STP Multi Purpose Motor Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than many of the other questions regarding this, as well as Seafoam, this question is not about a comparison... I want to know, what exactly would happen to an engine if this stuff were poured into the crankcase and left in for too long? As an engine flush, it says something like "idle for 10/15 minutes and drain oil" - so what if someone poured the whole can in and drove around, not draining the oil - what would/could happen?

If it is one of those very thin flushes, it could lower the oil viscosity and increase wear if left in too long.

If added to a 5 quart sump the solvents would flash off very quickly, I'd say within an hour or so.
Having used that stuff before I can say from experience that driving an hour on the highway then checking the oil I could no longer smell the solvent component in the oil.
I poured it into 5 litres of oil though. I cannot say for certain what would occur in a smaller sump.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Rather than many of the other questions regarding this, as well as Seafoam, this question is not about a comparison... I want to know, what exactly would happen to an engine if this stuff were poured into the crankcase and left in for too long? As an engine flush, it says something like "idle for 10/15 minutes and drain oil" - so what if someone poured the whole can in and drove around, not draining the oil - what would/could happen?

Here's something many people forget:

The solvents are mixed with a "top oil," a very thin naphthenic oil or parafinnic oil of about 2.0 cSt@100C (water is 0.96cSSt@100C) so even if the solvents flash off, this means the thin top oil can still reduce the oils viscosity.

Engines flushes are to be used "at idle" for about 15 minutes and then removed for a good reason.

Last edited:
Wow, that's actually a surprisingly boring (which is good) answer. If it flashes off quickly, even leaving a little of that thin oil which lowers the oils viscosity, that still ain't near as bad as what I've heard about what Seafoam could/would do.

Do any of you think Seafoam in the same scenario could produce worse results?

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Wow, that's actually a surprisingly boring (which is good) answer. If it flashes off quickly, even leaving a little of that thin oil which lowers the oils viscosity, that still ain't near as bad as what I've heard about what Seafoam could/would do.

Do any of you think Seafoam in the same scenario could produce worse results?

Seafoam uses alcohol instead of kerosene(petroleum distillates) so the end result is the same. The alcohol flashes off very quickly and is sucked into the intake via the PCV valve.
Molecule is right that the thin oil will be left behind thereby thinning the sump load.
How much thinner will depend on sump size of course. When using these type products if I add it at the beginning of the oci I use 1 grade thicker oil to compensate.
If using at the end of the interval I don't suggest driving the vehicle since the oil will either be fuel diluted and already thin,or will have thickened but because it's unknown how much it's better safe than sorry.

I've used the stp stuff as a top end clean,thru a vacuum line,and I've used seafoam and mmo in the same fashion.
I have also used the same 3 in the sumps in the engines crankcase and never had a problem. Seafoam solved lifter tick on an old caravan I had.
Just use your head when using these products. Don't clean an already clean engine,and don't overdo it either.
I've never had an engine go to the graveyard because I used a solvent flush type product however I don't go crazy with the stuff either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back