Juke timing chain issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Crazy the # of vehicles with timing chain issues. It almost has me considering a belted car.

Then you are guaranteed to have it break unless you spend $1000 every 5 years on changing a belt.

Not exactly. Most belts tend to exceed the OEM schedule. In a non-interference engine, it is cheaper to wait for the belt to snap, then get towed in, versus replacing the belt when you are supposed to.

As for the price of t-belt replacement, usually it costs far less than $1000, but typically only if the engine is an inline engine with a decent amount of accessible space.

5 years is also a rather pessimistic number, but it makes for a good story I guess if you want to build a case against it. Most mainline manufacturers recommend a change every 100,000 miles or so. Some include a time interval as well; Honda figures 15,000 miles/year, and their timing belt change interval is 105,000 miles or every 7 years. An independent shop can do the job for $500-600. You can do it yourself for half of that.

And as this thread correctly points out, a timing chain is not a guarantee of reliability. In general, timing chain systems are designed well. But they aren't always...

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Timing chain ain't real timing chain unless its a cam-in-block pushrod engine. A belt might be suited for some of these apps.

What
fXRtyH9.jpg

The
iozmRB3.jpg

[censored]
vySShy6.jpg

?

Aside from the middle picture, the other two look like motorcycle engines. Considering how highly strung these engines are and the RPM range they operate in, I would consider your post a compliment to timing chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back