K&N Made in Mexico now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at O'Reilly Auto Parts and saw the K&N filters and I remember a while ago they switched from Made in USA to made in KOREA and I wanted to take a look.... well the ones at O'Reilly Auto Parts said MADE IN MEXICO... whats next??? Made in CHINA. They should at least lower the price.

Who is going to pay that high price for a K&N Oil filter now ???

Notice K&N Oil Filter and notice same model number and notice one made in USA and the other made in Mexico and notice how its smaller?

Here is what I found about about the Anti Drain back valve on Mexican made filter.

K&N switched the manufacturing of the filter to Mexico some time in the first half of 2013. K&N implemented a significant design change in the anti-drainback system of the filter when they moved the manufacturing to Mexico.

The BAD news is that the new design does not lend itself to a high-flow design and the valve prevents pre-filling the filter prior to installation. The GOOD news is that it’s easy to identify the good KN 2009 filter vs the bad filter simply by observing the country of origin marked on the shell of the filter.
Look for Country of Origin to Identify old vs new style

Made in USA, Old Style = OK to Use
Made in Mexico, New Style = Not Recommended.

2ywa2yq.jpg

Also read this at another forum from a FRAM tech Director.

Hello,
I am the tech director at FRAM Filtration. Until recently, K+N oil filters were made in our Albion, IL factory. They have transferred production to a Korean company and are no longer made in USA or made by FRAM or Champion Labs. The filter efficiency has been reduced from the mid 90's% range down to mid 80 percent range in our testing. They now have lower efficiency, lower capacity and a lower cost that they are not passing along to end users. Not trying to sound like sour grapes that we lost this customer but they are not making the filter as good as it used to be.

And now look they are made in MEXICO... I wonder what else has changed when other then just the ADBV...

Here is some more pics of USA K&N and the MEXICO made K&N Oil filters

KN2009_1a_825.jpg

Base Plate looks different

KN2009_2_825.jpg

The USA Made ByPass is at the top and most people like that....
also the Filter matereal looks thinker.

All the parts laid out on the bench. Notice that the new style has a slightly larger filtering area—not a bad thing. The rubber drain back valves are completely different, as is the filter cage, spring.

I think the USA one looks better IMO,

KN2009_3_825.jpg

KN2009_4_825.jpg

KN2009_5_825.jpg

See how mexico made Bypass is at the bottom and USA is at the top??

KN2009_6_825.jpg

KN2009_7_825.jpg

The new valve is easy to press and open, but has relatively small passages for oil flow.

KN2009_8_825.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know if the motorcycle filters moved also? I've used them for 14 years now. I know hiflo used to make them and they were great filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spector
As the address on the can etc is also different is there any chance this is a knock off filter

No, I saw the filter at a parts store and I saw it talked about at a few other online forums.
I can tell you most people are not happy.

Also about the Motorcyle oil filters,, I ll have to look into that.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Do you know if the motorcycle filters moved also? I've used them for 14 years now. I know hiflo used to make them and they were great filters.

I found a K&N Filter Motorcycle oil filter on Amazon and in the details a guy that bought it said this.

I recently bought a k&n Harley motorcycle oil filter that to my surprise was made in Thailand, and after getting these small block Chevy oil filters made in Mexico,
will no longer be buying or recommending any k&n products.

So I guess for at least HARLEY they switched.. But I have to look more into that.

I always liked these filters because they had a nut on the end of them to spin the filter off easy.

Same reason I liked the orange can of doom, lol.

Filter efficiency in the mid 80s?!? I feel much better about my PureOnes every day. Tears or not.

This doesn't help their poor filtration stigma (from the air filters). I didn't buy K+N before, but I definitely won't buy them now.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I always liked these filters because they had a nut on the end of them to spin the filter off easy.

Same reason I liked the orange can of doom, lol.

There is another filter that has the nut on the end.. K&N is not the only

TRD has the nut but I think its for Toyota

TRDOILFptr4300080.jpg

also

aFe 44-LF016 Pro Guard D2 Oil Filter for Nissan Trucks/Honda Cars

71rWUwGilOL._SL1500_.jpg

aFe if you go to there site they sell em for Chevy and FORD and about any car, I saw a huge list.

never seen one cut open but specs looks good.. Not sure if made in usa.. but K&N is not only oil filter with NUT on top.. this one is better.. Nut and you can stick 3/8 ratched end in and remove
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
OT. IMO the source and a citing of the K&N pics and info should be listed to give appropriate/proper credit to the source of the photos, so the link is below.

