Anyone finding open bottles of Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an oil change on my sister's van today and used a 5 quart jug of Quaker State 5W-20 that I got from Meijer to go along with another quart of QS 5W-20 to use. I went to open the jug and realized that the tamper seal didn't break when I opened it... it was already broken open. Someone likely opened it to get the code out of it to use for the Shell Fuel Rewards. I didn't feel like going all the way back to the store, but it was unnerving and frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this? The oil was fresh/new, so it doesn't seem like someone just returned used oil and the store put it back on the shelf. In retrospect, I really should have returned it but I didn't have the receipt since I bought it a few weeks ago and I was also crunched for time. Who knows what someone could've put in there.
31.gif

Yes many people are having this issue with Ultra. We had a thread where an entire store pulled all the stock of Pennzoil with codes because of theft.

Yep went to walmart to get 2 jugs of 5 w 20 and one had a broken seal so I just got one. And the last oil change I did one of the jugs was broken but I didn't notice till I was about to pour it. Didn't like it but didn't have much of a choice. I was nervous about someone tampering with it That's why I checked this time around. I didn't realize that it's was from the promo code under the cap.

Last edited:
Was in WM today and noticed a Purolator in a Bosch D+ box. The old switcheroo.

Rule #1 for BITOG'rs is to inspect the merchandise prior to purchase.

Recent visit to both, Walmart and an AAP near me had ALL the bottles of QSUD, QSSB, PPPP and PSB open. Ridiculous. My buddy changed his mind and went with the sealed bottle of EDGE Black.

Obviously a WM problem more than anything else.

Nice place to shop!

But hey, You save!!!!!!

people open the caps on pennzoil and quaker state sopus should Seal Their Ccontainers they will sell more oil. I know a few that wont buy their products because of this issue.. and this is the reason you see less of their products on the shelves because the store help does not like to keep cleaning up the spilled oil and i dont blame them.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Someone likely opened it to get the code out of it to use for the Shell Fuel Rewards. I didn't feel like going all the way back to the store, but it was unnerving and frustrating. Has anyone else encountered this?

Yes. It has been happening to the older SN PU where the codes are worth $1/gal. I've found it several times at Walmart.

I use Pennzoil, and when I went to Wal-Mart to buy several jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, I noticed a few of the jugs had been opened (before I buy them, I always check to make sure that they haven't been opened/that the tamper seal hasn't been broken). There was an employee standing there at the time, so I let him know about it. He took them off the shelf. I didn't put 2 & 2 together at the time about the Shell Fuel Rewards. I think it's a shame that there are people who are probably going around ruining these bottles/jugs of oil by opening them up to steal the code underneath the cap. A receipt needs to be required to get the fuel rewards (with an additional requirement being that if the code has been redeemed, then the oil cannot be returned to the store) ... that might stop this problem.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
A receipt needs to be required to get the fuel rewards (with an additional requirement being that if the code has been redeemed, then the oil cannot be returned to the store) ... that might stop this problem.

This is not even the slightest bit feasible.

Half of the jugs I've purchased don't even have a code under the cap, and the process to get a code is often fruitless.

Super frustrating. Shell owes me about 4 codes at the moment.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
A receipt needs to be required to get the fuel rewards (with an additional requirement being that if the code has been redeemed, then the oil cannot be returned to the store) ... that might stop this problem.

This is not even the slightest bit feasible.

Half of the jugs I've purchased don't even have a code under the cap, and the process to get a code is often fruitless.

Super frustrating. Shell owes me about 4 codes at the moment.

They owe me 6. Before I discovered which batches had the codes and ONLY purchased from those or later batches, I made the mistake of thinking they would pay off the receipt. I've received 1, and rejected on 6. The reason for the rejection was they didn't know where I had purchased the stuff...the Walmart name, address and phone number across the top of the receipt apparently not being enough of a hint for whoever is doing the validating. Afraid that this would be one of those "rebate only if you fight for it programs" (which is SOP on these types of schemes) I switched over to only batches with codes. So far, every code, on every bottle, has worked in a heartbeat. I've got about 10 codes not entered yet I'm saving for a road trip over the next 2 weeks. I call it my "finance the roadtrip with cheap motor oil" tour.

Buy a couple jugs here, a couple there, paying for the gasoline in advance with every paycheck so the wife doesn't notice and stocking up on premo motor oil....California here I come!!

I signed up for the fuel rewards and entered my codes, but I never received an e-mail confirming my account was made and I have no idea how to check the status of the codes I have or how to use them...
smirk.gif
More hassle than what it's worth, IMO.

I have to initially call to get my card activated, they sent the wife hers in the mail and that seemed to work pretty well. But the emailing in receipts and getting codes back, that hasn't gone so well.

Correction: after being turned down on 6 codes, a phone call and resending of receipts did the trick within 4 days. All 6 codes in waiting received, and being put to use.

I had to contact their customer service via e-mail to get my account setup since I wouldn't receive any of their sign-up confirmation e-mails. A day after getting my account setup, I got all of their original e-mails all at once. There must have been some sort of hold-up on their end in sending out the e-mails...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back