Engine Clatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever listen to the engine with the oil fill cap off? For no particular reason I did today, after doing an oil change.

Last edited:
It's fine, Diesels are loud, Removing the oil cap lets you hear more noise from the combustion events.

My Duramax has the infamous Typewriter tick, It sound just like someone pecking at an old typewriter.

Love my I 6 BMWs Even with wide valve lash , they were quiet and smooth. I took the valve cover at 300k for the first time. Lash was a consistent .002 wide. Stuff was varnished ,but not sludgy, after 175K of cheap dino 20W50 and STP filters. The Rat makes so much noise going down the road. that I am just glad it is making noise. It is the silent glide to the curb that I don't like.
laugh.gif

Sounds the same as it ever has, just never listened to the "guts" as it were. Pulls harder now, since I put in the larger turbo and had a tune (40kmiles ago). Was 100hp/177lb-ft, now around 140hp/240ft-lb (found someone's similarly modified car, same engine, same work, plots indicated that). Pulls nice and hard, although it now has a knack for smoking too at WOT.

Sounds like it runs great! I'll do the same to my aunt's 04' TDI and see if it does the same noise.

Unless it smokes like a semi, I wouldn't worry. Hers has always smoked, typically when motor is cold and when you punch it. Sometimes just randomly. I find it comical to roll some coal in it passing slow drivers.

Smokes huh? Tried a lower Noack oil to help? I think liquimoly makes a couple of products to aid you. My excuse for a car that smokes is it quit chewing/drinking.

Did that once, and splattered oil all over my clean engine cover. Never again, unless necessary.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Smokes huh? Tried a lower Noack oil to help? I think liquimoly makes a couple of products to aid you. My excuse for a car that smokes is it quit chewing/drinking.

Smokes from excess fuel. Or not enough air? Not sure which. But not from oil. Is not currently using oil over a 10k OCI.

I bet it smokes under WOT because the person that did the tune is adding some fuel on the top end to ensure that it doesnt lean out.

Ive seen a ton of VERY healthy Supras with perfect engines blow black smoke. Its the tuning. A little rich is better than a little lean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back