Who knows about 350 TBI engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, quick question. I found what I believe could be a good deal on Craigslist, if I can get the motor figured out. Its a 1995 Silverado with the 350 TBI and auto trans. 139K and almost no rust. Asking price is $2700. The owner says that the motor burns a small amount of oil and runs rough. No noise, just rough. Any ideas? I haven't seen it yet but I plan to in a day or so, unless the general consensus is the motor is shot or something. TIA!!

Look for codes, but a proper tune (plugs, wires, filters) is in order - also, my TB on my 350 - 2 6-er used to come loose all the time causing a vacuum leak. IIRC U can check fuel pressure on these with a Schrader connection? I would warm it and check for combustion gasses in the coolant b4 buying.

I just got rid or one with many more miles than that didn't use any oil.Probably valve seals but check the pvc and service the trans when you get it.

I'd skip it. I sold my 1996 Silverado in November for $2,600 with the 350 Vortec and it ran beautifully at 159k

Check for missing base gasket under TBI and IAC valve cleaning wouldn't hurt , possible valve stem seals are the oil loss issue, there was a bulletin from GM many moons ago about them getting old and brittle and causing smoke at start up , but like ARCO stated... do a compression check to be sure. Stay with OEM/AC Delco plugs wires,cap and rotor. Very basic design simple to work on. OBD I - you can pull codes with a paper clip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
a common problem in those was the intake manifold gasket getting sucked into the intake port. causes a vacuum leak(rough running) and oil fouling that spark plug.

If thats the case would it be worth buying and fixing?

I've heard the TBI heads cracked easily. Vortec heads would be an upgrade. IIRC edelbrock makes a TBI manifold for vortec heads.

I had a TBI iron duke Fiero that was a pos. Ymmv.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I've heard the TBI heads cracked easily. Vortec heads would be an upgrade. IIRC edelbrock makes a TBI manifold for vortec heads.

How does a 4 cylinder fiero compare to a tbi 350?
Or did you just feel the need to vent about a car that is the equivalent to a pinto and a gremlin.

And I've seen and driven countless 350 equipped cars and trucks,many of them tbi equipped,with insane mileage and I've never even so much as heard of a cracked head on one,unless of course you drive them without coolant.

solid, timeless engine. piece of cake to work on. parts are everywhere. I'd be more concerned about the transmission behind it. Not because they have any dark blemishes, but just because they are more costly to repair than the engine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: asand1

How does a 4 cylinder fiero compare to a tbi 350?
Or did you just feel the need to vent about a car that is the equivalent to a pinto and a gremlin.

Because they both are GM THROTTLE BODY INJECTION. Is that not comparible enough? 1 injector vs two injector is the only difference from an engine management aspect. Low psi injection and injection at the TB still means fuel separation and barely better than a carburetor. Poor mileage and less than stellar driveability.

I've never seen a cracked head, just something I read about when considering a TBI 383 for my GMC back in the day.

Ya I was going to say the same thing the only difference between engines was injector quantity and size. The system is still the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back