Nissan paints the inside of oil pans

Status
Not open for further replies.
At an engine assembly plant in the UK is was told that painting the inside of the pan happened because they painted the outside. They are dipped and it helps to guarantee the engine is assembled "clean". An unpainted pan it was said is more likely to introduce small particles into the engine. I was told that being clean is really important. If you got caught touching the parts, fixtures or tools without gloves you were gone. Same with keeping "booties" over your shoes or walking into or outside your work area without changing.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Quick--someone better let the auto manufacturers know about all of the money they're wasting and failed engines they're about to have from failing paint on oil pans!

Seriously, where do people get this stuff?

Well now! Grab another beer because this will make your head spin: I had an '01 Ranger where the bottom inside of the door was not painted body color, just the primer / rust preventative coating (yellowish / tan as I recall - same stuff they sprayed underneath the truck). You can bet that this clever tactic cost savings added up, though of course it was visible if you looked and it screamed "cheap".

Originally Posted By: punisher
I know on our track engines we would sand/clean up the engine interior, then paint valleys with "Glyptal" to seal the casting, and aid drainback. I have seen oil pan interiors, windage trays, and crankcases as well painted after being smoothed out. Don't know what exactly they are trying to do on a stock engine, unless there is some funky oil control action going on there. Hard to imagine in a low cost stock engine though.

I knew an old drag racer who talked about using Glyptal for oil drainback.

I just plugged the word into Google images and found about as many painted engine interiors as you'd want to see. It actually looks kinda pretty.

Why are they not made out of aluminum? Seems like it would be better just based on heat.....faster to warm and faster to cool.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Why are they not made out of aluminum? Seems like it would be better just based on heat.....faster to warm and faster to cool.

Some engines utilize an aluminum pan as additional structural reinforcement as well as for cooling, at least on the older iron blocks. You never used a pan gasket on them, you just applied a thin layer of sealant and torqued them right down.
To the original topic, I don't think I've ever seen a stamped steel engine oil pan that wasn't enameled, or just enameled on one side. The whole thing is usually done. Transmission oil pans OTOH, esp. on American vehicles are commonly unfinished.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted By: punisher
I know on our track engines we would sand/clean up the engine interior, then paint valleys with "Glyptal" to seal the casting, and aid drainback. I have seen oil pan interiors, windage trays, and crankcases as well painted after being smoothed out. Don't know what exactly they are trying to do on a stock engine, unless there is some funky oil control action going on there. Hard to imagine in a low cost stock engine though.

I knew an old drag racer who talked about using Glyptal for oil drainback.

I just plugged the word into Google images and found about as many painted engine interiors as you'd want to see. It actually looks kinda pretty.

I am buying some for when I build the 5.0 in my 95. Going to be spending a lot of time with a Dremel smoothing out all the oil drain back holes.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My Aerostar oil pan rotted from the outside in. IMO aluminum would be a much better choice for an oil pan, and it can be painted too. Add another few $$ to the price of the vehicle and call it a day.

I wish GM painted the outside on my Trackers oil pan too... Or atleast cheap out on a gasket or seal somewhere above the oil pan so a small leak would've rust proofed it...

The pan on my 95 f150 is coated on the inside, it's more like powdercoat than paint though. Very thick. It was cracking because the engine had been overheated years ago.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I wish GM painted the outside on my Trackers oil pan too... Or atleast cheap out on a gasket or seal somewhere above the oil pan so a small leak would've rust proofed it...

One....GM didnt build anything for that unit. Its a suzuki.

Two... it should be painted. My earlier models are!

Only one vehicle even here with a steel pan anymore! It's my daughter's Mazda/Ranger.

Every other car we own including fleet trucks are aluminum...

Sure, there are paited oil pans, but do some of the plain oil pans get a surface treatment to prevent rust? Just think of how a galvanized garbage can looks like bare metal, yet it doesn't rust.

There is another reason for using a cast aluminum oil pan. It can be used to stiffen the engine block. As I remember reading, GM used them on the Ecotec 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 as well as their LS based engines.

Can't say whether they OEMS have rocks in their heads or not with painted (on the inside) oil pans...not sure that I have one.

Nissan is painted on the outside (don't know the inside), Diff cover is painted outside, not on inside. Caprice has an alloy sump, plain looking steel tranny pan (steel in and out).

Was always a big fan of painting in the blueprinting books, the polishing and motor (electric motor) enamel on the drain paths.

Until I saw what looked like plastic sand in a turbine oil filter...then I lost faith in paint (Once the paint has gone, and hot oil soaked there for a year or so, you are never going to get paint back on)

My Subaru has a painted steel oil pan, and the OEM drain plug actually had its innermost threads painted too! That is, the bolt head is painted, the end inside the pan is painted, but the bolt threads in the middle are not. They must stamp the pans, put the plugs in, and then dip them.

All my mopars have painted oil pans, both engines and trannies.. It's a very tough coating. It appears to be backed on. I never thought about it. Just assumed it was normal.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back