Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
This story is real.

I have a lot full of trucks. Last year I found two perfect never used spare tires and decided to use them. Never thought twice about it.

Put one on a van, Bridgestone load range E tire 10 ply rated. It lasted two weeks and blew out badly damaging the entire wheel well and quarter panel.

Cost of repairs was over 300 bucks, AND I had to buy a new tire!

IMO old tires are suitable as a spare only...

Yeah, tires that are loaded near their capacity at high speeds isn't a spot to run questionable tires. Small trailer tires in my case.
Most cars/fwd SUV's have 2-3 times extra tire load capacity than they can carry going up to their GVWR, so blowouts due to age are much less common on those vehicles IME.

Exactly. But no high speeds, just going 45 mph on a smooth road. Just not EVER worth it to us to risk this, I will never be caught dead using outdated tires.

If this had happened at an interstate exit ramp at a high speed it could have been very interesting...

Anyone throwing away tires because they have passed some arbitrary age, send them here! I'll take...

245/60R15
255/60R15
235/70R15 (H or V-rated preferred)
11R22.5G
35x12.50R15
275/40R17
315/35R17
295/75R22.5
275/80R22.5

The Michelin Harmony tires on our 2006 Subaru have somewhere around 90,000 miles on them and have been on 6 years this summer. They still have about 50% tread left and have usually been garaged, but they will get replaced around the end of this summer. The car normally sees straight line highway commutes with little to no city use, hence the high mileage/low treadwear.

In my opinion it's simply not worth the risk of damage or injury to ride around on old tires. I have a responsibility to keep my vehicles safe, not only for me, my wife and any passengers we may have, but for the other motorists with whom we share the road. Since our vehicles all see mostly highway driving a blowout could very well be life-threatening.

The possibility of having an accident and causing an injury just because I tried to eek a little more mileage out of a set of tires that are at their end of life simply isn't worth the risk.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
The Michelin Harmony tires on our 2006 Subaru have somewhere around 90,000 miles on them and have been on 6 years this summer. They still have about 50% tread left and have usually been garaged, but they will get replaced around the end of this summer. The car normally sees straight line highway commutes with little to no city use, hence the high mileage/low treadwear.

Extrapolate these numbers will end with 150-160k miles for the Harmony ? That is long lasting tire.

The car is mostly driven at night. The tires look brand new. It's a 84 Honda Civic with 75 horsepower and is never driven hard or abused in anyway. Before this set of tires the car was driven a lot. It now has 420K miles on it. I got about 200K miles out of the last clutch, that's how carefully the car is driven and it's S. Cal so weather is never a problem. I don't know that it's ever seen freezing weather and never any snow and not much rain.

I won't run on old tires, just not worth it.

I have two things I'll never save money on, tires and brakes. The rest of the vehicle, meh pinch pennies.

Last edited:
I talked to a Michelin rep at the test track where I used to work. He looked at the tires and the dates and said that right now I had a year left but that the tires were fine. He and I both agree that at the end of that time I'm going to get new tires. I really wanted to make sure that running beyond 6 years with tires in pristine condition would be safe. I am going to drill the side walls to make sure that no one else uses then thinking they are almost new.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I talked to a Michelin rep at the test track where I used to work. He looked at the tires and the dates and said that right now I had a year left but that the tires were fine. He and I both agree that at the end of that time I'm going to get new tires. I really wanted to make sure that running beyond 6 years with tires in pristine condition would be safe. I am going to drill the side walls to make sure that no one else uses then thinking they are almost new.

Nice...very thoughtful of you, really...

First, everyone needs to go to the BITOG thread below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3399443/So_THAT%27S_why_there%27s_a_wobble#Post3399443

The tire in that thread does NOT have much in the way of cracking - and yet it has a separation. Lack of cracks does not equal a good tire. Cracks is an indicator of something bad, but the opposite is just not true.

Different parts of the US have different climates - in particular, temperatures - so it's difficult to make a blanket statement that is reasonable for the entire US. 6 years seems to be the age limit for tires in hot states (AZ, TX, CA, NV, and FL), while 10 years is the limit for cold states (MY, WI, MN, ND, and ID) States in between are ...... ah ...... in between.

So, Jack, I think at 10 years in CA, you are living on borrowed time.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
First, everyone needs to go to the BITOG thread below.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3399443/So_THAT%27S_why_there%27s_a_wobble#Post3399443

The tire in that thread does NOT have much in the way of cracking - and yet it has a separation. Lack of cracks does not equal a good tire. Cracks is an indicator of something bad, but the opposite is just not true.

Different parts of the US have different climates - in particular, temperatures - so it's difficult to make a blanket statement that is reasonable for the entire US. 6 years seems to be the age limit for tires in hot states (AZ, TX, CA, NV, and FL), while 10 years is the limit for cold states (MY, WI, MN, ND, and ID) States in between are ...... ah ...... in between.

So, Jack, I think at 10 years in CA, you are living on borrowed time.

But where in California? It's a big state. Some parts have hot desert climates. Where I live it's mild year round. The joke around here is that there is no weather, because the temperature band between winter and summer is so narrow. It gets hotter on average in summer in many of those states you name than it does in my part of California.

Here are the averages for Oakland, California:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USCA0791

And Oakland, Michigan:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/48363

Jay Leno driving a priceless Ferrari on original 1954 tires:
whistle.gif

http://www.nbc.com/jay-lenos-garage/video/1952-ferrari-barchetta/2791373

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
California? It's a big state. Some parts have hot desert climates. Where I live it's mild year round. The joke around here is that there is no weather, because the temperature band between winter and summer is so narrow. It gets hotter on average in summer in many of those states you name than it does in my part of California.

And Oakland, Michigan:

No question that political boundaries don't match up with climatic boundaries. That makes making a regulation covering the age of tires and selling used tires very difficult. Not to mention the political climate! (Did you see what I did there?)

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
California? It's a big state. Some parts have hot desert climates. Where I live it's mild year round. The joke around here is that there is no weather, because the temperature band between winter and summer is so narrow. It gets hotter on average in summer in many of those states you name than it does in my part of California.

And Oakland, Michigan:

No question that political boundaries don't match up with climatic boundaries. That makes making a regulation covering the age of tires and selling used tires very difficult. Not to mention the political climate! (Did you see what I did there?)

Studded tires are legal anywhere in California between certain dates and when the CHP Commissioner determines they should be allowed. Of course the large majority of Californians live in areas where snow/ice is a once in a generation event, but the law stands to cover the areas where it might be needed.

The rules on VOC content in windshield washer fluid varies by county, and sometimes even within a county. The two population centers in El Dorado County are South Lake Tahoe and El Dorado Hills. They're about 80 miles apart. South Lake Tahoe is at about 6000 ft and sees snow every single year. El Dorado Hills is at about 800 ft, is considered part of the Sacramento area, and snow there would be a freak thing. So it's split up depending on where the location is. I don't know how they enforce it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back