Michelin Premier A/S VS Continental Ecoplus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelin has discontinued the MXV4's currently on my Accord in favor of the new "Premier". The mxv4's currently have 65,000 miles on them and are wearing evenly on all 4 tires with a good amount (~6-7/13's) of tread left. However, they are beginning to crack on the outer edges and I'm unsure whether the tread will get me through another Polar Vortex. The Continental PureContact with Ecoplus technology get very positive reviews on Tirerack at roughly 2/3 the cost of the Premier's. The rep at the tire shop I've gone to for several years and from whom I purchased the Michelin's says the Continentals will be a step down.

Just to be clear, I've been very happy with the Michelin's but am wavering on the higher cost.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Those Ecoplus Contis have been great on the Corolla. Long wear, smooth, quiet ride, excellent grip. I wouldn't call them a step down, I would call the Michelins less value for the $$

Keep in mind that the Premier A/S only starts out with 8.5/32 as opposed to the normal 10/32. This shouldn't be a problem, but some people may object to the lesser depth.

I don't have Any recommendations but would appreciate hearing how this plays out. I am 2 months out from re-tiring my 13 Accord and am considering same tires.

Originally Posted By: oily boyd
I don't have Any recommendations but would appreciate hearing how this plays out. I am 2 months out from re-tiring my 13 Accord and am considering same tires.

Continental Extreme contact DWS?
I have them on Tiguan, really good tires.

Since the Premier A/S is nearly brand new, you won't have any long-term reviews. It will be a gamble. I'm sure it's an "OK" tire, but with less tread depth to start with, I'd pick another. Once a tire gets down to ~5/32nds, it's near worthless in anything but dry pavement.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I went through a set on my WRX. OK but I'm not sure if it was really a competent performance tire in comparison to its competition. I see them everywhere though; it's easy to spot a car with them. They had a tendency to squeal on a hard corner. The tires before and after were much grippier. I also would prefer a rim guard. I know they're best in class for light snow performance, but I never got a chance to try them out in snow.

I'm also not sure that's going to be a comparable tire when the OP is looking at extremely low-wearing touring tires. It might also help to know the exact size. The sig didn't tell me enough, as the Accord has different sizes for different trim levels.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I went through a set on my WRX. OK but I'm not sure if it was really a competent performance tire in comparison to its competition. I see them everywhere though; it's easy to spot a car with them. They had a tendency to squeal on a hard corner. The tires before and after were much grippier. I also would prefer a rim guard. I know they're best in class for light snow performance, but I never got a chance to try them out in snow.

I'm also not sure that's going to be a comparable tire when the OP is looking at extremely low-wearing touring tires. It might also help to know the exact size. The sig didn't tell me enough, as the Accord has different sizes for different trim levels.

I do not see that tire as appropriate for WRX. Just my opinion.
Of course they have tendency to squeal on corner. That is why I have them on Tiguan. For my CC I have Michelin Super Sport. I like them because they are very comfortable, good wet capabilities. I did not buy them to use them in snow, though some people say they are OK on very light snow. However, here in CO it is necessary to have winter tire for mountains.
I suggested DWS because it seems that OP wants touring tire, not tire appropriate for WRX or similar car. That tire has UTOG 540, and from what I saw, they will last at least 50K.

I do not see that tire as appropriate for WRX. Just my opinion.
Of course they have tendency to squeal on corner. That is why I have them on Tiguan. For my CC I have Michelin Super Sport. I like them because they are very comfortable, good wet capabilities. I did not buy them to use them in snow, though some people say they are OK on very light snow. However, here in CO it is necessary to have winter tire for mountains.
I suggested DWS because it seems that OP wants touring tire, not tire appropriate for WRX or similar car. That tire has UTOG 540, and from what I saw, they will last at least 50K.

Continental markets the DWS as an ultra high-performance all-season that should be competitive with the Potenza RE970AS or Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Here's the copy they use:

Quote:
http://www.continentaltire.com/www/tires...act_dws_en.html

Exceptional Ultra-High Performance All-Season tire tuned for drivers seeking extreme grip in Dry, Wet and Snow conditions with superior tread life and comfort.

While they were quite good in wet conditions (never got to try them out in snow) I take exception to their categorization of dry grip being "extreme". The RE960AS set I had before them had considerably better dry grip and the Pilot Sport A/S 3 just blows both of them away. I've actually done some things that in hindsight I shouldn't have done, but where I'm sure I would have lost control with the Contis.

And I got them to last almost 45K miles. They would have lasted longer (maybe 25K more miles down to the indicators) except for the same inside shoulder wear issue I've had since I got my car.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and the vast majority of my driving is around here or maybe the Central Valley. Snow here (enough to be concerned about driving conditions ) is considered a once in a generation event and might be over with in a day. Now I may try taking my car to Tahoe or Yosemite in the winter. I've done that before, including on some questionably labeled "all-season" tires like the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. That was a disaster in the snow, but I guess I'm still alive. I do have a set of SCC Super Z6 cables, so I guess I have a backup plan if the Michelins suck in the snow.

Well, I suppose to be more to the point. I do not consider ANY "All-Season" tire as high-performance, or something I would personally put on WRX (if you want to get maximum out of that car).
Michelin A/S 3rd generation is more true summer tire then AS tire, though side wall is not structured as high-performance summer tire.
When I was buying DWS, I knew I was buying compromise, not tire worthy summer high-performance or winter performance.
Considering where you live (I lived in San Diego, and now Bay area) I would go for WRX with Michelin PSS.

