Coaxial cable splitting question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm adding a TV in the basement. Currently Direct TV has the signal split outside of house two ways. One going up the brick to second floor and one cable running down into basement.

Can I take the basement existing line and split it inside the property one more time with a two way splitter?

yes, you can. Watch out for every time you use a splitter to split the cable, you lose signal (2way splitter, you lose 3.5dB) strength.

Q.

It's different for satellite. There are a lot of different setups out there depending upon your equipment and the age.

You can't just use a regular splitter either.

If you have a SWM (multi-switch) and have spare ports you can run a new line off of it, it looks something like a distribution amplifier.

If you have a dedicated drop from the LNB to each receiver then you'll need to check the LNB for a spare port. Some LNB's can handle 2, others 4 ports.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
It's different for satellite. There are a lot of different setups out there depending upon your equipment and the age.

You can't just use a regular splitter either.

If you have a SWM (multi-switch) and have spare ports you can run a new line off of it, it looks something like a distribution amplifier.

If you have a dedicated drop from the LNB to each receiver then you'll need to check the LNB for a spare port. Some LNB's can handle 2, others 4 ports.

THIS!
You can't just be splitting a drop from a SWM LNB, that's asking for a disaster.
You'd need a SWM Splitter like http://www.amazon.com/Directv-8-Way-Wide-Band-Splitter/dp/B0045DVIP4
4-way-swm-splitter1.jpg

You need to describe your current setup before we can really be specific. How many wires cables come from the LNB, the dish?

You may not need that splitter. Some LNB's have multiple (4) outputs.

I would think Directv would handle this as you'll need an additional receiver too.

Bought some coaxial cable and a splitter. Both Tvs are working great!

Now, my AC is out and it's 93 degrees. Slept in the basement last night. Waiting on my home warranty to process the claim and make the necessary fixes....

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Bought some coaxial cable and a splitter. Both Tvs are working great!

Now, my AC is out and it's 93 degrees. Slept in the basement last night. Waiting on my home warranty to process the claim and make the necessary fixes....

window unit???
buy temporary and return after a week?
make sure no scrathes....
buy a couple coffees with you and go first thing in the morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back