Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted By: whip

There are plenty of old Japanese bikes going for high dollars.

True... just price one of these Japanese bikes...

Honda
1)1988 RC30
2)1990 Nr750
3)1994 RC45

Kawasaki 1994 ZX7R

Yamaha 1998 R7

Was the NR 750 the oval piston bike?

The 94 ZX7R is one of those bikes that I'll always have a spot for. I never owned one, but I always loved the look. To me, it was one of the few sport bikes that was instantly identifiable from 100 feet. If I could find an unmolested one, I'd give serious consideration to buying it.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You guys crack me up spouting garbage about how much better your 926meieio model bikes are then Harley's. The only problem is they won't be made long enough to prove any of it. Even the mfgrs don't have enough faith in them to keep them in production.

The Road Glide is a Harley I'd like to have. Since Harley discontinued it, does that mean it's a horrible bike? Should I avoid it?

Originally Posted By: whip

Was the NR 750 the oval piston bike?

The 94 ZX7R is one of those bikes that I'll always have a spot for. I never owned one, but I always loved the look. To me, it was one of the few sport bikes that was instantly identifiable from 100 feet. If I could find an unmolested one, I'd give serious consideration to buying it.

Yes the $65K NR750 sported oval pistons...

gallery_3131_5079_337597.jpg

I'll pass on your thoughts to my riding partner Marv who I call Mr.Kawasaki... he owns a
tricked out ZX7R... check it out http://mestiso.net/zx7r2nv/

Images137.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
When I buy a bike I care the least about resale.

Apparently that's all Bigcahuna cares about...who cares if it rides like a brick, as long as it holds its value...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Apparently that's all Bigcahuna cares about...who cares if it rides like a brick, as long as it holds its value...

What rides like a brick? You never answered my questions about your M109 or the Victory advertisement video on HP.

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Originally Posted By: xl2006
I can't count the times that folks have walked past the Harleys parked out front of the gas station and Made the comment " Harley, the Cadillac of motorcycles" or "Man, nice Harley", or "Man, I wish I had one of those" or Man, I have a Harley at the house" (okay). I have been riding for over 3 decades, and have never heard anyone say anything like that about any other bike. If they did it would go like this, "Man, what is that"

I can't count the times I've parked my 109 next to Harleys (intentionally) and people don't even look at the Harleys...they'll stare and take pictures at the 109 and when they finally walk away, nary a look at the Harleys...

Suzuki M109 is a nice bike. It was their answer to the Yamaha Road Star Warrior. It looks like a Vrod for a reason. You don't see that many of them. I think that's why people look.
Have you had any of the second gear or over heat problems that the M109 is known for?

People look because the 109 is gorgeous...mine has had neither of those problems, and this is the first I've heard of the overheating problem. I'm on a 109 forum all the time and have never heard anyone complain about overheating...and believe me, every problem there's ever been with this bike is talked about a lot on this forum. A few guys have had the 2nd gear issue, but not many...mine has been rock solid...and if the 109 looks like the V-Rod, it looks more like its dad...the V-Rod is puny, while the 109 is big and burly looking...

Last edited:

What rides like a brick? You never answered my questions about your M109 or the Victory advertisement video on HP.

What rides like a brick? Harley baggers. Any of them, pick one....compared to other bikes they're just not impressive...and if you think any of the newer Harleys make just as much power as a Victory, why don't you go line one up with a Vic and see what happens...It'll leave you in the dust!

What rides like a brick? Harley baggers. Any of them, pick one....compared to other bikes they're just not impressive...and if you think any of the newer Harleys make just as much power as a Victory, why don't you go line one up with a Vic and see what happens...It'll leave you in the dust!

Do you need a cup of coffee? Maybe a trip to the bathroom? You ride a crusier that has major problems and [censored] about Harleys. Victorys are nice bikes but that they do not make more HP than others. My Road Star Warrior would leave your M109 or the Victorys looking like they were setting still. I have done that. So? Any of my 600cc sport bikes would do the same. So? You pick an apple to talk about and complain about the orange you never ate. I just rode 500 miles on a Goldwing and a Harley Limited. Both have a nice smooth ride. One handles a lot better two up at slow speeds. It's the Harley. My wife and the Goldwings owners wife both said the Harley had a better ride for them. Wow!!! A report from real people not an advertisement!

No truly HONEST comparison could result in considering a Harley a superior touring bike than a Goldwing. One is a noisy, thrashy, shaky, hot throwback...the other is a smooth, quiet ride.

No not really. I care about parts availability for reasonable pricing. Choice of options. Service that can be obtained in any state without having to hope the shop has seen one of my models before. And knowing that when it comes time to move on to a different model bike, that people will be willing to buy what I'm selling, no matter what year it is. Knowing that parts are available reasonably just about everywhere. Harley's made in the '70's sell today for more then what they sold for new, back then. Why, because people want them. '70 era metric bikes are giveaways. There are fields of unwanted metric bikes just rotting away. I could never understand why, with all that speed, futuristic engineering, and superior handling why they end up rusting away in the sun. I know some here feel they were worth what people spent on them. Maybe watching your money fade in to nothingness is some peoples idea of money well spent, but I just don't see it.,,

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
No truly HONEST comparison could result in considering a Harley a superior touring bike than a Goldwing. One is a noisy, thrashy, shaky, hot throwback...the other is a smooth, quiet ride.

