Hyundai sp fluid synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my Accent serviced a little while ago at the Hyundai dealer and the invoice says sp-IV synthetic fluid was used. I tried finding the information online and no luck really. Is this OEM fluid synthetic? How does the Hyundai fluid hold up compared to other sp-IV spec fluid, like Amsoil, compare?

thanks!

hyundai makes a good Transmission these days and they are really bent on using only a certain fluid. I would continue using it and servicing the transmission with them until the 10 years 100,000 mile warranty is up. I think it is synthetic which means less these days than ever in my opinion. Hyundai like all the others had problems with some v6 engines but they fixed that in 2013

Quote:
Is this OEM fluid synthetic?

It is a lower viscosty fluid of about 6.0 cSt@100C, similar to DexronVI.

It is a mojority GroupIII fluid, but if it performs well, the base oil mix matters little.

I agree that synthetic means less than in the past.

I can't speak for the more recent Hyundai's but I've been running Maxlife in my 2008 Elantra and I'm very happy with the results. I did 3 D&R's at 30K and now have 43K and she shifts perfectly.

I've contempled using Mopar ATF+4 the next time because I have some left over from an old Neon. Any thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
hyundai makes a good Transmission these days and they are really bent on using only a certain fluid. I would continue using it and servicing the transmission with them until the 10 years 100,000 mile warranty is up. I think it is synthetic which means less these days than ever in my opinion. Hyundai like all the others had problems with some v6 engines but they fixed that in 2013

Which V6's did Hyundai have issues with? I never heard of this. I do know they have issues with the DI 4 cylinders... Thanks.

Last edited:
There are no other SP-IV spec ATFs, just Hyundai & Kia (maybe Mitsubishi?). There are a few near-universal fluids "recommended" where SP-IV is required, including a couple of fluids from Amsoil.

The new designator is SP-4M.

SPIII was a conventional ATF while SPIV is a synthetic or synthetic blend ...I don't mess around using anything but the SP III or SPIV ATF Hyundai / Kia recommends !! Not worth it to experiment while vehicle is under warranty .

Originally Posted By: Ken2
There are no other SP-IV spec ATFs, just Hyundai & Kia (maybe Mitsubishi?).

Hyundai owners manuals expressly list Michang and S-K brand SP-IV ATF, in addition to Hyundai (our '11 manual did, anyway). Those fluids are not available in the USA. Hyundai/Kia doesn't license or make available their fluid spec to anyone else for the USA market, that I know of. This alone _should_ mean, IMO, that if your Hyundai or Kia needs ATF during the warranty period, they are required to provide it to you free of charge (since they call out their brand and allow nothing else in the marketplace). However, good luck getting a dealer or Hyundai USA to give that to you.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I do know they have issues with the DI 4 cylinders...

What problems are they having? I'm at about 57,000 with zero issues. Not arguing, but I'd like to know what to look out for?

As far as the other responses, thanks for the insight. The reason I do worry about 'full' syn atf is because the hydraulic functions that the fluid has to perform. I want to make sure im getting good protection.
smile.gif

FWIW, I like the shift quality of Red Line D6 in our '11 Sonata 6-speed A/T. It compared favorably with the ~50,000-mile factory-fill. I wouldn't have minded using the Hyundai fluid at all, I just wasn't gonna pay the local dealer $22/quart for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back