As for the commentary by the Fram rep also with no citing listed, similar/same comments were posted on this board some time ago. My .02

http://www.boefabrication.com/index.ph
p?/boe/article/kn-hp-2009-filter-analysis

I did say that.

Also read this at another forum

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: sayjac
OT. IMO the source and a citing of the K&N pics and info should be listed to give appropriate/proper credit to the source of the photos, so the link is below.

As for the commentary by the Fram rep also with no citing listed, similar/same comments were posted on this board some time ago. My .02

http://www.boefabrication.com/index.ph
p?/boe/article/kn-hp-2009-filter-analysis

I did say that.

Also read this at another forum

Don't know what you mean by "that". You did 'not' cite, ie., give credit to the linked picture/info site, boefabrication. Nor did you 'specifically' source the Fram rep's comments, ie., from what 'specific' forum were his comments obtained. But the latter is minor when compared to the thread topic and copying that author's work.

I think what you are pointing to in this photo is the bypass valve - not the anti-drain back valve (ADBV). The original USA made K&N has a base end bypass valve.

The ADBV on the Mexico built filter looks to still be silicone and is clearly visible in the other photos you posted.

KN2009_6_825.jpg

What's the media area of each filter? Looks to be more in the Mexico built filter, but by how much. I also see the Mexico built filter has a coil spring instead of the leaf spring to hold the guts tight.

KN2009_2_825.jpg

All the more reason for (some) filter makers to hide ISO 4548-12 information from the consumer. As the Fram tech rep said, the media efficiency has dropped way off, even though area is up.

Good "Business 101": First build a good reputation for a few years, then cheapen the product without lowering price, raising profits, then sell to an investor group and pocket your retirement & golden parachutes. Brilliant!

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Filter efficiency in the mid 80s?!? I feel much better about my PureOnes every day. Tears or not.

This doesn't help their poor filtration stigma (from the air filters). I didn't buy K+N before, but I definitely won't buy them now.

Agreed, I've settled on Fram or Wix-NAPAgold for the cartridge filters I get (TG8765 & CH10075), all 95% or better at 4548-12 >20microns.

Liked them at one time, but not going to pay that much money for ones made in Mex. Just the thought of that makes me not want one on my stuff. About like the Chinese stuff, don't want it on my car or truck, if I can help it.

Originally Posted By: thomasew
Liked them at one time, but not going to pay that much money for ones made in Mex. Just the thought of that makes me not want one on my stuff. About like the Chinese stuff, don't want it on my car or truck, if I can help it.

I used a K&N one time but it was FREE with a Valvoline Oil deal... however mine was made in USA,,, I posted pics of it....

Fram Ultra or Tough Gaurd For me or Wix/Napa but Fram Ultra and TG is good enough.

Originally Posted By: David1
but Fram Ultra and TG is good enough.

+1 recently converted from the tearolator. And if k&n dropped hiflofiltro as there motorcycle filter manufacture il switch to hiflofiltro for that.

Last edited:
The made in Mexico filters have more media because it's lower efficiency and lower holding capacity which Motorking already verified has been tested at fram on their made in Korea filters.

I too noticed the made in Mexico filters months back when researching this issue and I figured some models were outsourced to Korea while other model numbers were sourced to Mexico.

I guess K&N is banking on brand loyalty instead of knowing informed shoppers can't be fooled. Word has spread pretty quickly too, they will likely have to lower the price to compete or go back to a better manufacturer.

I have some K&N oil filters that were made in the U.S., but I remember reading that some are being made outside of the U.S. Also, I just purchased a NAPA Silver oil filter that said it was made in Mexico. I didn't notice it until after I made the purchase. I guess I should have suspected that it might not be a USA product since Wix makes the NAPA filters, and I read that some Wix oil filters are being made outside the U.S. Normally, I try to buy products that are made in USA ... to try to help the economy/job situation in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back