First oil change in new(to me) 2011 BMW X3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2011 X3 2.8i w/N52 engine was bought about a year ago from CarMax with about 47K on the odometer. As of today, it was slightly over 51K, and the iDrive OCI displayed about 9,000 miles of oil life left. I do not know what oil was used in it prior to me acquiring it, how long it has been in there, or if the oil change was done by a BMW dealer, by CarMax or some quick lube. It has driven fine, the engine runs smoothly, and I do not notice any unusual engine noise.

I bought 7-quarts of Castrol Edge 5w-40. It has SN, ACEA A3, and BMW LL-01 so it seems GTG for this application. The manual recommends xw-30 or xw-40 for this vehicle, and with the warm climate here, the 5w-40 seems fine.

aafacj.jpg

2isebe1.jpg

For a filter, I acquired three kinds, but I decided to go with the Mann HU816x. The Purolator appears identical to the Mann, and is also made in Germany. The Wix is of a different design, and is made in Poland. Both the Mann and Purolator have the same large black gasket, and small green O-ring, while both are black in the Wix kit.

4rytu9.jpg

The old oil was quite dirty, and it had quite a bit of fuel odor, but the visible part of the engine through the oil fill cap, the oil cartridge housing, and around the drain plug was not crusty or sludgy at all.

It was interesting to find the used filter was a Carquest filter, made in Poland, and identical to the Wix filter, except for the color of the end caps. It looks in great shape, and there are no waves, holes, or tears in the filter media. All of the pleats are in perfect condition.

ea11jb.jpg

xkrgac.jpg

2vtvex5.jpg

Everything went back together well, and the Mann filter snapped right on. Upon start up, there was no harsh engine noises, and no leaks or drips were spotted after 10 minutes of running. I also added a 1/3 of a bottle of LM MoS2. It is a better feeling knowing what is in the engine now compared to the mystery oil that was there when I bought it.
grin.gif

without trying to, or realizing it, you just discovered that Mann owns Purolator(any US made Mann filters are made by Purolator), and WIX makes carquest (and Napa) filters.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
without trying to, or realizing it, you just discovered that Mann owns Purolator(any US made Mann filters are made by Purolator), and WIX makes carquest (and Napa) filters.

I noticed that today when I stopped at Napa to buy the bottle of MoS2. The Napa filters were the same Polish filter that I saw in the Wix box I bought at O'rielly. Its interesting to compare filters side-by-side.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
welcome2.gif

And good choice with the Mann filter.

Thanks!

I think I will stick with the Mann filters with this car. Rock Auto has them for the cheapest I've seen at $7.41, while Amazon has them for $9.14 right now with Prime shipping. Napa has them for about $11, and that is what the Purolator version is going for at Pep-boys.

My Mother has a 2012 X5 3.5L w/ the N55 engine, and I am considering picking up a F10 535i soon, which also has the N55. Since the N55 also uses the Mann HU816x, I could possibly have up to 3 vehicles I will be servicing that will all use the same filter. This would be a good filter to buy a bunch and keep them on hand.

Carmax definitely changed the oil - it is part of their inspection process.

Most of the cars on their lot had Carquest Red filters on them.

Keep an eye on the AAP sales, they have run edge bogo before. I ran the 5w-40 for a cycle in the Boxster and it seemed fine. I scooped up a ten quarts the last spring when they did bogo, hard to pass up at $4.50 a quart. Hopefully it will come around again soon. I will probably go for the 0w-40 now that it is available, though.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
I scooped up a ten quarts the last spring when they did bogo, hard to pass up at $4.50 a quart. Hopefully it will come around again soon. I will probably go for the 0w-40 now that it is available, though.

Or you can just buy it for $5/qt at Walmart, every day price.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
I scooped up a ten quarts the last spring when they did bogo, hard to pass up at $4.50 a quart. Hopefully it will come around again soon. I will probably go for the 0w-40 now that it is available, though.

Or you can just buy it for $5/qt at Walmart, every day price.

I've never seen 0w-40 or 5w-40 at my walmart. Maybe I could order it shipped to store. At the time, I could only get M1 0W-40 by the quart (~$8) at my walmart so $4.50 for a quart of A40 approved oil seemed like a good deal. Now I can get the M1 0w-40 5qt jugs for $25.xx.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: FoothillsM5
I also added a 1/3 of a bottle of LM MoS2.

What are you trying to fix?

Its just a precaution. This is my first used vehicle, and not knowing how well it was cared for, or the driving conditions it was operated under, made me feel a little MoS2 might help with any unseen wear inside the engine. Since this is the wife's car, it will also mostly see short trips. I usually drive us around in my M5 when we go on lengthier trips.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Carmax definitely changed the oil - it is part of their inspection process.

Most of the cars on their lot had Carquest Red filters on them.

Do you know if CarMax uses OEM specified oil types or weights, or do they just keep a few bulk weights in dino and synthetic and fill everything with that?

This Wix filter is made by Polish company Filtron,a subsidiary of Wix.Used them few times,decent quality filters and cheap.

welcome2.gif
I used to run Castrol Syntec 5w40 and 0w30 in my 328i many times.
Check out the new 0w40 Edge. I think this oil will be the standard euro oil
for Castrol.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
welcome2.gif
I used to run Castrol Syntec 5w40 and 0w30 in my 328i many times.
Check out the new 0w40 Edge. I think this oil will be the standard euro oil
for Castrol.

I considered using the new Edge 0w-40 or M1 0w-40, and I probably will use one of those on my next oil change. I have had good experiences in 2 other BMWs with 5w-40. My old 2002 E39 530i, and my Mother's old 2001 E53 X5. After warranty, both got filled with Liqui-Moly Synthoil 5w-40 at every oil service, and they ran great on it. Both were given to other family members and they are still running fine today.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back