correct amount of oil filled. but show overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Did a routine oil change on my mazda 6 1.8 mzr today. I drove the car for 20 min so the oil was good and hot. I drained the oil for about 15 min till there where no dripping. I used an Mazda oem oil filter. and I filled it with precisely 4.3 litre. The manual says seevicefill is 4.3 litre and dryfill is 4.6. It was dead on the maxline

Now the dipstick shows 4-5 mm above the maxline. After sitting 2 hours after I got home, the oil and engine is still warm but not hot.

Anybody here experienced that? And do people think it will cause any damage? I think maybe the amount of overfill is 100-150 mm.

There was no bobbles in the oil when I checked it. And noticed no smoke when driving home.

How come it,s overfilled when I filled the correct 4.3 litre.?

Thanks
Søren

Last edited:
4-5 mm isn't a big deal, don't worry about it.

My car calls for 3.8 quarts but I always just pour 4 in.

On my Duratec Focus (similar to the MZR Mazda), it reads overfull on the first pull. I have to wipe it off, then put it back in and it is accurate.

I have mine overfilled by 1/2 quart and it reads nearly full on the dipstick on the second pull. 5 quarts and it only recommends 4.5.

The overfill reading is also when the dipstick have bin wiped. Unfortunately

4mm (1/6" to us Americans) is just too little to ever worry about...that could be within the measurable accepted error in the construction of the dipstick itself!

Last edited:
There will always be something left in the sump unless you drain it overnight or take the engine apart.

Usually when we do any teardown on a 6.0 it takes 17-18 quarts to fill it back up, when on a regular OCI it takes 15-16 quarts.

That is nothing to worry about. However next time you change your oil allow a longer drain time. I found 15 minutes is not long enough. It works for a shop where lift time is important, even 15 minutes is long for them. For a DIY person time is on your side, try letting the oil drain longer.

Let it drain for at least a couple beers

beer3.gif

Last edited:
I let it drain at least 30mins with filter off. On any new to me or new car/truck I always leave it 1qt low on purpose, to see where it shows on dipstick. Then add 1qt and see where it shows full. I mark the dipstick with a file mark to show full and 1qt low. I haven't seen that many dipsticks that are on the spot correct, but with my method I know where 1qt low and full are on the dipstick's!

Last edited:
Ford changed the oil capacity for my model from 5 litres (quarts) to 5.5, without making any changes to the sump or dipstick from the previous model!
This means when I fill up with 5.5 litres it shows I'm over filled

This was to compensate for the new 15k OCI, but surely they could have just stamped the fill level another 5 mil up this stick haha

Don't worry about it unless it's 1-1.5L or more overfilled

My car left the factory with a dump dipstick design. It called for 5.4 quarts, but the dipstick would indicate the engine was overfilled when using 5 quarts. When I used 4.5 quarts of oil, the dipstick finally read the proper level.

That's why I don't trust dipstick markings. Factory says 5.4qts, that's what you should put in. Mark where full is and call it a day.

The point I originally was making when I posted about the dipstick variable was that an extra few ounces in a sump holding a gallon or more is a waste of worry...

Every time I do an oil change on my Integra, it usually shows about .25 quarts overfilled on the dipstick even though I put in the correct 4 quarts that the owner's manual calls for. I haven't worried about it. The dipstick on the Firebird seems to be more accurate.

Everyone is wasting time, gas and effort if they are purposely warming up their oil to do an oil change.
I always do my oil changes cold and i get more oil out than i do on a hot oil change. I routinely get about 1/4 quart more oil out doing cold oil changes.

And its unpleasant to work under a smothering hot car...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back