Blizzak WS70 or XI3s or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some of the snow tire survey results on Tire Rack, just starting to think about what to do for next year, and was a bit surprised how the Xi3s compared in the deep snow traction category in particular, and to a lesser extent the light snow and ice categories versus a few other tires.

Winter/Snow Tire Survey Results

Is there substantial better performance in the other Studless Snow and Ice tires out there or is this more noise in the online reviews? Anyone run Xi3s and something else rated higher (Blizzaks in particular) and have a better experience with one over the other?

It's splitting hairs at that point. Even if you look at Tire Rack's tests (not the subjective user ratings), the differences are extremely small. I would just buy whichever is cheaper or has the better warranty.

My parents have run the Blizzak WS and X-Ice series and have said they're basically equivalent. My dad claims the X-Ice3 is a tad quieter than the Blizzak WS70, but that might just be a result of the XI3 being a newer design.

IME, for deep snow you want lots of gaps and little rib pattern, more like the Firestone winterforce than the ice tires. The ice tires are nicer 95% of the time and on clear roads. But if you need to get up the last hill on the backroads to get home, you might be cursing them...
The high deep snow rating of the goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT makes me suspicious of their testing as well, the smooth shoulder is a huge disadvantage for turning in deep snow.

I have run both Blizzak WS70's and Michelin X-Ice2's on my Camaro. I think the Blizzaks had better traction in slush. Snow traction was equivalent between the two. The Michelins had better road feel than the Bridgestones. My Michelins are now down to the snow wear bars, so I'll be buying new winter tires this year. I will consider X-Ice3's and WS70's.

What about Nokian Hakka R2's? I've been very impressed with the Hakka R's in the OEM 16" 215/60-16 size on my Cruze. The R2's are supposed to be measurably better than the R's, which are already a great snow tire. Well, if you can get them for a competitive price, that is!

If your Cruze is still doing its 100 mile daily commute, purchasing a LRR snow tire like the R2 or XI3 will pay for itself in fuel savings over a non-LRR snow tire while giving up nothing in performance. Also, a pricier snow tire has better road manners on the clear days. Having done 100+ mile daily commutes before (and still doing a 50 mile daily commute), good road manners make the drive so much more pleasant!

what car are the winter tires going on? this is very important in selecting your winter tires.

First - do not pay much attention to opinions.
Second - winter tires require tests with tools to tell top ones apart.
Third - I think Bridgestone will be releasing WS80 this autumn so you should be able to get WS70 cheap.
Fourth - deep snow will test your vehicle ground clearance sooner than WS70, Xi3 or Hakka R2 traction.

Krzys

PS I think Michelin Xi3 and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 are the best studless on the market now. WS80 is unknown. I would buy the cheaper one from first two.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what car are the winter tires going on? this is very important in selecting your winter tires.

A Cruze LS. Weighs about 3100 lbs and can get a little tail-happy at times if the inner wheel hits a bump mid-turn thanks to the twist-beam rear suspension.

Sorry for the lack of details - I wanted to get a read on what I was seeing in the survey comparison since that is what sparked my interest in the question.

As far as what car - Cobalt, Cavalier, Saturn or some combination of those. And keeping an eye out for friends & family. I actually pulled the trigger on snows for the Cruze last year (particularly thankful after the winter we had) based on the advice here, went with Xi3s. Primary drivers feedback was good, I probably drove 120 miles in storms, no complaints. After last winter I'll probably get snows for one of our other two cars this year (Saturn and Cobalt).

I was originally going to go with Xi3s but scrolling through I had seen some WS70s on closeout and have heard nothing but good things, then I saw the surveys and got curious. Sounds like I shouldn't stress too much over it, the WS70s aren't price agressively enough to warrent buying them now.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I was looking at some of the snow tire survey results on Tire Rack, just starting to think about what to do for next year, and was a bit surprised how the Xi3s compared in the deep snow traction category in particular, and to a lesser extent the light snow and ice categories versus a few other tires.

Winter/Snow Tire Survey Results

Is there substantial better performance in the other Studless Snow and Ice tires out there or is this more noise in the online reviews? Anyone run Xi3s and something else rated higher (Blizzaks in particular) and have a better experience with one over the other?

If you need something for deep snow go with Blizzak's. Plus, they seem better in ice, but that is due to the softer compound.
Downside, they will last 20-25K at most.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I have run both Blizzak WS70's and Michelin X-Ice2's on my Camaro. I think the Blizzaks had better traction in slush. Snow traction was equivalent between the two. The Michelins had better road feel than the Bridgestones. My Michelins are now down to the snow wear bars, so I'll be buying new winter tires this year. I will consider X-Ice3's and WS70's.

When I called Tire Rack and asked about the best winter tires for icey conditions of hilly PA I was told...Bridgestone Blizzak WS** and Genreal AltiMAX Arctic. For less severe winter driving and/or more highway driving with less snow/ice...Michelin X-ice Xi-3

Last edited:
50% of 10-12 of 32nd is already below snow wear bars.
One should not operate such worn tires in winter conditions but it makes the difference between full tread depth and half that much more pronounced.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
50% of 10-12 of 32nd is already below snow wear bars.

Exactly. Any snow tire will become fairly useless when you're down to 50% tread or below, regardless of what compound it's made of.

Based on other people's experience and form what I've read, the WS70 will make a much stronger first impression in all winter conditions - but the degradation from season to season will probably be much greater than the Michelin's. In addition to wearing better, the Michelins will feel more like an all season tire in dry & rainy conditions.

For the cars you mentioned, which are not particularly challenging to to drive in the winter, I would consider shopping around for something a little less pricey.

The Altimax is one possibility. I also highly recommend the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 - I ran one for two winters on a Saturn Coupe then gave to my sister for her Civic which she used the past four winters - they handled Toronto & Niagara conditions extremely well, wear is slow & even and for cars of this type, there is really no dry weather performance drop off compared to low & midrange all-seasons.

Originally Posted By: Darris
Based on other people's experience and form what I've read, the WS70 will make a much stronger first impression in all winter conditions - but the degradation from season to season will probably be much greater than the Michelin's. In addition to wearing better, the Michelins will feel more like an all season tire in dry & rainy conditions.

I've run both Blizzaks and Xi3's, and I have to say the Michelins win on performance and amazing treadwear, a 40,000 mile warranty on a snow tire, unheard of before now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back