Cheap oil filters causing low pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on a forum that some guy cured his noisy lifters in his Holden (which have Buick 3.8 V6s) by switching from a cheap ryco oil filter to a genuine GM one, whilst still using the same oil.

I also have pretty noisy lifters and I have always used ryco oil filters as well as they're always on offer for $4.50
After reading that I have just hopped on eBay and ordered a couple of ford motorcraft filters for $10 each. Cheaper than I thought as $5.50 won't go a miss over a few months!

It kinda makes sense as my engine has hyrdaulic lifters that need decent oil pressure to operate, and if the valve isn't up to scratch in the cheapo filters I might be lacking oil pressure.
Should be interesting to see whether the genuine filters make a difference but I'll report back
smile.gif

Any knowledge would be appreciated!
Thanks

If the filter has a poor anti drain back valve and the system loses prime sitting overnight then yes it would probably cause some noise. A silicone anti drain back valve type filter is optimal too prevent this. Hopefully you got the motor with an S model number.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
I read on a forum that some guy cured his noisy lifters in his Holden (which have Buick 3.8 V6s) by switching from a cheap ryco oil filter to a genuine GM one, whilst still using the same oil.

+1 I had the same experience with a 6.0L GMC. Don't ask me to explain. Noisy...change to the blue delco filter...noise gone..well until 20k when the piston slap started.

Please post a follow up. Are you saying the filter was slowing the flow of the oil? The media too fine to readily pass the oil?

More than likely the cheap filters have restricted end plates. I always consider the size and amount of holes that are in them. Some are tiny and few. Unless the filtering media is itself restrictive and then the pressure relief should open.

This is my argument with Hyundai's famous TSB to use OEM filters or risk engine knock. If it was a filter problem there would be knock even on the OEM filter unless you installed it prefilled.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

I also have pretty noisy lifters and I have always used ryco oil filters as well as they're always on offer for $4.50
After reading that I have just hopped on eBay and ordered a couple of ford motorcraft filters for $10 each. Cheaper than I thought as $5.50 won't go a miss over a few monthse!

It kinda makes sense as my engine has hyrdaulic lifters that need decent oil pressure to operate, and if the valve isn't up to scratch in the cheapo filters I might be lacking oil pressure.
Should be interesting to see whether the genuine filters make a difference but I'll report back
smile.gif

Any knowledge would be appreciated!
Thanks

Makes sense in theory - it will be interesting to hear back from you when you make the change.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Please post a follow up. Are you saying the filter was slowing the flow of the oil? The media too fine to readily pass the oil?

That's what the GMC mechanic told me. He put my truck on a lift, screwed on a new filter, started it up. Noise gone.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Picture of a Ryco filter. Do any other brand oil filters use same style valves?

That's a silicone anti drain back valve. I doubt the filter is the culprit unless faulty which is rarer with silicone.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: jorton
Picture of a Ryco filter. Do any other brand oil filters use same style valves?

That's a silicone anti drain back valve. I doubt the filter is the culprit unless faulty which is rarer with silicone.

Hmm that's a silicone valve but I can be certain that the valve on the size I use is not yellow silicone, but pinkish looking rubber

ADBV wouldn't have this affect. IF the filter was causing this it would be the media too fine and/or the bypass valve set too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back