And you just rode both? The Goldwing is smoother but has poor low speed handling vs Limited. Even the Goldwing owner said so. Wife of Goldwing owner picks Limited after 300 miles. That is how you do real comparison. Both bikes were HOT!!! Harley at low speed and Goldwing on highway.

A friend of mine sold his Goldwing and bought a Harley Electraglide 10 years ago. 120,0000 miles later....you couldn't give him another Goldwing. His words...not mine. Anybody reading this post knows the European and Japanese bikes are more technically advanced, smoother running, more powerful, etc, etc, than Harleys. As I said earlier...'if I have to explain...you wouldn't understand'. And obviously some of you don't.

Do you need a cup of coffee? Maybe a trip to the bathroom? You ride a crusier that has major problems and [censored] about Harleys. Victorys are nice bikes but that they do not make more HP than others. My Road Star Warrior would leave your M109 or the Victorys looking like they were setting still. I have done that. So? Any of my 600cc sport bikes would do the same. So? You pick an apple to talk about and complain about the orange you never ate.

Heh! Apparently even my little SV will outrun those big power cruisers in the 1/4 mile (although 12.7 is the best this old guy could run when I took it to the track last year).

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4216203

My CBR600 would be behind the vtwin cruisers at launch due to the torque of the vtwin motor and their long wheel base. After 50 feet it would all be over for the cruiser. I'm looking for a Kawasaki H2 for my next bike project. It is a rocket but don't try and turn. Looking at used 2014 Goldwings and Limiteds for long distance touring.

No not really. I care about parts availability for reasonable pricing. Choice of options. Service that can be obtained in any state without having to hope the shop has seen one of my models before. And knowing that when it comes time to move on to a different model bike, that people will be willing to buy what I'm selling, no matter what year it is. Knowing that parts are available reasonably just about everywhere. Harley's made in the '70's sell today for more then what they sold for new, back then. Why, because people want them. '70 era metric bikes are giveaways. There are fields of unwanted metric bikes just rotting away. I could never understand why, with all that speed, futuristic engineering, and superior handling why they end up rusting away in the sun. I know some here feel they were worth what people spent on them. Maybe watching your money fade in to nothingness is some peoples idea of money well spent, but I just don't see it.,,

The thing about the sport bikes is that every one wants the latest and greatest. As a result the older bikes are less desireable until they become collector's items(usually about 20-25 years). With Harleys it doesn't matter because they all have 40-50 year old tracter tech. So a 20 year old bike will have similar tech to one that's 10 years old.

And Harley still wouldn't be able to build a bike as technologically advanced as a Honda NR750 today. Despite the fact that it is over 20 years old. And I don't know of many Harleys that would fetch what a Nr750 would in terms of price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 29662

The thing about the sport bikes is that every one wants the latest and greatest. As a result the older bikes are less desireable until they become collector's items(usually about 20-25 years). With Harleys it doesn't matter because they all have 40-50 year old tracter tech. So a 20 year old bike will have similar tech to one that's 10 years old.

And Harley still wouldn't be able to build a bike as technologically advanced as a Honda NR750 today. Despite the fact that it is over 20 years old. And I don't know of many Harleys that would fetch what a Nr750 would in terms of price.

So the v-rod isn't technologically advanced?

You don't have a clue what your talking about.
Harley builds a bike for the market,just like every other manufacturer does. Harley knows their customer and I have never seen a tractor engine that even remotely resembles a twin cam engine,so that comment is incorrect.
I'm not brand loyal whatsoever. I've got 2 Hondas,a Yamaha venture and a street bob.
The nicest highway riding of my fleet is definitely my venture but my favorite is my Harley without question.
Say what you want,no matter how untrue ,about Harley's. They build a bike that their customer wants,period.
I've never seen a Harley get scrapped,and I can still find parts for a shovel head,but finding parts for my venture is nearly impossible.
Just sayin.

The v-rod engine was designed by Porsche if I remember correctly so your statement is moot. Harley is a marketing machine that most other companies hope to emulate. Their build uality is subpar compared to many of the Metric bikes as evidenced by the FACT that they are perennially at the bottom of reliability ratings. Their succes is due more to to a subculture than the design or quality of their bikes.

As a side note Harley riders ride the fewest number of average miles per year of any major brand. Hard to rack up miles when you just go to bike night and bar hopping.lol...

Yea, that tractor tech sure is low with rollerbearing ended rods, helical cut gears, that you really can shift reasonably easy without the clutch, sequential fuel injection, cylinder drop out to control heat and meet engine demands, anti-lock brakes and throttle by wire. That's some antique [censored] there.

The v-rod engine was designed by Porsche if I remember correctly so your statement is moot. Harley is a marketing machine that most other companies hope to emulate. Their build uality is subpar compared to many of the Metric bikes as evidenced by the FACT that they are perennially at the bottom of reliability ratings. Their succes is due more to to a subculture than the design or quality of their bikes.

As a side note Harley riders ride the fewest number of average miles per year of any major brand. Hard to rack up miles when you just go to bike night and bar hopping.lol...

Not everone can fit into that sub culture. Fairly dangerous place sometimes. We understand that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back