Toyota 4-cyl with head gasket problems - common

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but when car loose water problem is already there.This is not normal HG issue from age or use.This is engine design flaw and manufacturer did address problem modifying engines later.So there is nothing you could do when problem starts.My friend did buy Toyota for its reliability and got nothing but troubles.I'm not bashing Toyota there was other high tec diesels with problems like VAG 2.0 tdi (injectors) and Ford Puma 2.2 diesel that burned a hole thru piston on my van at 100k.:(leaky injector).

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Yes but ....
...when car lose water problem is already there.This is not normal HG issue from age or use.This is engine design flaw and manufacturer did address problem modifying engines later.So there is nothing you could do when problem starts.

The loss of water can be corrected with new bolt inserts and bolts and HC...before the head warps and needs to be ENTIRELY replaced...replacing the head is 3-5x the cost of the repair.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Yes but ....
...when car lose water problem is already there.This is not normal HG issue from age or use.This is engine design flaw and manufacturer did address problem modifying engines later.So there is nothing you could do when problem starts.

The loss of water can be corrected with new bolt inserts and bolts and HC...before the head warps and needs to be ENTIRELY replaced...replacing the head is 3-5x the cost of the repair.

I thought that if a cylinder head developed warp, the surface could be machined flat, and sometimes the cam caps would have to be treated with a hone.

I was only used to reading about OEM cylinder head replacement when there was a crack, a timing belt failure, or a foreign object getting sucked into the intake manifold. People replace OE heads with performance or redesigned heads, but that is usually a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back