Adding moly to firearms lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most oils for firearms seem to be strait mineral oil. It seems to me it would be beneficial to possibly add some moly to it?

I'm new to firearms. The gun oil and care market is more confused than even the automotive market. It would seem beneficial to have some form of anti wear additive in the oil.

Just pick something out that looks good and use it. You can use motor oil if you want. It really doesn't matter very much.

You can buy small containers of assembly lube containing high concentration MoS2. I use a light smear on high load areas like locking lugs and frame rails. Be careful, the stuff will stain fabrics black.

Used to know a retired marine that used Mobil 1 15w50 racing oil for gun lube. He probably picked that idea (using motor oil) up in Nam since I have read about marines using diesel oil as gun lube back in the dark days before any sort of maintenance supplies were issued for the early M16's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Used to know a retired marine that used Mobil 1 15w50 racing oil for gun lube. He probably picked that idea (using motor oil) up in Nam since I have read about marines using diesel oil as gun lube back in the dark days before any sort of maintenance supplies were issued for the early M16's.

hose em down with gasoline or fuel oil to clean them and pull the dipstick out of the nearest engine and use it as an oil applicator, works quick and easy. I've seen guys do this in the field dove hunting when you might shoot 4-500 rounds in a long day and a few goose hunters whose guns see a lot of dust/dirt during the day.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
Most oils for firearms seem to be strait mineral oil. It seems to me it would be beneficial to possibly add some moly to it?

Quality gun oils will be much more than just mineral oil. Moly is dirty and will stain just about anything.

If you can't find a gun oil you like, use a lite motor oil.

ALOHA jkhawaii!!! IMO, moly is a waste of time. You will not normally be able to keep it in suspension, and it's main use is as a boundary (read dry) lubricant for when an oil film is not present to keep moving parts separate. Weapons used by people don't have sufficent loads imposed on moving parts to require something with as much film strength as MoS2. If you need to lube a pistol slide, either Frog lube or any good #1 or #2 grease in SMALL quantities will work fine. If you need a gun oil, nothing finer than Rand CLP. If you can't or don't want that, then ATF will be a good second choice.

If there was a sufficient oil boundary layer on the rails the rails would not wear, like a bearing does not really wear in a engine due to the oil keeping the parts from touching during operation. I'm thinking I need a grease on the slide. I'm going to try some Mil-Comm/NRA grease.

Frog lube is a wintergreen smelling paste that is sold as a CLP (Cleaner Lubricant Protectant). I use it on the slides and springs of a pistol. The smell is great, and it cleans up easily with no stains.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
If there was a sufficient oil boundary layer on the rails the rails would not wear, like a bearing does not really wear in a engine due to the oil keeping the parts from touching during operation. I'm thinking I need a grease on the slide. I'm going to try some Mil-Comm/NRA grease.

Spinning bearings at thousands of revolutions a minute, and sliding parts on a gun are very different things with regard to lubrication. Hydrodynamic vs. boundary regime. And they require different types of lubricants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back