Green Ground Strap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really matter? What is the easiest method to clean it? Google research says vinegar and salt will remove the green copper corrosion. I am experimenting with a penny but so far I am not too impressed with the result of that method. I want something which I can spray and watch the green copper turn shiny right in front of my eyes. I presume green layer actually protects the copper and is harmless and is not like rust which keeps on attacking the metal. At least the statue of liberty is still standing even though it has been green for decades :)

In my opinion, it does not really matter and I would leave it alone. This assumes that the ground strap is properly connected at both ends.

I used to work in military electronics manufacturing and we used a term called 'gas tight connections'. This applied to crimps, old fashioned wire wraps and mechanical lug connections. Basically, the two metal surfaces are is such tight and close contact that no gas (or liquid) could come between them. Hence there is no possibility of corrosion that would degrade the electrical connection.

I'm sure that you have witnessed this when taking something really old/corroded apart and been surprised to see that under a mechanical connection that it looks brand new.

For your ground strap, if the connections are tight, I would leave them alone. Also, cleaning the copper surface corrosion will do absolutely nothing to improve your electrical performance. You do want the strap clean and the whole area free of acids and salts (vinegar is a mild acid).

I am an electrical engineer but do not pretend to be an expert at everything. Hope you get other worthwhile advice.

Cheers!

It is eventually going to rot through. The thin strands are great for flexibility but give more surface area for corrosion.

Any polish you use on it is only going to strip a layer of metal off and expose what's underneath.

I'd keep an eye on it... when it goes south you could get radio interference or wonky CEL problems. OTOH I had one corrode all the way through on my 2000 saturn with no issues. (Engine to strut tower.)

I'd leave it alone. Cleaning off the oxide means new fresh metal to rust.

If anything I'd replace it. I've only dealt with a couple of them, but when the ones I saw were real green, they were real brittle too. If it feels like there is a lot of wires left, ignore; otherwise, replace.

When you replace, it should have nice electrical contact. I'm guessing dielectric grease would be good underneath it, but I usually go for bare metal. Then spray the braid with oil to "seal" it.

I'd want to know the impedance of the connection before making any assumptions.

Since you live in the Northeast, I'd say it's simple corrosion. Make sure the connecting ends are clean and the ground strap itself is still good. As said before dielectric grease works good, they also sell spray on terminal sealer which also works great.

Something I learned from my grandfather was to clean it very well, reinstall it and spray it down really well with some hairspray. I also spray down fresh battery terminals. So far over the years it's kept the oxidation and corrosion down to very little if any.

I took a very corroded ground strap and dropped it into a cup with super hot water and baking soda. Cleaned it right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back