Well, I suppose to be more to the point. I do not consider ANY "All-Season" tire as high-performance, or something I would personally put on WRX (if you want to get maximum out of that car).
Michelin A/S 3rd generation is more true summer tire then AS tire, though side wall is not structured as high-performance summer tire.
When I was buying DWS, I knew I was buying compromise, not tire worthy summer high-performance or winter performance.
Considering where you live (I lived in San Diego, and now Bay area) I would go for WRX with Michelin PSS.

I've got 16" wheels and was only interested in the stock 205/55R16 size. So PSS wasn't an option. I kind of like it because tires don't cost a small fortune in that size, but some of the top end summer tires just don't come in that size. I might have tried an RE760 or ExtremeContact DW, although the A/S 3 seemed to be just about what I needed.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Those Ecoplus Contis have been great on the Corolla. Long wear, smooth, quiet ride, excellent grip. I wouldn't call them a step down, I would call the Michelins less value for the $$

This is the kind of review that has the Ecoplus toward the top of my list. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Keep in mind that the Premier A/S only starts out with 8.5/32 as opposed to the normal 10/32. This shouldn't be a problem, but some people may object to the lesser depth.

I did not know this; yet another thing to factor into the decision.

What is OEM on your Accord, and how many miles on them.

205/60-16. Changed my Sig to be more specific.

Am looking for a balance of handling, economy, and longevity. Quality overrides price.

I've got 16" wheels and was only interested in the stock 205/55R16 size. So PSS wasn't an option. I kind of like it because tires don't cost a small fortune in that size, but some of the top end summer tires just don't come in that size. I might have tried an RE760 or ExtremeContact DW, although the A/S 3 seemed to be just about what I needed.

205/55 R16 is standard tire in Europe on cars like Golf, Skoda Octavia, Renault etc.
I had in Europe on Skoda Octavia Continental SportContact 3. Superb high-performance tire. Reaches temperature very fast (much faster then Bridgestone Potenza I had on car prior to that one). Now, Continental sell SportContact 5, and I heard that it is on par with PSS.
It is better then DW (DW is cheaper tire generally) and it is made for cars like WRX.

205/55 R16 is standard tire in Europe on cars like Golf, Skoda Octavia, Renault etc.
I had in Europe on Skoda Octavia Continental SportContact 3. Superb high-performance tire. Reaches temperature very fast (much faster then Bridgestone Potenza I had on car prior to that one). Now, Continental sell SportContact 5, and I heard that it is on par with PSS.
It is better then DW (DW is cheaper tire generally) and it is made for cars like WRX.

None of those you mentioned are available in the US in my size. They start at 17" and 18" sizes. If I needed a tire in at least 17" I'd probably be looking at the PSS first.

I'd like to add my real life experiences with the tires mentioned in the original post. I've been using the Pure Contact tires for 15000 miles on my Suzuki and have just purchased the Michelin Premier A/S for my Subaru.

The Continental Pure Contact has been a great tire. It shows very little wear, rides smooth and quiet and handles very well.

I have driven only 1000 miles on the Premier A/S so I can't comment on snow traction but what I can say is that they are just a little smoother and quieter than the Pure Contacts.
The Michelin steering response is not as quick as the Pure Contacts and when pressed hard in a corner they don't have the same grip.

The Continental Pure Contacts are more of a performance tire and the Michelin Premier A/S is more of a luxury tire.
That's my seat of the pants review.

Why not save some $$ and turn those michelins in for warranty and get a tread depth rated discount on a new set?

I have had two sets of DWS' and one set of RE970AS on a VW TDI Sportwagen. While they both are decent, the one set of Pilot A/S that I did have on the car was far superior to either of the aforementioned sets.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I have had two sets of DWS' and one set of RE970AS on a VW TDI Sportwagen. While they both are decent, the one set of Pilot A/S that I did have on the car was far superior to either of the aforementioned sets.

That is because they are more oriented toward performance, less toward compromise, especially if you compare Pilot A/S and DWS.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Why not save some $$ and turn those Michelins in for warranty and get a tread depth rated discount on a new set?

I hope badtlc will realize I am not picking on him, but he said something that many people don't realize is not true - that tire warranties allow you to turn in otherwise good tires and receive some sort of discount on the next set.

Tire warranties only apply if there is something wrong with the tire itself. Things that don't apply are normal wear (other than not reaching the mileage), irregular wear, punctures and other road damage (unless there is a road hazard provision), vibration (other than when the tires are first applied), and age cracking beyond a certain timeframe.

Many tire dealers will make a concession to make a sale - and sometimes that means giving what appears to be a "warranty", but what he is really doing is working with his margins and his ability to sell used tires. Think "buying a new car with a trade-in" and you'll be close- remembering that tires have a 6 to 10 year lifespan.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Many tire dealers will make a concession to make a sale - and sometimes that means giving what appears to be a "warranty", but what he is really doing is working with his margins and his ability to sell used tires. Think "buying a new car with a trade-in" and you'll be close- remembering that tires have a 6 to 10 year lifespan.

As an example of this, I once had a set of Michelin Pilot XGT H4s on a Cadillac Seville. With around 4/32" of tread on the tires (closer to 3/32" on the outer tread ribs), I caught a sidewall puncture in one of them. I think they had 40,000 miles of the 50,000 rated treadwear warranty. I carried the car back to Sears, where I bought the tires, and said that I wanted to buy a new set, and even though the tires weren't technically down to the wear bars, it's clear that they weren't going to get there. They prorated them for the 10,000 miles as if they were at the wear bars already. Whether that prorate went through Michelin or if Sears kept that in-house, I don't know. But I did buy another set of those tires and Sears took care of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back