NAPA Synthetic - 6500mi - 06 Expedition 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Internet explore can kiss my arse!!!

i had a wonderful dialog all typed out and it failed to load and lost it.

so here's the short version:

the UOA numbers are all greek to me so i'm interested in what you all have to say:

expedition_Page_1_zpse2b3faef.jpg

Short explination.

added 3 quarts of oil in this OCI. motor was very noisey from the minute i put the oil in the crank case. consumption was a predictable 1qt/2000miles.

since switching to Trop Artic the motor is much quieter and does not show the kind of consumption i had with the NAPA synthetic. Time will tell on this OCI if the Trop artic stays quieter and consumption stays lower as the miles rack up.

this is a new-to-me vehicle and the NAPA synethic was the first oil change i did so i had nothing by which to compare.

not badmouthing the oil, but i was not happy with it and will not use it again.

I am not sure what type of use the vehicle sees, but the iron and aluminum are a little high. Did it see extended idling or heavy towing? In context, my 5.4L rarely sees above 15ppm iron and 2-3ppm aluminum no matter what I do or how long the OCI is. Otherwise, nothing else jumps out assuming the NAPA oil has sodium as part of the additive pack (sodium and potassium could indicate coolant is entering the oil).

Echoing what 2010_FX4 said, it seems the aluminum and iron are higher than normal for the 5.4 but wouldn't say there's anything wrong. Maybe the oil was in there for a long time (?) Or just short trips and very cold starts (?)

It seems fine overall, anyway.

NAPA is made by ashland(valvoline) IIRC

so a sodium additive pack would be expected.

Wear looks high, but not alarming (alum, iron)

Everything else looks good.

I'd definitely do a uoa on this change also to see what has changed. I'd expect alum and iron to go down by at least 1/3

IMHO- napa syn is no better than most conventional. I have used it in the past @3$/qt but no longer use it either.

In fact I'd prefer a top quality conv. oil such as PYB over it.

Last edited:
OP: Feel for ya on the lost text
frown.gif

I've 'almost' learned to type long-winded text into wordpad or word, then, cut-and-paste, but fat finger deletes bite me too.

Need some oil filter info with UOA. Motorcraft?

Last edited:
most of this was in the text that got lost, so sorry for the holes in the info.

useage for this OCI:
1000 miles 0f interstate towing, most of which was in 3rd gear at 65-70mph. trailer was catching enough wind that pulling in OD was almost impossible.

200 miles of light highway towing, not big enough to lock out OD.

bitter cold starts and extended idle time warming up from negative teens below zero.

no short trips to speak of. my commute to work is 25 miles, give or take with one stop at daycare to drop off my son.

used a motorcraft filter.

thanks for all the insight

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back