huge bulge/seperation in the tread. the rest at the used tire stores were regrooved into the cords.

people tend to run tires until they are bald or ruined somehow. imo new tires are my only option here.

I would look on ebay or amazon. Check to see if the seller has a good rating. Also look at the "blemish" tires on ebay. They have no structural defects, they are called blemishes due to cosmetic issues like mispelled or mis-placed letters on the tire.

Thread has to match rim width ,no but no maybe .yes the standard authorise this wiggle,dont accept it.if your rim is 8.25 inch stamped on it make sure the thread is 8.25 inch.also no rethread on steering (big rig)these sound like simpleton tip but will be very helpfull for even wear etc

Originally Posted By: soyeahiknow

I would look on ebay or amazon. Check to see if the seller has a good rating. Also look at the "blemish" tires on ebay. They have no structural defects, they are called blemishes due to cosmetic issues like mispelled or mis-placed letters on the tire.

Local chain tire store I used to work at has a "30 day ride guarantee" and we sent tires back to the wholesaler for being out-of-round or having other non-obvious defects.

Wonder where they go. Perfect tread.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: soyeahiknow

Local chain tire store I used to work at has a "30 day ride guarantee" and we sent tires back to the wholesaler for being out-of-round or having other non-obvious defects.

Wonder where they go. Perfect tread.

I'm sure some do end up on someones car who just puts up with it. I got a unmounted new snowtire at the used tire place, to replace one on the Tracker. I did ask how they got it and got a mumbley answer about sometimes getting singles when that model is done. It turned out it wasn't quite round but I put it on the back and ran it at the factory marshmellow pressure of 28 psi, it was unnoticable in our 60mph driving. The rest of the set was done at the end of winter anyways, so I saved $7-80 with no downside.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Thread has to match rim width ,no but no maybe .yes the standard authorise this wiggle,dont accept it.if your rim is 8.25 inch stamped on it make sure the thread is 8.25 inch.also no rethread on steering (big rig)these sound like simpleton tip but will be very helpfull for even wear etc

I'm calling this an old wife's tale. When I was designing tires, the allowable rim width range was one thing and what tread width we used was something separate. You would kind of think that if these 2 things were related, it would have shown up as part of our design standards.

Having said that, it is a coincidence that rim widths and tread widths are about the same - and that's a function of the shape of the cross section of the tire, not the Physics. Plus, people don't need to worry about the width of the tread. If they look at the specs for allowable rim width range, they will be OK. No need for the other gymnastics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back