EBay seller can't receive my payment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've purchased a neat vintage doctor's bag on eBay; I intend to use it as a backup bag for the car, to hold my rain jacket, hand cleaner, flashlight, etc. Very inexpensive, but looks quite nice.

I sent my payment via PayPal on Friday afternoon. My account registers it, but says it's unclaimed; and that's what the seller tells me, that he can't receive the payment. He says he's called PayPal, and they don't know why -- and that he's having trouble with another buyer as well.

This is the first time I've ever had trouble with PayPal, or with a transaction. What should I do? Cancel the original payment and do another, this time linked to my bank account? (I'd rather not do that.) Cancel and repeat the credit card transaction?

I had the same thing happen to me recently. I bought a bottle of Nexxus conditioner on Ebay. Seller refunded my credit card (I ALWAYS pay via credit card through Paypal),saying she couldn't claim the payment,that something was wrong on her end. I was like,um,ok,and bought the same item on an online discount beauty supply.

Is the seller you're trying to buy from a new Ebayer? Mine was. Looked like I was her very first customer,0 feedback.

Only time that's ever happened with me.

Sounds borderline scammy, and like they're trying to get you to pay twice or go outside the normal channels to avoid fees.

My thoughts: not your problem if he can't use the official payment system. It's on him to work it out with PayPal. If he strings you along, open a case with PayPal/eBay.

Yeah,don't repay the seller with a different method,especially an instant account draft,NEVER do that. If the seller's legit,he can figure out the Paypal thing. And always use a linked credit card when paying with Paypal.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Is the seller you're trying to buy from a new Ebayer? Mine was. Looked like I was her very first customer,0 feedback.

Only time that's ever happened with me.

He/she is new. When I first watch-listed the item, he had 0% feedback. Now he has two transactions, one of which has posted a 100% positive feedback. The other? Mine.

Yes, dparm, "borderline scammy" or "attempting to avoid fees" flickered through my mind too. That's why I'm asking here, as I know many of you are more experienced eBayers. I guess I'll tell him to work it out with PayPal.

That's a trip we both had the very same thing happen to us,both with new sellers with 0 feedback.

That's a trip we both had the very same thing happen to us,both with new sellers with 0 feedback.

Was it someone with the screen name of Rebecrav, in North Carolina???

My seller also emailed me and said I can try to "re-buy" the item,so I responded back with "Why could you not claim my payment. What exactly is going on with your account?",and she never wrote me back. I'll have to look her up when I get home from work tonight. I'm curious if she's still on.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Holy [censored],I think so!! Freakin' crazy!! Look to see if she's still on,selling Nexxus hair care stuff.

The only thing he or she has on eBay now is a pair of Sperry Topsider shoes. No mention I can see of Nexxus or hair care supplies.

I did a member name search on rebecrav,and if it's the same member,they've gone through a ton on name changes,with only adding a letter or so to make the name different. That always raises my suspicions.

My memory is hazy, accepting CC on Paypal might be the issue. Seller might not have opted to accept payments via CC in an effort to avoid the fees. I remember doing this the first couple of times I sold something, but I thought Ebay had put an end and basically required sellers to accept CC payments now.

Quote:
Receiving money – Personal payments:

It's free to receive money from friends or family in the U.S. when they send the money from the PayPal website using only their PayPal balance or their bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

If you receive a personal payment made from a debit card or credit card, the sender has the option to pay the fee or pass it on to you. If you don't want to pay the fee, you can choose not to accept the payment.

If the fee is passed to you, it is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive. For example, if you are sent $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30).

This fee also applies if you click Request Money on the PayPal website and request money from friends and family. The fee applies if your friend or family member pays you using only their PayPal balance or their bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

Source: Paypal Help Center

I did a member name search on rebecrav,and if it's the same member,they've gone through a ton on name changes,with only adding a letter or so to make the name different. That always raises my suspicions.

Son of a . . .! And I passed on a couple of other doctor's bags on eBay because I liked the size and layout of this one.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpce...CKING&m=TCI

The couple times this has happened to me it's because an email address was entered wrong. If its a new seller, they may have typed thee paypal email address wrong into eBay.

If the email is wrong then it's generally trying to send a payment to a paypal account that doesn't exist. Sort of like sending a text to phone number that doesn't exist. It's "unclaimed" because there's no account there to receive it.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Holy [censored],I think so!! Freakin' crazy!! Look to see if she's still on,selling Nexxus hair care stuff.

I looked at the original listing for the Nexxus I'd bought,it wasn't rebecrav,BUT,I've either bid/watched an item by one of the many rebecrav's,and never won or purchased anything. BUT,I had the same experience with my Nexxus seller about not able to claim funds and wanting me to re-buy,which I of course didn't do.

I've given up on paypal and EBAY - sold and bought LOTS of stuff (mostly audio) with a perfect seller rating, but too many flaky buyers and sellers and the older I get the less I can tolerate idiocy.
I've had to "pull teeth" with many to get a deal done. To top it off, a decade ago paypal got really flaky with fake sites and I didn't know what end was up with my account.

Update,

The seller says he has checked his email and it's correct. He says he will send me the bag and I can mail him the payment, a check or money order, I guess. So I should go into PayPal and cancel that payment so it's not hanging there, and we'll see what happens. Still, does that mean eBay won't get their share?

Sounds like he's selling it "under the table",since it's not listed on Ebay for sale anymore,but he wants to sell it to you via cash/check/money order.

I may be wrong,but I'd be careful,and be sure to cover yourself payment-wise.

Sounds like he's selling it "under the table",since it's not listed on Ebay for sale anymore,but he wants to sell it to you via cash/check/money order.

I may be wrong,but I'd be careful,and be sure to cover yourself payment-wise.

Hm. Well, if I have the bag in hand along with an invoice, and send him a money order for the amount due, I'd be clear, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back